Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Let's Talk League Art

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Guttler

10-09-2012

One of my complaints about league art is that it seems many champions are artistically 'twisted' so that they don't conform to general fantasy archetypes.

Let me use Hecarim as an example. I think Centaurs are cool, but I don't like Hecarim. That is because Centaurs are normally though of as being guardians of nature. to use an MTG reference, they are green creatures. However, Hecarim doesn't have that traditional centaur theme. It seems like you were making him and said "This is too close to what centaurs normally are in fantasy games" better make him a vengeful ghost. In essence you went from a green creature to a black one. Now, I'm not opposed to vengeful ghosts. They can be cool, but why does it have to be a centuar? Can't we keep the centaurs green and the ghosts black?

Oberic

Recruiter

10-09-2012

Quote:
RiotNarya:
Hello all!
Much of what we do for the game is inspired by the feedback that we get from you guys. Whether you’re curious about champions, maps, splash art, visual effects, UI or anything else…ask away! Also feel free to provide good constructive feedback. I’d love to hear from you!

Hello!

Maps. Twisted Treeline. Give me anything and everything you know about any possible changes that may or may not come up for TT.
I don't mind being let down if a change I like doesn't happen. I want to know anyway.

If it must be done, you can tell me directly through the client and swear me to secrecy. I just really want to now, because I used to love that map.
(Got sick of it not having draft mode normals.. On top of its other issues.)

darkmoon hunter

10-09-2012

Quote:
RiotNarya:
He needs it right? You will not be let down. I will say more globally that League, as you guys know, is an evolving game. There are many reworks in store and our good ole' Cho is among them.
not to mention anivia, yi, kennen etc

FreestyleKneepad

10-09-2012

Hey there!

I'm a college student studying for Graphic Design. Ideally I'd like to be the guy that makes those awesome movie posters and album covers, but as you may imagine, I wouldn't mind working for a game company either. I've seen some really awesome design in games (like the UI for Splinter Cell Conviction) and I'd definitely take a crack at it if given the opportunity.

My question is kind of a three-parter: what kind of things do Riot's graphic designers work on ingame and out? Also, what are your priorities when working on a design (information, stylization, etc)? Finally, what sort of collaboration goes down between the art departments when working on the client-side designs?

Thanks in advance for any response I might get. =]

JohnnyOmega

10-09-2012

☆☆☆ RIOT GAMES - Rumor Mill ☆☆☆
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2452561

☆ Art Director RiotNarya apparently won his much desired position through a competition among the staff for making the best plans for team coordination. RiotNarya rose to the top of the pack with his proposal that all disputes among the Art team be settled by hot oil wrestling. Subsequently many nubile interns from a local modeling agency were introduced as assistants in the Art Department, handpicked by RiotNarya in the annual Riot Games Wet T-Shirt Festival.

EDIT: Apparently RiotNarya is a dude. Feminine pronouns are now masculine.

Quote:
RiotNarya:
You will not be let down.

KevinDelMarr

10-09-2012

Quote:
RiotNarya:
Well, I'm personally connected to this one. I helped make that call. If there was any chance that one skin was going to look like another or that the in-game model could be confused with another champ, we wanted to lean on the side of differentiation and make them as unique as possible. Gameplay is really critical to us and we felt this decision helped make the overall experience better. It was hotly debated...)

So u decided that only Syndra is deserving of head gear?

Morphine

10-09-2012

Dunno if this is the right place to put this, but a lot of the new particle effects look crazy good.

Also, is the art department familiar with eschergirls? I feel like the quality of splash art has increased substantially but some of our girls have developed some hardcore scoliosis. I can appreciate beauty, but I think a lot of the female poses go a little far to shove in as much T&A as possible. It would be cool if splash art gave some indication of personality, and I think Lux's new art (spine aside) does that nicely - you get the cheerful, energetic vibe from the art that's also readily apparent in her character. Could we get more of that?

(Also I'd like to plug the idea of new Tango Eve art. The skin is fun, it would be rad if there was great art to accompany it.)

Jynetik

10-09-2012

Hey there Narya and other members of the art team I am a bit of an aspiring artist and I have a few questions about how you guys decide who gets to draw what in terms of champion portraits, skins and so on. For example my favorite champion is Shyvana, her default art seems to be a bit more stylistic with less detail and a more atmospheric focus than either of her release skin portraits. I assume that different artists did the default portrait and the secondary skin portraits? Who gets to do what and how is that decided? Are there concerns about the art style changing too much from one portrait to another due to different artist's styles and interpretations of the character?

Also great job on the darkflame shyvana art whoever did that really made my day when it was released, love it.

Salamander Joe

10-09-2012

Quote:
RiotNarya:
Well, I'm personally connected to this one. I helped make that call. If there was any chance that one skin was going to look like another or that the in-game model could be confused with another champ, we wanted to lean on the side of differentiation and make them as unique as possible. Gameplay is really critical to us and we felt this decision helped make the overall experience better. It was hotly debated...)

It makes sense because the old model of DVD kinda looked liked syndra...alot.

Food4Thought

10-09-2012

Quote:
RiotNarya:
Hello all!

It’s been a few months since I joined the Riot art team as Art Director and I thought it was high time I said hello on the forums! The art team has been busy lately. We’ve been growing, strategizing, and doing everything we can to make awesome art.

Much of what we do for the game is inspired by the feedback that we get from you guys. Whether you’re curious about champions, maps, splash art, visual effects, UI or anything else…ask away! Also feel free to provide good constructive feedback. I’d love to hear from you!

I’ll look at this thread from time to time and answer as many questions as I can! Things are fast paced here so please be patient. Members of the art team close to particular topics may also chime in from time to time and we can break really awesome threads into their own topic.

Rock on,

Adam Murguia
Twitter: @RiotNarya (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/redirect.php?do=verify&redirect_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FRiotNarya)
Summoner Name: RiotNarya

Vampire hunter Jayce. (think of the movie Vanhelsing.
Hammer = Cross
cannon = that awesome shooter weapon

http://thefilmstage.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/van_helsing_2004_1920x1280_805530.jpg