Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Snipawolfe

01-27-2013

Quote:
Ezreal:
A champion who is based on randomness is flawed, as it is impossible to balance.

Fix Brand pls. Make his ult target champions or something.

NJewk

01-27-2013

Can we ever expect riot to make the right decisions when it comes to Sivir? I'll give them a hint. Give her more range and change her ricochet back to a toggle. THAT was the defining part of sivir's kit, and they destroyed it. People used to think that she was weak, but she wasn't. Now she's weak when it's an active with a cooldown. She had a brief surge of popularity when her ultimate was used as a shurelias for disengage, but that was also destroyed with nerfs.

Rivini

01-27-2013

Quote:
NJewk:
Can we ever expect riot to make the right decisions when it comes to Sivir? I'll give them a hint. Give her more range and change her ricochet back to a toggle. THAT was the defining part of sivir's kit, and they destroyed it. People used to think that she was weak, but she wasn't. Now she's weak when it's an active with a cooldown. She had a brief surge of popularity when her ultimate was used as a shurelias for disengage, but that was also destroyed with nerfs.

+1 million

I want the old W back, too. How it is now is literally the worst bouncing ability in LoL. Each bounce adds nothing like the other bouncing abilities do and the damage is pretty low.

Riot pls

Raykn

01-27-2013

You guys should add an upgrade to wriggles lantern that gives it more stats and pink wards. To make it more useful late game.

01-27-2013

What about a Sheogorath type champion? He could be Thresh's arch nemesis. I really feel that heroes in LoL usually have a much shallower lore compared to anti-heroes or monsters (bad guys). This would give you the chance to make a "hero" type character who has a very particular lore. What I mean is not to copy Sheogorath (duuh), but to make a champion that is insane because insanity is a mercy, a bitter one, sure, but still a mercy. Lulu comes close to this, but she's more of a fairy tale insanity champion. btw I don't have any personal interest whatsoever in a Sheogorath champion, I barely even know that guy (don't look at my name, ty)

Man Mode

01-27-2013

Quote:
Ezreal:
We have rarely had success with ability power champions focusing on auto attacks (Kennen is one of the few). That being said, I do definitely think we could try out a full out AP auto attacker. It would certainly mess with the meta in the bottom lane...hmmm, saying that out loud reminds me that I really wanted to try that... I wonder what sort of thematic archetype would fit the role of AP auto attacker. Ideas?

Not much to do with lore/theme or anything, but here's a base idea for some skills...

Passive: Building more AP grants more ASPD (incentive to build AP)

Q: Empowers next auto attack to deal x(+x AP) amount magic damage. If target is below 40% hp, they are slowed

W: Passive: Causes autoattacks to deal % of AP as magic damage, scaling with rank in skill. Active: Skillshot that deals x(+AP) magic damage, applies on-hit effects.

E: Short range blink (same range possibly smaller than Ezreal's), deals small AoE magic damage (+AP) around either the starting or ending area of the blink (starting would be interesting especially with assassins being big in the game now. ending would be effective if you are in dueling situation or something, making you use it offensively for damage would be risk-reward scenario)

R: Deals x+(AP) amount magic damage in aoe (I'm thinking cone shaped, smaller than MF's ult, possibly size of Annie's Incinerate, or slightly larger), applies a debuff that causes them to be CCed (stunned, slowed, silenced, rooted... whatever wouldn't be too game breaking) if they recieve magic damage from you within the next x amount of seconds (probably 5-8 or so).

As to do with lore/theme... hmm... possibly someone that shoots lightning out of their fingers or something? I know Xerath kinda does that already, but I'm thinking like.. the Emperor from Star Wars sort of stuff.

ChesswarF

01-27-2013

Quote:
Ezreal:
Replies to pages 631-640.

As always feel free to check out my @RiotEzreal Twitter, as I'll always post in it whenever I post in this thread (just makes it easier to track).

1) Well, I wanted a 'fake brush' sort of gameplay. Something that would feel similar to the 'fake treasure cubes' from mario cart. Where players see it and feel that something is out of place. I also wanted her to have a way to trigger her passive (don't forget that Caitlyn was made back when AD carries were mid lane, so she didn't have a lot of access to brush).

2) I'll talk about him more later, but the elemental hydra was a short lived idea that was ultimately passed on.

3) Most of the old school champion designers are helping out all across the company. For example, Geeves now leads the Live team!

4) Agreed, I would love to see more champion VO (voice over) interaction.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about this topic. But if there is a large playerbase there then I am sure that we will try to help out the players as soon as possible.

