Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Ezreal

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZTD09

10-07-2010

What programs do you use for designing and where did you learn it?
(If you can't tell I'm very interested in this!)
If working at Riot as fun as it sounds? And how often in an average day of work do you get to play the game?

Ezreal

Senior Recruiter

10-07-2010

Quote:
eLmu:
how about making flash disabled 'till like 10-12 min mark.
'cause omg. early game is zzzz's for gankers

We considered it, but eventually we deemed it wonky (after all, we removed promote from the game in part because the initial disable timer felt wonky).

Quote:
LoveBrian:
Does that mean The Water Wizard was/is cancelled?

I'm afraid so, though it is always possible that we may someday resurrect old champions.

Quote:
Reuva:
This thread has been out for a while now and no red has paid any attention to it so far i would like to know your thoughts on this http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=85152

I know rammus is a good single target dps and can easily taunt the carry, but other tanks do alot better such as shen and amumu who can control a whole team with a well placed taunt/stun.

I generally don't click on links (I answer too many posts to go to all of the links). As for Rammus, he has some pretty sweet buffs coming next patch =-D.

Quote:
Stexe:
I would LOVE to hear an official answer on what you can't give out the names of people who worked on the game. You see, in every other media (television, books, movies, music) they always include the name of all the people who have worked on the product... even most video games do this. So WHY hasn't Riot come forward with the names of the people who have not only coded League of Legends, but the people who have acted in it?

Seriously, I can not understand why.

I'm afraid I'm not in a position to give the official answer, but I assure you we have our reasons =-P.

Quote:
me2893:
when you start testing a champion what does he look like? In other words before you start testing a champion do you complete their champion model or do you proxy it with karthus or something?

We always proxy champions (for example, Irelia was Referee Katarina), though we sub them in with their final model as soon as possible.

Quote:
299792460:
Are there more Sivir buffs coming along?

Personally, I'd like to see a buff/rework to her Spell Shield, the mana refund component is useless mid and late game, and against any decent player who knows how to feint, it's also useless early game.

Yes there are, well, one in fact. We're going to increase her ultimate's attack speed, but reduce it's ally benefit to 1/3 (which is only a 2.5% reduction to allies in the end). We were going to add a cooldown refund effect, but it turned out to be difficult with the 12 sec level 5 c/d.

Quote:
Duel:
Wow, I am really excited for this champ now. I thought Swain was going to be the big disable champ, but maybe Lux will turn out better. Can you give us any little hints as to what some of her abilities are?

I would love to, but I try to avoid giving away info from other designer's champions. Though I will give the name of her first spell: Light Binding. Try to figure out what it does from there...

Quote:
BlueSquared:
As an avid Akali player, this makes me afraid a bit. I can certainly see the qualms about old-guard champions having trouble getting attacks off her on it, but many of the newer champions (who are stronger overall, imo) have no problems heaping punishment on her the moment she uncloaks.

I don't quite know what do do about this (considering I've only been really thinking about this as I type, and that it's your guys' jobs :P ), but she would have to really receive some sort of defensive buff elsewhere to make up for it.

We actually opted to not make this change quite yet, though I still want to do it. Though I will say that when/if we do make this change, it will meet with a comparable survivability buff on the spell.

Quote:
Anaestheticz:
@Ezreal

As a computer programmer/designer that you are, how did you get through Intro to Computer Science without crying? That **** is HARD! I'm struggling when it comes to creating programs on the spot (exams), but when I'm given an assignment to do to turn in a week later, I can sometimes be fine about it.

Please give me some motivation to continue to program because I love it, but I don't feel like I'm going to make it through the intro courses and I REALLY want to program codes for games.

Well, I started out with simple scripting systems from pre existing games. Try using Starcraft 2's map editor and get the hang of it. Creating something that you can actually mess around with is pretty addicting, then move on from there. Seeing your vision come to life is quite an amazing thing.

Quote:
Gunkuu:
So what exactly are you saying here? No changes due to it being a bit bigger than alistar's hard disable, or maybe changes, or a bug fix... ? Basically do you have any plans for it at this time? If you would be so kind to clarify, maybe I'm just not reading correctly. Thanks for all the other info though!

Well, I found a bug that made it display a shorter range than it actually was. So after I updated that I thought the range was adequate, tell me if I'm wrong next patch.

