How is alistar?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nerd Bird

10-22-2012

I played against him once i we coould not gett him off our bottom turret. But i tried playing him, with the same build and runes, but i got pwnd. Tips? Tricks? Dont play him?

SFG mAEtb0y

10-22-2012

Build super tanky and disrupt the other team hard. You will win every direct engagement. He does poorly against backdoor teams though.

NamKim

10-22-2012

I am not a super high elo player or anything like that. So, do take my advice with a grain of salt.

But I think Alistar's power lies in his ability to defend his turret for a pretty long time from multiple enemies, especially if you have the garrison summoner spell.

His ground slam is a CC that affects multiple champions.
His headbutt allows you to go from one edge of your turret to the other if there is an enemy there.
His heal gives him some sustainability.
His passive hurts minions, good combo with his heal.
His ultimate makes him much tankier and is pretty much a QSS.

It would take even some of the more powerful champions awhile to take a good Alistar down. I find that if I build correctly (which doesn't happen too often), it usually takes multiple champions to take me down. Now, I wish my allies would take advantage of the opportunity to take other points instead of traveling half way across the map in a futile attempt to save my point, but to each his own.

Edit: And also the fact he is the king of CC. Stick with someone who can deal tons of damage, this combo will take down most champions pretty easily.

SFG mAEtb0y

10-22-2012

For soloqueue, I think Blitzcrank is stronger. If you build tanky (Sunfire, Shurelya's, Randuins, etc.) you can usually last a long time in 1v3 fights and sometimes get a kill. You can bait ambushes, stall out by forcing opponent to chase you, win 1v1 vs an unfed carry, and with ghost/shurelya's/w you can backdoor all day long. Plus in a teamfight your disruption is almost as good as Alistar.

Catnium

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-22-2012

alistar doesnt need to be strong just immortal
if you cant kill him you cant stop him from taking your turrets

NavyGothic

10-22-2012

NamKim's post is great, but I'll mention that a Triforce Ali can actually deal some very decent damage.

It makes him a much stronger teamfighter. Enemy players are conditioned to never focus the tank, so you might as well deal some damage along with your CC!

It does make you a little weaker for those "lol garrison is up, come at me bro" moments, but I think it's a stronger all round build for most games.

SFG mAEtb0y

10-22-2012

Triforce Alistar is too squishy. He doesn't need to do damage, that's what everyone else is for. Maybe it works at your level of play, but any smart player will see that he's going for damage and melt him in a fight.
You'd actually be surprised how capable champions that build full tank are at killing squishier targets. You don't do your damage very fast, but in a 1v1 situation, they will be doing very little damage to you and you will be cc'ing and doing slightly more than no damage to them. Your dps>their dps.

HaIfhearted

10-23-2012

Ehh, Triforce is pretty decent on Alistar, but I wouldn't get it too early.
Grab a Sheen as a 2nd-3rd item, and just hold on to it until you've become fairly bulky, then finish the upgrade and maybe work on some more damage after that as well.

Alistar is definitely a solid tank, but he suffers from an overall lack of damage, so don't run him with an extremely low-damage comp.

Redenbacher

10-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardRAWKR View Post
Triforce Alistar is too squishy. He doesn't need to do damage, that's what everyone else is for. Maybe it works at your level of play, but any smart player will see that he's going for damage and melt him in a fight.
You'd actually be surprised how capable champions that build full tank are at killing squishier targets. You don't do your damage very fast, but in a 1v1 situation, they will be doing very little damage to you and you will be cc'ing and doing slightly more than no damage to them. Your dps>their dps.

This is simply untrue, in my experience.

You're not rushing Triforce... that's asking to get squashed... but Alistar reaches points in the game where his tankiness far outweighs anything the enemy can dish out, and that's when he can afford to invest in another piece of trinity force.

His base damage is high, making him a fair candidate for a Sheen. His ultimate gives him 75 bonus AD - nearly a free IE in AD - making him a fair candidate for the AS + crit offered by Zeal and TF. The phage/slow is icing on the cake.

There is tankiness, and then there is too much tankiness. Maybe you don't, but I find myself defending a turret 2v1 multiple times in nearly every game I play, and if you're unable to deal relevant damage, it doesn't matter how tanky you are. Weaving your CC with sheen-charged auto-attacks gives you the damage output to kill the squishy while absorbing whatever they can dish out, without sacrificing your capacity to be disruptive.

I believe that if you build so tanky that you're unkillable, the enemy will ignore you. So that entire 6-10 seconds or so your ground slam is on cooldown? They're focusing your allies. Build a tiny bit squishier (while still maintaining massive damage reduction on your ultimate), but deal much more damage - now you're a tough target worthy of focus, taking damage your allies are not taking.

Also, I've spectated numerous high Elo Dominion games where the Alistar builds Trinity Force at some point in the game. So the, 'at your level of play' argument is moot. His ultimate affords him the breathing room to work in that single damage item coupled with his typical Frozen Heart + other tank items.

Your primary goal with Alistar should always be to max CDR - but if you have the opportunity to work in sheen/TF, it doesn't hurt you to do so.

Duelpower

10-23-2012

You'll want these items:
Frozen Heart
Shurelias
Aegis
Triforce
Merc Treads
MR can be bought with negatron cloak as needed, usually doesn't get upgrade though.