It turns out there aren't really any true junglers. Most of the traits players need to jungle are very applicable to the top lane. For example, I play Nocturne as purely a top lane champion!

We want to explore the melee dps class more. But to be honest, it is pretty dang hard. High dps classes are generally glass cannons, champions who are capable of dealing high amounts of dps while also not able to take high amounts of damage. The best way of dealing with this is range. Thus, melee range champions fail on this aspect almost instantly. So we end up having to create short scenarios where they can output their dps (Master Yi's Highlander, Fiora's Bladewaltz). That being said, we are looking at making a new melee dps. But it will take time as it is a very difficult class to figure out.

Interesting, we were just discussing this in the office recently. We discussed how the 'main character' of many fantasy series is the classic mage knight (the hero who can both wield a sword and cast magic). We dig the idea, but can't find a way to differentiate it enough from Draven. Thoughts?

...wat?

I remember that one, his art work was pretty bomb. He had amazing details on that character.

1) The battlecast skin line is one of my favorites. It would be silly to not make more of them.

2) Ah, I didn't know that skin was a battlecast, I'll have to look into it.

3) Yea, void champions are pretty awesome. I don't think you'll find anyone who disagrees with you there.

What's wrong with it?

Well, we just got a new void creature in Kha'Zix, and he is pretty awesome. I can see making a new one over time. What class do you think it would be?

Well, chaos magic is indeed cool, but it has a fundamental flaw. Chaos magic is usually associated with 'randomness'. A champion who is based on randomness is flawed, as it is impossible to balance. Now you could make an argument for making the chaos mage a multi elemental mage who could cast a number of different spells. But that archetype is cleaner when associated with elementalists. So I do believe it would be cool, I just don't believe chaos magic is a good place to explore in LoL (well, other than maybe overwhelming amounts of evil magic).

The community ultimately raises when we need to change characters. Then it's up to someone on the team to come up with a good way to improve the champion. They then need to prove to the team that the character needs the changes in order to be better. Once those are in place we try to find time for them to enact the positive changes. So if the community thinks Darius is problematic then they should beseech a designer to take on the cause of updating him.

1) I'm not sure.
2) Hexmage was the codename for Viktor.
3) That was a mistake on our part. Though I'm not sure if it was that we had the wrong hand on the icon, or if we changed the hand in the particle.

I hope so, the hunt is on is one of the coolest easter eggs we have ever added to the game.

As for your health as a resource question, it is a valid option that we can use again in the future. We just try to spread them out as they are generally less restricted than mana gated champions, and thus more difficult to balance.

Awesome, I'll check him out.

I'll pass this on to Live.

Ultimately dwarves have too much overlap with Yordles to be their own race in LoL. That being said, I think we could take elements from dwarves and create a pretty awesome yordle that would take on these elements. After all, why be restricted to copying what has been done in the past when we can make a new unique version using our own world.

2013 is going to have a pretty good balance between the two, but will also have a fair number of humanoids, creatures, and yordles!

We ultimately decided to pass on this character early on. We simply couldn't find a good way of placing a personality on this champion. Take for example dragons and phoenixes. These are classically intelligent creatures who have both monstrous and human qualities. Hydras on the other hand have almost universally had just monstrous qualities (barring Tiamat, who is more of a 5 headed dragon than a hydra). This led us to believe that hydra's are more likely to be an epic boss creature than a LoL champion.

why not make void supporter,hex mage,burrow skill with champion and flame Archer?

Muranodo

Recruiter

01-27-2013

I had been looking forward to the potential release of the elemental hydra this year. I'm rather disappointed to hear it got another nail-in-the-coffin like Omen. =/

Beholders / Eye Tyrants and now Hydras both seemed like really diverse concepts to help shake things up. I'm a bit perplexed on why it's so complicated to place a personality on them. Thresh is a walking torturer that plays up a "monstrous" aspect in humanoid form while joking about himself being mad.

Vulking

01-27-2013

Hey @Ezreal, are you guys still considering making a third member of the Nasus/Renekton world? I think it would be an awesome candidate for a sand or sun mage.

Hige

01-27-2013

Uhm ezreal, from your answer where you talk about the drill yordle champion.. I felt like it'd be better if that yordle instead of riding a drill, just had a drill, you know? something big enough so he could ride but small enough he could wield! and it got me thinking... If you had the chance to re-do Corki, would you refrain from making him ride a copter? he's the only yordle we can't see full body, except for urf riding, which strikes me as what Corki should have really been, a mount-like champion... what are your thoughts on Corki?