Syndra Quality of Life/Useability changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kitkala

10-12-2012

hells yes!!!!

Drewid

10-12-2012

When I use force of will I'm tired of taking one point of damage and discarding a blue card.

Legacy40k

10-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpheliaImmortal View Post
I really like Syndra myself (but get raged at for picking her)
Have you considered increasing her base movement speed? It is really bad with the type of kit she has.
I agree with this.

I find her fun to play, but she's just not very effective most of the time, easily being countered by most other mid characters. Giving her a bit more speed would help her get in, cast her spells, and get out quicker. Characters with high movement speed are virtually impossible to hit and can in fact hit Syndra without retaliation.

Runelord666

10-12-2012

Syndra looks great on paper but with out the QoL changes she needs so badly she is just collecting dust right now.

I think these changes will help her though there is the more problematic issue with Q for me as it isway to slow to go off. The ball appears prior to damage and to me its to clunky. Its timing should be more inline to damage going off as you already get a glow to where it appears. Maybe a .5/.75 sec delay/advance for Q.

Personally I feel E is fine now. W is a little slow for my personal reaction time. And finally fixing R it looks like. I hope the range will stay in as she has mega range on her other casts.

HailSing

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2012

I wish her Q would land more quickly and less mana intensive

IICrowII

10-12-2012

I suspect that making the stun actually usable as expected will be sufficient to make Syndra strong. The potential range on it is just nuts, and I'm having a hard time picturing that not having Jayce-esque levels of power for poke comps. IMO hold off on the ultimate range upgrade until the results from the usability of the other abilities are in.

Saiansupayann

10-12-2012

This actually might work, glad to see that you are making it faster to grab minions and spheres.

Grann Brigitte

10-12-2012

Syndra has some serious problems which are not adressed by QOL and number changes:

1. Her passive is a really poor design. It does nothing whatsoever until level 9, and at level 9 it provides a moderate damage boost to 1 spells (nobody would ever max the other spells first, because the rewards for those spells is so negligible that a player would likely never notice them (or even the Q upgrade) if not informed in writing. It also completely fails to impart flavor to Syndra- She's not some meditant, she isn't transcending anything or into anything, Syndra wants POWER. In most AP carries, their passive is a huge part of their playstyle and uniqueness. Syndra shouldn't be left out of this!

2. Dark Spheres are all drawback. Pretty much all of Syndra's uniqueness comes from Dark Sphere manipulation, but in most cases even the best usage of Syndra's abilities is worse than easily used abilities in other AP's. Look at Orriana, for example: She gets a similar (but markedly better) Q and similar (but markedly better) W. Her Q even persistently scouts instead of only for a second. The Dark Sphere reliance ends up being 100% downside for most of her abilities; Making a sphere is most of her damage, but you need those spheres to apply her slow outside of lane, to stun enemies, and to empower her ult. This often means being forced to choose between hitting an enemy with q or setting up a stun with q. Getting both on a competent player is ludicrously difficult.

3. Her ultimate is both bland and weak. Single target nukes are horrible to balance, especially as an ultimate. Either the number is too high, and the ability is preposterously broken (see pre-nerf leblanc), or the number is too low, and the ultimate achieves nothing. At the moment, Syndra's ultimate damage is quite high, but it's range makes it very difficult to use it on champions that will not have high mitigation, and it's high cooldown demands that it is used correctly and even sparingly. The ultimate also clusters her spheres around the target, a factor that could be highly interesting but isn't (because spheres don't do much after they are made).

To this end, I would suggest:

Heavy modification of her passive in order to make it into something which ties the champion together instead of just random small bonuses. In this I see two routes: Upgrade the max rank bonus of Transcendence so that maxing an ability significantly changes her play, or replace it with an improved and more flavorful passive.

For the first option, I've had some ideas-

1. Dark Sphere: At maximum ranks, Dark Spheres will emit a pulse of damage 1 seconds after being created or being moved equal to 0.2 x the abilities normal damage

This makes so many of Syndras abilities so much more rewarding. Suddenly, you get bonus damage for Scattering orbs into just the right places, for leading Q's properly, and for ulting well- adding avoidable bonus damage to her ultimate makes it more punishing for bruisers who just want to wade into the thick of things, as opposed to a more mobile ranged. It also rewards you for targeting someone with nearby allies.

Alternatively:

At Max ranks, Dark Spheres will produce an entropic link between themselves and the nearest Dark Sphere. This link damages enemies which cross it.

This passive upgrade adds greater interest to her abilities which move spheres. By creating linked spheres and then moving them, Syndra can force enemies to take damage from the links using W and E to change their orientation, and her ultimate creates a dense cluster of links which is hazardous to walk through.

2. At Max rank, Force of Will's cooldown is reduced by 2 seconds for every enemy champion damaged by it.

Force of Will is very, very difficult to hit with. This passive rewards players for doing it well, rather than amplifying it's effects minutely when it does hit

or

Force of will's range becomes bounded only by visible Dark Sphere's

This makes the ability have greater potential to "catch" an enemy (something the current Force of Will has huge problems with),and rewards players for good sphere placement.

3.At max rank, Scatter the weak increases Scattered orb stun detection by a 200 radius, and the spell width by 50%.

This passive not only makes the orb stun far more usable, but is actually strong enough that a Syndra player might consider building differently to get it earlier.

or

Scatter the weak becomes cooldownless, instead becoming based on 2 periodically refreshing charges. Multiple Scatter the weak's cast in the same 5 seconds do reduced damage.

This gives Syndra the option to potentially use the ability both offensively and defensively in the same engagement, or to aim orb stuns in multiple directions.

But, if we wanted to give her a cool new passive altogether, I like:

Power-Mad: When Syndra deals damage to an enemy champion with any of her abilities, she gains a fixed percentage/ flat amount of ability power scaling with level for a short period (10 seconds?).

This passive heavily rewards players for landing their skillshots, and further enforces Syndra's playstyle of building damage with Q and W then dropping a cataclysmically large ult on someone.

This passive would give Syndra a unique form of damage scaling to supplement her unreliable utility abilities, and do so much for preventing her from being constantly overshadowed by the slew of AP carries with both better damage and utility.

These passive changes adress problems 1 and 2, but not 3.

For syndra's ultimate to be ''better'', I feel it should have a very short cooldown (relatively speaking, as an ultimate a short cooldown is 15-30 seconds), and no base damage. It would scale exclusively with the number of orbs present. This change really ties the champion together; instead of having one big burst which is clunky and demanding to use, Syndra instead gets a potent and flexible tool for re-arranging her orbs that doesn't feel horribly wasteful to use on a resilient character.

If you read this, thanks! I really like the flavor, appearance, and playstyle of Syndra- I just want her to reach her full potential : )

KinkyBambina

Recruiter

10-12-2012

i can play her perfectly ash she is .........but ...................u wanna make my combo's easier oke i dont mind XD

no sriously i love Riot's attention to its summoner
KEEP IT UP MOST RESPONSIVE GAME DEVELOPERS THAT IVE SEEN IN MY LIFE

Jinxis

10-12-2012

Ultimately one of the biggest problems I feel with Syndra is scatter the weak. One of an AP's main roles in burst and CC. Syndra's CC simply isn't reliable enough for her to fill the role of an AP champion. I really feel that this ability just kind of needs a rework. A reliable stun could go a long way to making her much more potent.