Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Katarina vs Leblanc

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elodin

10-13-2012

As Kat, how do i win/not fail miserably at this match up.

I haven't played it in a long time, but the last game I played against a Leblanc (right after new kat was released) I got beat so bad I haven't played her since.

Am I in the wrong to have played new Kat as old Kat?
Should I buy MR to start, maybe run more MR runes/masteries?
Should I be less aggressive? I tried killing her last time but ended up feeding horribly.

Normally I can take losses in stride, but that time I got beat so bad I'm literally scared to pick Kat in blind pick just for the off chance there will be a Leblanc going mid.

Amoc

10-13-2012

Leblanc would be a hard counter in the laning phase to Kat. Sigil of silence screws her so hard, especially since she's a melee champ.

In terms of playstyle, I think the new Kat is fairly different and requires fairly different play. You need to play far more aggressive and can't simply killer instinct + BB from a mile away anymore. To do any sort of harrass you need to trigger marks from BB, with either W or E+W.

DravenDarkwood

10-13-2012

Ok, let me start by saying yes. Yes, you shouldn't play her like old kat. She's a new critter now and needs to be played in a different way. Keep in mind, she is still kat, you still shunpo to ult and kill teams just in a different approach. I usually start my lane poking with bouncing blades with boots and 3 health pots. Every chance I get I bouncing blades and maybe a sinister steel for the damage bonus and the escape (very hit and run). Also keep in mind the range. The range on bouncing blades is longer than the thing says, but, only in a manner of speaking. If a LeBlanc is mid and just hiding behind minions you bouncing blades to the closest set on minions and let it bounce to poke her. Now look at sinister steel, this to me is a way to stay with enemies, farm minions after they've been hit with a bouncing blades (and deal bonus damage from bouncing blades in general), and to chain your burst combo. Also, it is a good juke and dodge maneuver for you, I've avoided snares and skill shots by shunpo-ing behind someone or to a minion ( or it is a good escape tool, run into a bush wait for them to come after you shunpo to them and sinister steal for the speed boost and flash over a wall :3). Now turn your gaze to shunpo. Shunpo is a great ability to close distance to a target (i.e. shunpo to a enemy minion and bouncing blade ur enemy for a kill), to reduce the damage you'll take while doing your burst combo, and to escape (i.e shunpo to a allied minion, turret, enemy minion, juked enemy champion, ward, or neutral monster). In a good situation you want to bouncing blades, shunpo to carry or squishy, sinister steel, and Death Lotus (and because of her passive you might be able to do this combo more that once, and for all intensive purposes the shunpo and sinister steel are interchangeable based on cool down or range from targets). Keep in mind, make sure you have a sliver of a delay after you throw out your bouncing blades so you can get the bonus damage and not go too fast for it to get there.

Next is the item/build part. I wouldn't worry about MR so much for items since the you'll probably be playing safe. For items I start with boots and 3 health pots. once I can afford it I get Cages Lucky Pick. Not only is this a component for Deathfire Grasp it's extra gold per 10 seconds will add up in lane. Next is Sorcerer's Shoes, pretty basic. After that I start building a Rylai's Crystal Scepter, this item gives you the health to not be so squishy and some AP, not to mention the slowing of the enemy when they take magic damage from you. Once I have that I get Deathfire Grasp, reason: BOOM health lol. Then I proceed to build a Rabadon's Deathcap, Zhonya's Hourglass, and a Void Staff. For Runes I'd get MP Marks and Glyphs, Health per level Seals and AP Quintessences (if you're worried about MR you can get MR Glyphs). Now, for masteries I'd get a 21/9/0 build (Offense = 4: Mental Force, 4: Sorcery, 1: Arcane Knowledge, 3: Havoc, 4: Blast, 4: Archmage. Defense = 3: Resistance, 1: Hardiness, 4: Durability, 1: Veteran's Scars)

And now a little more on play style. I try to Farm minions for about 20-ish minutes and then start harassing my laning enemy. However, if you find yourself pushed, don't be afraid. Not only can you destroy the minions, you can burst incredible well near the tower. Generally I only start being really aggressive once I die once, my enemy dies, or it comes to the true fighting part of the game (roaming ganks and team fights).

Now for Specifics on LeBlanc, if you can't surprise her or like I said burst her in small ways she'll be forced to be or go in for kills, which puts you in range as well. Just look for her signals.
So I hope that helps you. The Best thing I can really say to you is practice.

Amoc

10-13-2012

Some of what the above poster said is correct, but a lot of it is not. First off, mastery of Kat (which I have not achieved) I think is really going to come down to knowledge of enemy champions which will lead to knowing when, and when not, to shunpo on to them. Some champions, like Annie or Ahri, can make you look stupid for jumping on them. Know their cooldowns and only shunpo when you know you won't get stunned/charmed. Also, depending on where you're standing in lane, you may want VERY MUCH to keep shunpo in reserve as your escape. If you've pushed the lane out at all and don't know where the enemy jungler is, you probably want to hang on to it unless you think you can land a kill.

Next, lane management is difficult with Kat. Most of her abilities are aoe/multi-target. This means she pushes the lane hard, especially if you are lobbing BB's everywhere and triggering markers with SS. Don't do that. SS is great sometimes to finish off a peripheral minion if you can make sure you won't hit the whole wave, but you generally don't want to wipe out minion waves with aoe early game.

For items, do NOT build Rylais, for the love of god. It's an aweful item on Kat and completely ruins her burst potential going into the mid game. As an assassin, you're not looking to bruise it out and soak up damage. You're looking to instantly kill things and if it get rough, you have several mobility tools to hopefully escape. You also don't need the slow at all. You SS gives you a speed boost and you have Shunpo to chase, and to round it out Death Lotus has a short channel time now.

Also, do NOT rush DFG. It's a big investment and in the early stages of the game doesn't offer as much burst as other items. Your enemies won't have enough HP to make the burst cost-effective, and you're not going to have enough AP to boost the HP% damage. You also waste the GP10 component of Kage's. Instead, build your AP up FIRST and then build DFG to finish. Rabadon's is usually #1 priority after Sorc boots as it by FAR provides the most effective burst damage.

Boots1 + 3 pots
Kage's
Sorc Boots
Rabadon's
then (in no particular set order)
Zhonya's
Abyssal or Void Staff
THEN
DFG as a last or next to last item.

Amatzikahni

10-13-2012

^ What Amoc said.

I'm still an advocate of Gunblade, but I may be holding onto the old meta too tightly.

EyeMtheStron9est

10-13-2012

Use Q to poke early. If she leaps use E to dodge it.

-If you can out damage her do this-
If you become silenced and she can't jump away (besides flash) follow her and right click when your aa is up. Use W as you chase.
You should do more damage to her due to her being pretty squishy.
___
-Items-
Boots 1 3 hp pot.
NEGATRON CLOAK.
Sorc shoes.

Grats, you won your lane.
(Source: 2600 elo kat player)

Elodin

10-14-2012

I love you all, thanks for the advice, when I get the chance I hope I'll be able to pick her up as a possible secondary main.