E-Sports/Competitive Scene: How Do?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ibuki Suika

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acetaminophen View Post
When planning for any career, you have to lay out your plan. You said you have aspirations, but can you clearly define it for yourself? What areas can you immediately bring value to? What areas do you want to develop in order to be a contributor.

To be in eSports, you do not need to be very high Elo, or just have high Elo friends. The number of professional players is only a fraction of all the parties involved. Most people involved work on the logistics and operations that keeps the wheels turning. There are also so many hardworking people in the community working on content creation as well.

If you truly want to shape your career, then you need to really devote some time and really think it through.
omg ace i thought you were gone! <3 good to see you are still around!

Rafael Elendil

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by VileBlade View Post
Many thanks Ace!

Yeah, I have a LOT of mapping to do in the next couple days.

The one thing that's keeping me from looking to go competitive in play is the pay-scale, if any at all. It's what I would love most, but let's be honest, the cash-flow really isn't there unless you're one of the very, very tippity-top tier teams. Being 24 years old, as much as I hate to say it, they pay WILL matter. I have a wife (who supports me 100%), so it's not just my lively-hood I need to consider, but hers as well.

With that being said, I have a very strong personality for casting, which is what I'm looking into currently.

Again, I GREATLY appreciate all the help and wisdom from my fellow Summoners. You don't understand how much this insight means to me right now.
Change your mindset!

I'm 31, almost 32, and just left one job to finish my college to try to chase some dreams.

Like said by the Red, you need a plan. This is just the start. If you have a job, dont leave it blindly thinking you will get involved with a pro team tomorrow. You need to think about what your contribution will be, at least, what you want it to be. (Critic, caster, pro player, manager, etc)

Then learn about it. What do those people do? How they do that? Can i do at least that well? How much time will i need to invest? How much money?

Dont think about it as a secure job, it isnt, think about it as opening a shop, requires huge investment and will only payback over the time, and have the chance of not working at all.

Before i could leave my job, i gathered money for almost 7 years, waited for the economy of my country do be good for my career, entered the college i wanted, and then left the job (wich for my country standards is a VERY GOOD job).

So you probably should start having a normal job and doing the gaming part as an extra until you find the oportunity to finally move to gaming full time.

One of my dreams(not the job i want, but a dream) is to become an athlete again(like i was 10 years ago), if a 31 yo fat guy can train hard, become fit, and be an athele, i am sure an 24yo married guy can slowly enter the game/e-sport industry.

Food4Thought

10-10-2012

Id suggest hardware installation, repair, and creation. as Riot needs it.

Tech Fro

10-10-2012

I know that as with just about any field, you have to get started and keep doing it. If you think you want to do shoutcasting, go watch people shoutcast and look at the feedback they get, then start doing it yourself.
People will insult you to no end, but as you get more comfortable with it and get better at it thanks to a few nibblets of constructive criticism, you'll find yourself with a following.

This goes for any path you pick. Perseverance and consistency!

VileBlade

10-10-2012

I should probably try and get a hold of some of the premier casters and vloggers, see if they have any advice they can give.

I have my stuff set up to stream on either Twitch or Own3d, but getting that viewer base is the toughie.

Honestly, it seems like I'm going to have to man-up and purchase some RP for give-aways on the stream. Dedication is scary in a field like this, though, when so much can be lost by a slight change in pace...

Mjd24

10-11-2012

Just look up Day9.
He is getting or has a degree in something like Multimedia Entertainment and built his empire from not much more than a successful SC:BW career.

His early videos are rough but he stuck with it and is probably the most popular caster in the world today. (I understand that Archons are people two)
If anyone can give you advice, even just through reading about him or watching his show(s) it would be him.

Tell ya what, watch "Day[9] Daily Episode 200: My life of Starcraft", and then come back and tell us how you are feeling.
Trust me on this. It could change your life.

killaz05

10-11-2012

I too would love to be able to get into the esports and make a name for myself. I put a lot of time into League for fun but it would be great to be able to go to tournaments and such. Maybe hosting a local tournament would be fun. If done well it could get bigger. I am always on after work if anyone was considering creating a professional team. One that works together.

TheBuhdazzla

10-11-2012

As someone that is working more on casting, there's a few tips I can offer:

-Just start doing it.

Casters need to have experience. How do you get experience? Just start doing it. Watch "Featured games" and start casting these so that when people do these lower-level tournaments, you can have a body of work to demonstrate. For me, for example, I cast my college's IvyLoL games as well as just random casting here or there whenever I can. Eventually, opportunity hits you. The caster network is VERY friendly/helpful for League and if that's something you are genuinely interested in I can help try to put you in contact with the right people.
-Take criticism and do not flinch
People are unforgiving with Casters. The reality is, especially solo casting, you're GOING to make mistakes. You're going to miss fights, you're going to say the wrong names, you're going to blank on an ability name or item name -- accept it, learn from it, and move forward, and know that people will say something horrible to you about it.
-Learn.
Casting isn't just about knowing the game, but eventually knowing the players in the game -- their trends, their preferred champs, preferred items, playstyles, their personalities -- a big part of being a good caster is knowing how to fill in "farm time" effectively and that's probably the hardest thing to do. Casting is so much more than the burden of knowledge of the entire game: it is more so the burden of knowledge of the entire community as well.
-Have a personality
Much like the successful youtubers out there (Hi Dunkey!) It's important to have a personality when you are Casting or Streaming anything. Be entertaining! Have little signature quips in there (Boom goes the dynamite! or Tons of damage!) You want people to recognize you. Why do people want YOU as a Caster over anyone else?
-Self marketing.
Early on, you are going to have to work for free and you are going to have to take any and all work you can. The sooner you don't fight that, the better. Embrace the opportunity to improve your skills and gain recognition and approach it with all the same professionalism you would if Riot was having you cast for the World Championship. This also means you need to invest in making a Twitter, Facebook, and maybe even a Tumblr and YouTube channel. Embrace social media to spread your excellence.

Pizza on a Bun

10-11-2012

Tons of Damage

Mjd24

10-12-2012

So, what did you think of Episode 200?