Let's Talk League Art

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DivineRaiu

10-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollinarius View Post
While I have no complaints about the thread you're linking and agree with most of the arguments made by the OP, I really take issue with your complaints about the Lux art. She is supposed to be a little manic and crazy. That is Lux's thing. She is actually one of the few differentiated female characters because she isn't "generic conventionally attractive female who is strong willed and determined but shows these qualities by posing like a lingerie model #36". She has a personality. She is eccentric and a little crazy. Her pose is not one of a woman trying to look sexually attractive, but rather one of a woman being herself, whatever that is in Lux's case.

The "backbreaking" you complain about is an artifact of the action in her pose. She isn't standing still. She's in the middle of a turning motion, and you'd be surprised how much people bend when they aren't holding the position. And yes, she does have breasts. She probably went up a cup size in the new art compared to the old. On the other hand, there is nothing sexual about her outfit. She's wearing a breastplate that has breast shapes in it. Her outfit stops just below her collarbone.

If you complained about the new Morgana or MF art, I'd agree with you. But the new Lux art is an example of how a female champion can be portrayed in a positive way. It is the opposite of the point you're trying to make.
Exactly, these people that are saying this are people that have the mindset of any girl with boobs means they are too sexual, which it doesn't.

chzyken

10-14-2012

Please replace the Taric splash art with the one from the Chinese version. Just make the face / hair a little less animeish if its necessary.

http://img1.leaguecraft.com/wallpape..._760px_485.jpg
or
http://static.zerochan.net/Taric.full.1217771.jpg
or
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...OnQXJepTynSokA

is better than

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...iginalSkin.jpg

Thepopninja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-14-2012

Hey Nayra!
It's great to have Rioters interact with their community members.
I'd just like to ask, will there ever be a Gallery for Skin concepts?
If there was one, Gerenal Discussion wouldn't have them and it'd be much easier to access them

Apollo Prime

10-14-2012

@Nayra

About time Leblanc got a skin methinks..

RiotNarsil

Art Director

10-14-2012
33 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaddar View Post
I don't know if this is the right tread to ask this - even tho is somewhat art-related- , but I still haven't found a thread where I could get a response.

.. what's up with the increased model size in the latest champions? there are just HUGE nowadays.. take Zyra and Soraka as example.. they are taller than champions who are supposed to be huge (Maokai, Nunu, Morde, etc).. and very out of proportion alongside champions like Leblanc, or Pentakil Sona (who since release still appears to be smaller than regular Sona)

are you guys aware of this? is this intentional? do you have plan to properly scale all the champions to th newer standard? (Maokai and Zyra is the example that keeps showing on my head. a friend plays Zyra and I no longer feel like a badass tree when I'm standing next to her as Maokai.... but there are plenty of examples that could be made. --New Soraka being taller than every ranged carry she is paired with--)
Yup, we are aware and are planning to equalize the champs so the lineup makes sense from a scale perspective. Many of the champs are, in fact, off scale. Compare MF to some of the Sona models for example. Those are both female champs of approximately the same height, etc. and they are very different. Don't have an exact timeline but it's on the radar!

Ahri Main

10-14-2012

I Have a Question, i have wondered for the longest time why you switched the Blood Moon Akali splash art? i think the original was amazing and fit the character much more. can you provide some insight to why it was changed? it doesn't even match shen's anymore..

Omegafilter

10-14-2012

This isn't about art but just wanted to say mad respect to Narya saw him give away his ticket he bought to someone at the venue yesterday was pretty legit. Hats off to you sir.

OH NO ITS LU BU

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-14-2012

Is there any chance of you guys releasing more concept art for the champions that have come out so we can see that aspect of the design process and how the champions evolved?

RiotNarsil

Art Director

10-14-2012
34 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius Altra View Post
@RiotNarya as a aspiring 3D artist who hopes to one day work with you i was wondering how exactly do all the different artists work together? Do the concept artists send it to the 3D people then from there to splash team? Or do they all work in together at once? Once thing ive noticed is somethings easy for one side will be extremely difficult for another department such as making someone with a different sized legs or a lopsided walk is easy to draw but hell to animate. Do you all take each others jobs into account? The more insight the better. ty for your time
The short answer is that each type of artist works with every other type. It's hugely collaborative. And all artists, including tech art and animation, weigh in on champs before they are green lit for production.

Champion ideas come from anywhere. From lore, from art, from design...anywhere. Once concept art is made, it is iterated many times. We do this thing called the triangle where art (visuals), theme (lore) and design (gameplay) pass a champion back and forth to make it awesome.

A champion bakes or hardens as it gets closer to shipping. The farther along, the more difficult fundamental changes become. But we never hesitate halting a champ if it just doesn't feel right. That's why it's important to have many in the queue.

So modeling will get a concept and start building. But concept doesn't go away. They are there to help define and refine further if need be. Sometimes iteration is slow, but this isn't about time, it's about making great champions!

Rushinq

10-14-2012

more boobs pls