What would you do in this situation?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SouthernIrishND

10-10-2012

Hello,

I just started playing ranked and am slowly going up in ELO. In my last game, our "captain" was a guy who didn't say one word from the banning phase. He ignored whatever we said and banned whomever he wanted (although this was not a big deal).

When the game started, he went 0/3 up top as Mundo (eventually 3/15/12). Our mid went top to gank and pinged one of the enemies, but Mundo decided to head back to base at 3/4 health with his ultimate on standby. We told him to stay, but he didn't say one word.

When we were grouping up for team fights, he went back to base to wait for gold to buy items. On the other hand, when most of us were at base, he charged straight down mid to 1v5 the enemy team. When alive, he repeated the process. Forcing team fights and feeding made it extremely difficult for us to come out with a win.

He wasn't the greatest player that I've played with. It appeared as though he had no concept of how the game was played (or he was a troll). I considered reporting him for being an "unskilled player" or "intentionally feeding." He also refused to communicate with the team, so I also considered reporting him for that instead. I checked his stats online, and it turns out that he's most likely a below average player (around 15 deaths per game) who is somehow getting carried to gold with 0 losses, so I went with "unskilled player."

Anyways, what do you do when your teammate feeds and refuses to communicate/work with the team? How often do you see players who don't seem to belong at a certain ELO? I'm not sure if seeing this is normal in ranked, but I just didn't expect it. Perhaps someone here could shed some light on it.

Thanks.

DragoonRampage

10-10-2012

It is actually more common then you would think. Since you are new into ranked you might not have the highest elo yet or low for whatever case. That person could be in the same boat as you or got lucky and got carried pretty hard their first 25 games. The first 25 games really determines where your starting elo is. So they ended up being the "captain."

However, this stuff happens constantly and is really annoying. It is the reasoning for the term "ELO Hell" be coined. You will run into this constantly no matter what.

SouthernIrishND

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonRampage View Post
It is actually more common then you would think. Since you are new into ranked you might not have the highest elo yet or low for whatever case. That person could be in the same boat as you or got lucky and got carried pretty hard their first 25 games. The first 25 games really determines where your starting elo is. So they ended up being the "captain."

However, this stuff happens constantly and is really annoying. It is the reasoning for the term "ELO Hell" be coined. You will run into this constantly no matter what.
I'm currently 6W 2L (very new to ranked) and at 1347 ELO. The teammate that I am talking about has 4W 0L and 1404 ELO. It's a little disappointing to hear that this is a common occurrence in ranked. My cs still needs a lot of work, but I think that I've been playing at a higher level than my current rating with regards to team fights/harass/securing kills/ kiting/positioning/map awareness/etc.

To counteract situations such as the teammate that I mentioned, is there a good way to tell your teammates how to pick champions or play the game without sounding like a pompous know-it-all or starting a flame war? In one game, I told my teammate that he shouldn't have picked Graves last to go top against Malphite since I was already an AD carry as Corki and since Malphite is a counter to Graves. My teammate laughed it off and told me not to worry. Needless to say, he got destroyed and started blaming the entire team for being noobs within 10 minutes. Moreover, after losing the tower, he went back up top and pushed to the enemy tower with no vision of the enemy team. I told him to back out, but he ignored the pings and died. Eventually, Malphite got fed and started ganking and counter jungling, which led to our loss.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

You're still both incredibly new to ranked - trust me, he will drop. I got carried up to 1400 or so when I started, and now I'm 750. It'll sort itself.