@Ezreal

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Onlyashadow

09-27-2010

Me again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezreal View Post
It's actually pretty different for each designer. Personally I like taking 20-30 minutes to write down random ideas associated with what the character looks like (so if it's a gravity champion, I just throw down anything that comes to mind). Then I go through other inspirational resources and add new ideas to the list. After that I go through the list and split it into possible kits. Then I bring my favorites to other designers, before finally going for approval. After that I would build the champion and playtest them (this also often leads to redesign).
This REALLY caught my interest, would it be possible to view the design notes for some of the characters you've come up with? Released or not makes not difference to me.

Thenadathor

Recruiter

09-27-2010

Without trying to start a flame war, do you think the art team has done a good job in terms of diversity of character design? If you want my two cents, it seems that for men/creatures, they have done great, but they could do better when it comes to women. For example there are 3 or 4 female champions who dont fit the archetype of all the other ones, while the males have a much less defined "typical" design.

Lightbringer6

09-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezreal View Post
It's pretty different on a day to day basis. Some days are riddled with meetings (what new champion concepts should we go with, what balance changes do we want to make, what new teemo skins are still available), while others I can concentrate on coding new champions and items. Though there are some daily staples like Riot's mandatory company playtest where everyone plays the game. Designers also do a second designer playtest on upcoming content to hopefully catch balance problems (sorry for Xin'Zhao, Test Realm was down).
wow i would so love a job where i could focus all day on my favorite video game. *sigh*

Intangible

09-27-2010

Awesome thread.

Blahgeeha

09-27-2010

You did Kassadin? You are officially my favorite Riot employee.

Punk ROC

09-27-2010

You made my Sona??? I LOVE YOU!!!

But back to serious business...

Do you believe Sona's Q needs a nerf? It does quite a bit of damage to squishy's early game, but dwindles down late game. Also, her passive? Really? I mean, I think that it is very good were it is at. Very balanced. The whole champions is.

Ezreal

Senior Recruiter

09-27-2010
19 of 320 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg1 View Post
Thanks for the reply! I'm leaning towards applying for an internship myself with Riot as a software developer (Comp Eng graduate). I'm curious now as to what you graduated from? Aside from working life @ riot, how would you rate your experience with them as an employer? Not in terms of payscale (we all know we want more :P) but in terms of overall attitude, and work environment.

Thanks so much!
I came from Pitzer college (of the Claremont Colleges), I double majored in Psychology and Organizational Economics. It's a pretty odd mix for a designer, but you'd be surprised by how many designers are Psych majors. Heh, working at Riot is a dream. I'm constantly surrounded by incredibly talented and intelligent individuals who push me to become better. That and we're in an incredibly open environment, which is fun as hell.

Anywho, good luck on the application!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozan View Post
What do you think of a champion with the ability to remove debuffs as a skill?

Also, what's your impressions of the current Blitzcrank. I feel like he has a very strong gimmick (Q->E), but after that he's just lackluster. He doesn't make a good tank (why focus him if you're already on him?) and he doesn't matter a very good burst past level 8. It's just hook and then nothing. W and E would make you think AD build would work, but he's so slow and has such poor numbers it's just not worth it.
We have considered this in the past, but ultimately it takes an amazing amount of work to go back through all of the abilities in our game and make sure they won't screw up upon adding that as a spell.

You have good points on Blitzcrank, he's apparently C tier and in need of some loving. I really want to give him a bit more utility while staying away from his already powerful combo. Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kixxie View Post
Have you guys ever thought about making some features chargable?

Like, Having to buy certain aspects of the game, other than skins likeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Signatures on forums, changing your profile pics, or buying different sounds for characters, or other things that don't bother the power of the game?

(You've mentioned before that you guys want to stay away from 'buying power')
I can't really speak too much towards this since I am on design and not marketing. Personally I don't think we will do it (though sounds for characters are often done for Legendary champions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyion View Post
Demacia?
DEMACIAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirebarrage View Post
Are there any changes going to be made to Kat with the new map coming out? As it stands, the number of targets changes as 1/2/3 per level, which makes her weak in team fights until lvl 11 and then 16. But with the new map coming out and having it be (maybe?) 6v6, it would do less damage since more targets.

Any plans to change manamune back to what it was?

Are we ever going to get a magic resist + life belt item?
I think we hit Manamune in too many ways, I'll have to look into it once I go back to work.

As for MR / HP, it's pretty tricky as both are incredibly good vs casters, especially since they are particularly weak in the current meta. I would personally rather see an AD / MR item which may or may not be coming out in the near future.

Polaritie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-27-2010

Your opinion on this?

voorn

09-27-2010

This thread has the most new information about LoL in a while, thanks.

Grafx

09-27-2010

Rammus, Alistar and Nunu .. more so rammus and alistar both can not compete with the other tanks in terms of tank utility. Shen, Amumu, Malphite etc all bring more to the table.

What can we expect for Rammus and Alistar in terms of being viable.