Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

General Stinky

01-27-2013

what is the next champion going to be? i hope another ad carry

Aeaeros

01-27-2013

@Ezreal Archetypes

I was thinking about this recently, I think I was really surprised to not see a "lightning" based caster. You know in those RPG games where you see traditional mages or elementalists and there's 3 damage types or so, you end up with (usually): fire, cold/water and lightning!

Now let me explain, yeah there's Kenen, but he's a ninja and no matter how many lightning abilities he has, in my mind he doesn't scream "caster/mage" even if his mechanics or whatever might seem otherwise (again, he's a flippin ninja!)

There's Volibear who is the thunder's roar. I think we can all agree he's not a lightning mage. He's a big bear and melee (also, a sound mage, but that's another concept! -- though for the record thunder =/= lightning, even though they're associated).

There's also Ryze who has a lot of lightning-esque animations, but he's clearly an arcane mage and doesn't really have a lightning feel.

I haven't personally fleshed anything out, but some ideas:
Shock Nova's - standard pbaoe, could be used as a stun or a slow
Chain Lightning - (glad to see Nami has tidal heal, I've felt a long time chain attacks were the one thing really missing from League), with this concept what I think would be cool is a chain lightning that increases in damage the more targets it hit; however with a few limitation. The damage increase obviously needs to be capped, either on the %modifier or the number of targets. Second, might need to prioritize champions so minion waves aren't anti-fun for the other guy (on the other hand! this could be used as a mechanic, similar to MF's double-up interaction... it really all depends on the tuning here).
Blink / Sonic Boom - Lightning is obviously involved with moving faster, concept here is a short range blink that creates a "sonic boom" explosion effect perhaps (think of like LeBlanc's W, but frontal cone damage or something after landing your blink).
Lightning Armor - I see this working in a few ways, either as an active or a passive with an active. Components to it would include an MS steroid, AS steroid (because it's so damn logical) and perhaps a minor damage reflect (all melee attackers take X magic damage).

On that note, you also asked about an AP autoattacker. And I think everyone knows the biggest drawback to AP autoattackers is they don't have scaling from crit so they're forced to only use AS (and penetration) as their only multiplicative stat. However, it's clear some abilities can crit (Statikk Shiv and Garen, for example). I personally think an AP auto-attacker's archetype would be something of an "enhancement" or maybe "technologist" approach -- That is, someone who can either magically or technologically enhance their own autoattacks to do a large part of that as magic -- man conceptually Jayce seems like he could've been brilliant here. Imagine if in his melee form he used AD but once he used his hammergun he started using AP, throw in some sort of passive (or skill-based passive) to allow his damage or some of his damage to crit.

Cough, on that note, we still don't have an iconic Gunblade champion. Orr, Electrified Whips - an active ability/toggle/passive (when trained) that allows auto attacks to do extra lightning damage, can crit. Has 1:1 AP scaling.

Lightning does whip around!

M Bìson

01-27-2013

You should create a champion wielding 2 handguns.

Fox P McCloud

01-27-2013

Quote:
Ezreal:
We want to explore the melee dps class more. But to be honest, it is pretty dang hard. High dps classes are generally glass cannons, champions who are capable of dealing high amounts of dps while also not able to take high amounts of damage. The best way of dealing with this is range. Thus, melee range champions fail on this aspect almost instantly. So we end up having to create short scenarios where they can output their dps (Master Yi's Highlander, Fiora's Bladewaltz). That being said, we are looking at making a new melee dps. But it will take time as it is a very difficult class to figure out.

Can we expect this champion within this year, or is it purely a "we want to, but who knows when"?

Also, are we ever going to see a fox champion? I'm sorry, I know you like Ahri a lot, but she doesn't fulfill this at all; her ears and tail are largely superficial (and appeal more to Neko and anime crows); she's not animalistic like Rengar, Nasus, Renekton, etc are---any chances of this happening?

Whisperx5

01-27-2013

Hi Ezreal first of all I like your work as a not generic designer. People asked for a boxed champion and you created Vi. Ppl asked for a Chain/whip champions and you created Thresh. Your anti-generic work is amazing.

1- Do you agree that Diana skin has a very similar splash art as Syndra classic splash?
2- Do you think you can create another class of champions? We have bruisers,assassins, supports, carries and tanks.
3- We had Pulsefire Ezreal. Are another themes coming up?
4- How many people work for Riot?

Lykurgus

Recruiter

01-27-2013

@Ezreal, about Magic Knights, reading what you said kind of got me thinking of a Manwha called Yureka, haven't picked it up in awhile, but essentially, the main character is a Spellsword who has a blade that can be charged with his own spells, so feeding his sword a fireball 3-4 times in order to give him an intense Fire slash attack and so on.

To explain above, you could either cast a standard fireball nuke towards your enemy, or select it on yourself, granting yourself a 'fire charge' stacking up to x amount of times, granting your next AA a significant boost.

Is there anyway that this idea can be worked into a kit?

