@Riot Writing a report on why LoL is trying to be the most sophisticated MOBA

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Raptamei

Senior Member

10-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flandre View Post
To be fair, DotA2 also does the whole community thing. Heck, they had Honor before it was called that, and they even have a neat little blurb that tells you if someone you reported had action taken against them. There's also a neat low-priority queue where all the trash goes, too.
Dota 2 also:

- Does not have ranked mode. It actually does not have elo at all, and no way to deduce which players on a team are more skilled and should pick carries, so everyone assumes they're going to have to carry.

- Does not have proper matchmaking (it actually matches players based on their average KD and gold per minute, which sounds awesome until you realise support exists).

- Retains pointless features that make the game more complex without adding gameplay. Some items require recipes to upgrade them, others do not, some can be improved by buying the same recipe multiple times. One point of armor adds +19% EHP instead of +20% seemingly just to make the math more difficult.

- Does not give two ducks about the newbie experience, instead it just throws you in (granted we'll have tutorials for that soon) and then matches you up with people with 600 wins so you get owned. There is no way to see/hear the hero abilities in action at a glance, ensuring you will have to actually try them yourself or watch a 4 minute movie on youtube for every single one of them.

- Is claimed to be very well balanced but there is actually a clear tier list, win rates range from <40% to >60% (Riot takes immediate action if win rates exceed about 55%) and many heroes are pick/ban/lose.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Compla

Senior Member

10-12-2012

Guys, it's not another DotA v LoL thread. We've got plenty of those somewhere else where no one wants to see them.


This is solely focused on Riot's marketing strategy, and how they craft an argument out of their game design.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vrouge

Senior Member

10-12-2012

Well hey there I thought I'd just stop by and tell you how misinformed you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compla View Post
There were close to a hundred different heroes in DotA
At last count it was 110.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compla View Post
the arena you fought in was vast and often random
Last time I checked the map itself never changed and only the rune and neutral spawns and even then it was from a limited pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compla View Post
mistakes by design were harshly punished
Because it's a competitive game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compla View Post
First of all, the company rotates champions that are available for free to anyone to perhaps a dozen per week.
This is nothing but a clever way of limiting your champion pool. No matter how limited or diverse your pool of characters is, you're still going to have to learn them. Artificially limiting the pool isn't going to help in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compla View Post
Instead of having to learn one hundred heroes all at once, new players can take it easy and introduce themselves to the game at the pace that the weekly free champion rotation sets.
It's called bot games you dimwit. Any new player can just delve into bot games at their own leisure and spend however much time is needed to learn a fair portion of heroes and items before hopping into the PvP matchmaking. Did I also mention that every single hero is unlocked at the players' leisure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compla View Post
Clear, informative visuals...
I lol'ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compla View Post
The champion designs from the models to the look of their abilities are geared to give you a clue to what they are supposed to do without even knowing the details
What is a scantily dressed blue woman in a bikini gonna do I wonder... swim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compla View Post
All visuals are designed to be functional, efficient, and informative.
The visuals are really unclear to distinguish sometimes. In the midst of a 5v5 teamfight it's a sea of bright flashy lights, oversized health bars and name tags with a hint of confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compla View Post
Clearly they are trying to tell new players that they will never be limited by the game design;
Unfortunately for the new player it will take a while before they realise that this statement is a fallacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compla View Post
that your ability to perform will be tied to your skill
Or when your flash is up, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compla View Post
They opened an ambitious player-driven reporting system called Tribunal designed to overwhelm the toxics with the silent majority of normal people that were fed up with them.
In which Tribunal members get free IP, cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compla View Post
All of the closed doors that kept the original DotA and MOBAs in general away from the main stream of video games are being thrown open by League of Legends
Dota is a custom map of Warcraft 3 - it cannot ever truly be free even if the developers tried and yet it still managed to attract a following of millions by word of mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compla View Post
Seeing how League of Legends on a peak day had 5 times as many users as the combined top 100 games on Steam last Friday?
Meanwhile the amount of concurrent Steam users is still higher. Steam is not a game, it's a gaming service and storefront.

And no I'm not wanting to turn this into a Dota vs LoL argument but those pieces of information were quite misinformed to say the least. Of course what would this Mr. Reimer know anyway.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OBITWIZZLE

Senior Member

10-12-2012

TRY to write reports your teachers won't hate instantly.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vrouge

Senior Member

10-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptamei View Post
@ Raptamei, Glorious Basher of Dota
Dota 2 also:

- Does not have ranked mode. There is a hidden matchmaking rating but it's obvious you wouldn't have known that. Normal Dota IS ranked mode my friend.

- Does not have proper matchmaking Beta beta beta beta beta beta.

- Retains pointless features Features that only a person who's played Dota for a long time can understand and appreciate its purpose. You have no idea what you're talking about. Some items don't need recipes because the stats given are already adequate enough for the price you pay for the sub-items.

Other items use recipes to fill in the void of not having adequate enough stats on it or so that you can further upgrade their stats. What's wrong with that? There are a lot of things that aren't straightforward in Dota but so what? One point of agility grant 0.14 armor but then how much is that worth? Easy - scroll over your armor value and it gives you the exact % of physical damage mitigation.

Here's an example: I want to make an item that grants +12 agility and +28 damage. The base items for it would be Blade of Alacrity (+10 agility) and a Claymore (+24 damage). The only way to get 2 more Agility would be to get 2x Ironwood Branches or 1x Circlet of Nobility but then I'll also end up having +2 Strength and +2 Intelligence. Instead, I could just use a recipe to remove the hassle of having to use items that give other stats.

- Does not give two ducks about the newbie experience, instead it just throws you in (granted we'll have tutorials for that soon) and then matches you up with people with 600 wins so you get owned. There is no way to see/hear the hero abilities in action at a glance, ensuring you will have to actually try them yourself or watch a 4 minute movie on youtube for every single one of them.

There will be a thorough tutorial and mentoring system not to mention there's already bot games. If a newbie gets matched with a person with 600 wins then you're probably playing another game. You're retarded right? If you go to the heroes tab every single hero has a short few seconds clip of what the ability looks and sounds like.

It's too obvious that you've not played the game lately. If you did then you wouldn't have posted this argument.

- Is claimed to be very well balanced but there is actually a clear tier list, win rates range from <40% to >60% (Riot takes immediate action if win rates exceed about 55%) and many heroes are pick/ban/lose.

And LoL doesn't have a tier list? Competitive play =/= casual pub play. Pub players make up 90%+ of players and are free to do whatever they want. At this point it seems you are clearly retarded. What does a hero in pubs having 58% or 42% have to do with how balanced they are? Here's an example: in competitive play Invoker - a hero said to be really imbalanced has a 50% win rate. There are many heroes who are picked from time to time with over 55% win rates and commonly picked heroe swith less than 50% win rates. Does that mean the ones with less than 50% are weak? Is Windrunner all of a sudden weak just because she has a competitive win rate of 46%? Is Faceless Void OP because of his 56% win rate? Your argument carries as much weight as a feather.

Yeah you mean how Riot loves to stop the game from evolving by nerfing anything new and rehashing the same concepts and mechanics?