Quote:
Vudan:
I love Kog. I heard that the scholar Kog was in the works and that is fantastic. I think a Hextech Kog would be AMAZING. Glowing eyes and a big gun barrel in his mouth would make it neat. Bullets instead of acid is even more awesome. (the ooze could be oil, so no real issues there.) He'd be like a WW2 cannon thing. As is Kog only has 2 skins, both of which are recolors. (I want the red one though... If it goes on sale, I shall nab it.)

Also Ezreal could use an anime skin. Big crazy hair and colorful weaponry would make for a fun and cool addition. Oh yes, Garen needs a superhero skin. Panth too lol.

Besides skins, what are your 5 favorite champs to play with? I like Kog, Veigar, Anivia, Yi, and Nidalee.

Well, I don't want to promise anything as far as skins go, after all, we don't know when any of these will come out. We've also considered Hextech for a ton of champions, including Koggy.

As for my champions...hmmm, that changes patch to patch. My usual favorites are Kog'Maw, Kassadin, Amumu, and Sona for right now. Though I try to do a different champion every game so I keep a diverse view on how they're doing.

Quote:
CheeseBurguer:
will you make Mordekaiser bigger ?

Doubtfully, he looks pretty good as is imo.

Quote:
Scrimshaw:
Ezreal,
Thank your for your feedback and acknowledgment it means a lot to us players. You did miss one thing in my lengthy post however, Have you considered having Seismic Shard scale off attack damage? doing so fits into his original design of fighter implying physical damage and it will have awesome synergy with his brutal strikes, this will also open him up to an number of options for builds so that he is less situational and not so easy to counter. What is your honest opinion here?

P.S. please update his tag to reflect 'Tank' or add an 'anti-carry' category

I'm not sure about that one, it may be a good idea...but I'm on the fence.

As for the tags, I'll try to remember that for tomorrow.

Quote:
SuperSnoob:
Ez i love to play malhazar but why does everyone think hes bad....is it because of tier list

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...38#post2303438

btw love all ur champs....ur a talented designer

They think he's good, but he doesn't fit into a meta (since he is a single target dps as opposed to an aoe dps).

Quote:
WWRaptorJesusDo:
how do you feel about the fact that EZ has been nerfed to hell for no reason other than crybabies?

Haha, plenty of the nerfs were merited, I'll have to see about getting some of them reverted.

Quote:
SuperSnoob:
Dont know who design the ninjas in this game but they made a mistake..........these ninjas are mages in ninjas clothing.......where is my AD/AS super ninja.......plz Ezreal do us ninja lovers a favor and design a NINJA....not AP mage wit ninja suits...PLZ...IM BEGGING PLZ.....design a flippin ninja....PRETTY PLZ.

btw shen is cool....hes a tank so hes excused.......

We don't have any ninja's in the pipeline coming up, but if we were going to do a new ninja, I would definitely make him AD =-D.

Quote:
KlaraPink:
Hey Ez, I played AD Ezreal today. I didn't find him nearly as fun as AP Ezreal, It just sorta makes him like every other boring ranged DPS. Which do you prefer, after all these changes? AP or AD?

I actually prefer hybrid (Trinity Force and Guinsoo's Rageblade for me).

Quote:
Evolution Of War:
Kennen's Electrical Surge passive gets stronger with AD. Increase ASPD, you'll stun with your abilities as well. Basicly, Ult for AoE stun, Shuriken for more marks, rush for escapes. It's viable, and though I haven't tested it, I've see others use it well.

No more energy champs will be made... So you could wait for Irelia. She's a 'ninja' quote PC gamer.

Thanks for your response, Ezreal! Glad to know you pay attention to us! I happily away more info on Lux... Like someone asked for hints on her abilities. Hehe.

I gave a hint earlier in this post, oh and Irelia isn't a ninja, though she is from Ionia.

Quote:
Polaritie:
A quick Nidalee rant. Reply appreciated.

