Let's Talk League Art

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Soft Aunt Hugs

10-11-2012

Hello RiotNarya,

I just wanted to bring up this thread and make sure that you've read it because it describes my feelings about Riot's art direction perfectly:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2646142

I know IronStylus addressed a lot of points in the thread already, but I was wondering what your thoughts on it where and how you're going to address the issue?

P.S. I also greatly dislike Lux's new splash art. Here's to hoping they will change it, or at least make her look normal/less manic/less crazy/less backbreaking/less boobshot.

killaz05

10-11-2012

Please do something with Shaco, he looks so blocky and his moves weird like an old game character. No where near as fluid as someone even as old as vayne. When he shivs, he doesn't do anything but a shiv sound and a shiv appears out of no where. I would love at least a new awesome looking splash art for my favorite clown.

Shirigu

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxinia View Post
Can you give some random tips to a novice draw-er?
Practice, Practice, Practice. Draw anything and everything. Sit in a coffee shop and draw everything you see. Sit in a park on a bench and draw everything you see. Drawing from real life is the best practice you can get! Go to www.posemaniacs.com set it up for 30 second drawings and try to draw the general outline of the human figure in 30 seconds.

Praetor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-11-2012

What about more horror-themed monster champions? I don't mean gory, but you know, classical monstrous look perhaps from the old Universal movies of yesteryear. Perhaps more things themed around 19th century horror themes. I do like the diversity you guys have recently as far as champion types (thematically) I just think this is a niche missing.

xxacidusxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-11-2012

riotnarya, there is something that has really bugged me even though i don't particularly own this content however i feel was made for the worse in my opinion. its the freljord ashe art that was changed to the chinese version. the original looked way better and like the amumu artwork, it doesnt match the current high quality artworks you guys are putting out such as diana's and syndra's artworks. i remember when the new artworks came out for ashe with the ashe model update, the freljord artwork was so nice my friends actually ended up buying that skin even though before the change they couldn't have cared less. and when i saw on surrenderat20 that you guys were changing it to the chinese artwork i was really confused given that you guys probably took soooooo much time redesigning ashe's model and the artworks and given how nice they looked, it was sad to see the freljord ashe artwork go in exchange for an artwork that looks like it was made in 2004.

Dogtoy

10-11-2012

Love almost every one of the changes made thus far.

Except:
The old Morgana classic skin splash screen was stronger then the current IMO. I see the style unification your going for and realize my reaction is subjective but the old piece was of such high quality I'm sad to see it go.

The new lux is great though

SupaPlus

10-11-2012

There is nothing i would love more than a remodel for Renekton! He is one of my favorite heroes, but i feel that-because so few people play him-he is not very high on your list of priorities.

A lot of champions have been getting new splash arts recently, but it seems to me like Renekton's is one of the few that is ridiculously inconsistent with his in-game model. I really like the new art, but in-game he looks out dated. I've read through a bunch of threads and almost never see anyone say anything about Renny's model.

I know he's an intimidating guy, but he's only angry cause he don't get no love ;(

RiotNarsil

Art Director

10-11-2012
31 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phourc View Post
I actually saw Morello post musing that since splash art is supposed to be jaw dropping and awesome, yet ingame map icons are supposed to be simple and easily understood - wouldn't the logical solution be to make a separate image for each purpose?

So... my question is, have you heard this idea thrown around, and what's your take on it? Does it seem awesome, or like a heck of a lot of extra work for no gain?
Yes, talked about it this morning in fact. REALLY. It's a huge task as there are so many, but the solution is actually to have separate art.

RiotNarsil

Art Director

10-11-2012
32 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Aunt Hugs View Post
Hello RiotNarya,

I just wanted to bring up this thread and make sure that you've read it because it describes my feelings about Riot's art direction perfectly:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2646142

I know IronStylus addressed a lot of points in the thread already, but I was wondering what your thoughts on it where and how you're going to address the issue?

P.S. I also greatly dislike Lux's new splash art. Here's to hoping they will change it, or at least make her look normal/less manic/less crazy/less backbreaking/less boobshot.
Yup. This is a fantastic thread. IronStylus really is representing our thoughts well here.

CabecoteNA

10-11-2012

Hey RiotNarya, I've got a question about Kha'zix ingame map icon. Why is it from the champion sneek peek? It breaks the consistency of the others because they are all from the art splashes...I know it's a minor thing, but what where the decisions behind it? Kha'z's splash art is uber awesome btw