Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SlumlordThanatos

01-27-2013

So, out of curiosity, is Syndra considered to be a gravity-based champion, or more of a darkness energy type caster? Nothing about her kit just screams "THIS CHAMPION MANIPULATES GRAVITY", if you ask me. Granted, she levitates her castle in her lore, and Viktor has his Gravity Field, but I don't feel like there is a champion where manipulating gravity is what their kit revolves around. I mean, using biotics from Mass Effect as an example, we don't have a champion that works to that degree, and I think it's something LoL is lacking.

Garlyle Wilds

01-27-2013

Quote:
Well, chaos magic is indeed cool, but it has a fundamental flaw. Chaos magic is usually associated with 'randomness'. A champion who is based on randomness is flawed, as it is impossible to balance. Now you could make an argument for making the chaos mage a multi elemental mage who could cast a number of different spells. But that archetype is cleaner when associated with elementalists. So I do believe it would be cool, I just don't believe chaos magic is a good place to explore in LoL (well, other than maybe overwhelming amounts of evil magic).

I guess this is up to your interpretation of "chaos" then.

The Secret World did a fantastic thing by having an entire faction devoted to 'chaos'. They're in no way randomized, however - they've worked cause-and-effect down to a science. "A butterfly that flaps its wings in the west causes a storm in the east" and so forth. If you take chaos magic as the manipulation of cause-and-effect, you could do a lot of neat things.
For instance, a focus on cast-now-complete-later (like we have in Janna's tornado / Lux's light zone) or cycling-through-effect mechanics like TF's pick a card, etc.
Or to use a different style, an interaction like how Brand's spells sort of influence one another.

Afterall, if a chaos mage was just someone who lets chaos run rampant, it'd probably just destroy them. Someone who really mastered it would be able to control the things that seemingly are random.

Garlyle Wilds

01-27-2013

Quote:
3. Regarding LeBlanc's passive, her clone should automatically move (in a random direction) the moment the real one moves.
Why? It's too easy to tell them apart when one runs away and the other stands still or makes minimal movement. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Usage of the clone is what separates great Leblancs from good Leblancs, honestly - a good Leblanc will actually completely trick you into thinking the clone is her and make an escape... or just unfocus your attention for the couple seconds needed to get her cooldowns. It's the same with Wukong's decoy - once you've encountered it a couple times you know what you have to do to deal with it, except a smart use of the ability will use your expectations and knowledge against you to play mindgames.

Tosado

Recruiter

01-27-2013

1) Ezreal, was the "Koi Nami" skin a play on words of Konami? I have always thought it was.

2) I find that with the lack of Force of Nature, it's become very hard to build good MR without wasting too many spaces.

3) Boomerang based champion?

4) Fruit as a weapon?

5) Also, what is up with that bug where certain abilities in certain circumstance (I'm not sure exactly what) leave a glowing orb that doesn't disappear through the entire match?

EffingDingus

01-27-2013

Is there any chance that Ezreal is going to have his art updated, or atleast reverted back to the original american versions?
The current ones aside from pulsefire really, really suck.
I mean for god sakes, Frosted Ezreal looks like someone from twilight, and he is holding ARROWS. Ezreal doesn't fire arrows.
Aside from Striker Ezreal, all of the originals look much better than the current chinese versions.

Rivini

01-27-2013

Quote:
Garlyle Wilds:
Usage of the clone is what separates great Leblancs from good Leblancs, honestly - a good Leblanc will actually completely trick you into thinking the clone is her and make an escape... or just unfocus your attention for the couple seconds needed to get her cooldowns. It's the same with Wukong's decoy - once you've encountered it a couple times you know what you have to do to deal with it, except a smart use of the ability will use your expectations and knowledge against you to play mindgames.

Oh I know it can be used creatively, but those opportunities are pretty rare in most scenarios.

Rivini

01-27-2013

Quote:
Tosado:
3) Boomerang based champion?

4) Fruit as a weapon?

Sivir is pretty close to being boomerang based, unless you mean someone who does a lot more than Sivir does with her Q.

Soraka throws bananas.

Aesop

01-27-2013

You have not really touched insanity as a basis for a character and I think it could work pretty well. Perhaps some sort of Eldritch Abomination that debuffs characters with most of his abilities and if they reach a certain amount of stacks on the debuff they go "Insane" and get feared lose control of their character in some way. I feel this could create a lot of interesting gameplay when the opposing players need to disengage before the stacks reach critical mass and the insanity champ is trying his best to keep the fight going long enough to get the CC. This would probably work best for an AP mid or maybe a support.

Dreampod

01-27-2013

Ashe's passive feels terrible, the only time you notice it is that you get a free crit when you come back to lane. It really needs a significantly noticeable particle and sound effect when it hits and crits when her base crit would not have been sufficient. Additionally, would it be overpowering for her to retain any increased crit she gains until she gets a critical strike? It seems like it would play into her core playstyle of kiting and help her lose less damage by doing so than other champions do which helps firm up that role.

Unrelatedly, have you guys ever considered (and/or have the technology to do so) having an ability with variable cooldowns? The couple versions I've considered were a toggle that rather than having increasing mana costs as an incentive to turn it off would have a cooldown 3-4 times the length it was running (with a hard duration cap) allowing players to turn it on for a quick burst or empowered for a bigger fight. The second version I thought of I call Lightning Cascade which would be a very low cooldown ability that did a small amount of damage and debuff on a target and when this is cast on a target that already has a buff again it would do damage to them and then to any other debuffed target within a certain range (and then to any debuffed target in range of THAT target) before getting a significant cooldown period.

Do you feel that those are those ability frameworks that can work within the League gameplay?

MagikShot

01-27-2013

Quote:
Ezreal:
Haha, we have toyed with the idea of having Ezreal's glove come from a set, and passing on one or more of it to future champions. Again, very cool, but we don't want to overplay the 'powerful artifact' too many times. Each time we do it we risk diminishing the cool factor of older champions with the trope such as Ezreal.

Yes, you would risk diminishing the cool factor. But you are f*cking Ezreal! I'm sure you would be able to handle it if you dont overuse.
Btw Ezreal has the most genial design, from lore to gameplay, hence I'd love to see what different things other champions would be able to do with a piece of the set.

ps.: CaitlynxEzreal >>>>>>>>>>> EzrealxLux