Edit: Alternatively, the skills can be held and charged much like Vi's Q, but instead of growing in power/distance, at the end of the charge timer, it is because an AA passive charge like described above. This could allow for each skill to have a powerful AA buff, as well as being able to bait someone into a fireball into the face because the can see you charging your skill.

Alternatively, this is an idea i've had with a pet based ADC, where each skill would give the pet buff/steroid or a skill of it's own (AI is finicky I know), but a similar idea could be used for a Magic Knight class, where spells grant a short Buff or Steroid.

Food for thought

Aeaeros

01-27-2013

Oh my god! Final Fantasy 3 (6) is my all time favorite game! I have a few thoughts to share on Mage Knight (based on one of your comments). This could hypothetically be a golden opportunity for an AP autoattacker. A school of magic after all can be enhancements or enchantments.

Imagine conceptually a heavy tank sort of fighter (yeah, I am thinking MagikTek here), but with magic enhancements or magic poke abilities. The armor/knight part is more for the protection (at least aesthetically). In my mind, I don't think Draven is the champion to worry about similarities, but rather maybe Diana or Gragas (who I imagine was originally designed as a tank).

So it'd be someone meant to melee, but has a short-ish range magical wave clear ability. And some sort of enhancement to allow his melee attacks to do magic damage (think of like Kayle's E, but without the range increase, or think of traditional spells like "fire blade", or *cough* "lightning blade&quot. Or perhaps a sword-sweep as a melee aoe ability and using a magic spell as a poke. A magical enhancement can be defensive variety (spell shield, absorb shield, reflect shield -- there's very few reflect shields in this game, I think Annie has the only one?).

Also, don't forget, Gandalf has a sword.

One more thing, any thoughts on giving champions more support-type ultimates? By which I mean something more like Ashe, who is clearly an AD carry but she's often picked because her ultimate can be used as an initiation. I mean lately, there's been comments of "R to win" and I think a big part of this is how so much damage is associated with R, but giving a carry or a tank a support ability could be really neat. (Only other champion I can think of like this is Kayle, I mean yeah Maokai has a strong support ultimate too but him and others like him are never really either AP carries or AD carries, they're supports themselves).

IS14696195e1336cdef530a

01-27-2013

So i remember back in the day's when jarvan's W was supposed tricked itself, why did this got "removed" instead of fixed :/ ?

Also i feel cait is kind of missplaced because She's a sniper and when you use her ult you get that feeling
But a sniper is supposed to attack slowly and then deal huge damage, where caits passive almost encourages her to get attackspeed. And what sniper attacks 5 times every 2 seconds ? :P

Whole her hit is sort of build up about sniping if they hit a trap you snipe them etc
Her passive actually also (atleast i think) is ment as a sniper tool where the headshot would deal tons of damage but instead it turned out to be more AS focused than AD :/

If she ever got a remake, not that she needs one because she works fine just doesn't really feel like a sniper, but to make her more sniper style what would you do ?

Zertryx

01-27-2013

@Ezreal

- What is your opinion on the current state of Ashe? She is my favorite champion in the game i really love her kit, though i sometimes feel its hard to compete with the more popular / mobile ADC's.

- I think a void support creature should be made (thresh is not a void creature and is from the shadow isle from what I understand?) I remember reading that one was thought of before but kinda got scrapped.

- who was your favorite champion that you have worked on? and why?

Rivini

01-27-2013

Ezreal, I have a few ideas I would like to throw your way to see what you think.

1. Since Lulu's W also inflicts a cosmetic 60 movement speed reduction, wouldn't it make sense to have whomever she ults have a cosmetic attack damage and/or defense buff? The simple logic behind it is anything that gets bigger naturally becomes stronger and more durable.
EDIT: I consider the HP it adds to be a heal more than added defense, due to the fact you keep the HP you gained from the ult if you weren't at full HP prior. If you're at 100HP when Lulu ults you and you gain 600HP, you keep that 600HP when it ends if you don't lose it from damage.

2. Trundle's W covers a giant area and yet it only affects himself. Seems strange, doesn't it? So, for a QoL buff, his W should provide a debuff for enemies who stand on it, but not something like an all-too-common slow since he already has a strong one on E. I've envisioned a debuff more unique and fitting for Trundle, and it's something currently not in LoL.
With this new version of his W, while enemies are standing on it, they have all forms of tenacity they currently have equipped completely voided.
Why add this? Without it, Trundle doesn't have a whole lot to contribute late-game, especially in team fights. He needs to get in melee range to decrease the ADC's AD by a whopping flat 20 and his ult is mostly only noticeable on tanks, whom are the ones that typically shouldn't be focused. After he casts those two abilities, he clubs the enemy for a few seconds before he inevitably gets blown up. So really, the best he can do is throw down his pillar and hope his team can make good use of it.

3. Regarding LeBlanc's passive, her clone should automatically move (in a random direction) the moment it spawns.
Why? It's too easy to tell them apart when one runs away and the other stands still or makes minimal movement. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtAbmHvJlHg&t=0m37s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtAbmHvJlHg&t=0m37s)