@Riot, buff Nidalee, okay? For starters, reduce the cooldown on Bushwhack at high levels, and reduce that ****ed 2-3 second arming delay. Most champions late game run the width of its radius in about a second. It takes way too long to trigger to ever be aimed in a fight. If this could be consistently placed on Threat #1, that alone would greatly increase her viability. Of course, Cougar needs a look too, its currently useless for anything but chasing, escaping, and farming creeps. Human form feels like a toolbox. Heal, poke, trap. Cougar form needs to be buffed for fighting. Seriously. Give it some innate defenses (Maybe 10/20/30 armor/MR instead of 10% dodge), and buff those ratios so it actually does damage late game. Swipe has a .2. If you build a Zhonja's Ring, you get a whopping 30 damage added on to this. From 150 AP, at least. Seriously, this skill has the absolute worst ratio in the game. I don't mind Pounce being someone weak-its a low cooldown movement skill. But Swipe is both hard to aim and does nothing except damage. It shouldn't be this weak. Its part of Nidalee's freaking ultimate! Takedown is clearly a finisher burst move, Pounce is movement with damage, but Swipe... swipe is so useless, that if it was on W people would be able to justify not taking a point of Bushwhack before 6. As is, you have to level Bushwhack by then for Pounce, which is both miles above Swipe in utility AND damage. What do you want Cougar to do? Because as is, it feels like a movement skill. 90% of the time I use cougar is just to get places faster.

I'm not looking at Nidalee right now, though I will pass this off to someone else.

Upsilon

10-07-2010

Do you really think that buff to Sivir will make her good, because I sure don't. The problem with her is that she literally has to get in the middle of combat because of her piss poor range. On top of that her hp gain per level is horrendous, and her boomerang skill goes so slow an anivia without boots could easily dodge it early game with little to no timing.

/endsmallrant

Naruto Uzumaki

10-07-2010

Simple question, do you and the Riot admins play any other AoS?

Ripzz

10-07-2010

Hmm soo I just realized we have no zombie champs...I don't consider amumu a zombie lol. We need a champ that raises the dead from the soil below haha! Has there been any talk about making a zombie champ or maybe even another skeleton?

Oh and btw Ez and Kog' are amazing!

Whoever made Ken big props to them!!! ^_^

I hope TF gets some love soon.

Almighty1

10-07-2010

What do you think of buffing TF's attack range to 550? What about +0.1 damage/AP increases for WC and PaC?

Why is Sivir's attack range so low? Can't you increase it to 475-500 but keep the bounce distance at 400? With the spell shield dilemma, have you guys considered scaling the cooldown less (somewhere between 15 and 20 perhaps?) and refunding half of the cooldown on blocking a spell?

P.S. Imo this is the best @Red thread on the forums, and the first one I've posted in :P

Tarias

10-07-2010

Did you ever thought about a Samurai themed hero? I mean there are Ninja... there is a chinese warrior wheres the samurai?
(give him Iaido sword style and you can give him your loving teleport (or a very quick move) while is is drawing his sword)

NDfXTKlFxuKSbeRT

10-07-2010

Hi Ezreal,thanks for your reply
So here is the old question asked many times before:
Tryndamere's spnning slash's effect range doesn't fit his model well,that means we usually deal 0 dmg when we actually see the blade touch the foes.
Its not only hard to understand for newbie players but also an early game problem since its the only offensive ability besides poor auto-attack.
So can you give him a little help?
I know he is hard to balance but i believe this wont change him much but give him a better gameplay.
Thanks in advance.

Gumb E

Recruiter

10-07-2010

It is amazing that you've kept up with replies on a daily basis. You're not even Customer Support or Community Diplomat or anything. This has been really great to read and it's now one of the tabs that automatically starts whenever I start a new session of Chrome.

Thanks for the info on y'all's decision never to make summoner spells unique. I still disagree with it, personally, as I believe that a little bit of annoyance and me first! clamoring is preferable to spells simply never getting used... but you guys clearly have a good reason and I'm glad to hear the idea has already been considered.

Quote:
Almighty1:
P.S. Imo this is the best @Red thread on the forums, and the first one I've posted in :P

So we've got 3 ninjas now and 2 pirates... where's our caster pirate who Keelhauls you, Shivers your Timbers, and then Adds Scurvy to deservin' targets?
Somewhere in there, a wheel should appear over enemies' heads and spin them to a random facing... actually that's too goofy, but I still like the mental image.

But seriously, any pirates in Riot's pipe?

Vudan

10-07-2010

Just wondering... Why does veigar's physical attack do physical damage? It seems that since he's throwing magical ball of magic, it should do magic damage. Not too much of a big deal, but I was wondering why you guys don't make people who attack magically do magic damage instead. (Ryze lightning bolt things, veigar energy ball, yadda yadda yadda.)