Let's Talk League Art

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Since the thread slowed down now, I guess I'll just ask this a final time.

Miss Fortune has ridiculously heavy eye-liners in all her models even though only two of the skins splash arts have eyeliners, Waterloo and Candy Cane. It's especially noticeable in her Cowgirl Skin for some reason, as though the artist laid it even thicker than it should be. It just doesn't fit well with her splash arts that her models all have such heavy eye-liners on.

Mecha Kha'zix has way too many explosions in his kit, as a result you can't even see his Passive. His Passive is an explosion, his Q is an explosion for some reason, and his W is also an explosion. If you proc his Passive with an auto-attack it looks a bit too much like his Q, and if you proc is with his W, you can't even tell the difference in a heated battle playing against him. .

I asked about being able to switch between NA and Chineses splash arts a few months ago. You guys said you'd ask the splash art team about it and get back when you have time. But it's been months and there's still not update. Any word from the splash team?

fafafafrani

Art Producer

10-10-2012
29 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glumduk View Post
You probably get this a lot, but I'd love to work for Riot.
Are you guys still hiring 2d artists (3d's a small part of my skill set - can't really claim it yet), or do you ever contract out?
We do actually! If you have a portfolio you'd like to submit, you can email it to art_recruiting@riotgames.com. We can't guarantee you'll get a report, since we have to look at a lot of links, but we do look at them all

dualtracker

10-10-2012

What is your position on Miss Fortune? I find her ever changing hair colour confusing and annoying I think what has become iconic about miss fortune is her bright red rich hair colour but her skins tend to shy away from that.

Also Little red riding annie. Tibbers in the art is white and in game hes regular brown >_> This bothers me greatly and you don't get the sense of what you are looking at is what you are paying for. (In this case paid for since its legacy now)

Skyhawke

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
Wow, I know, right? My role right now is fairly strategic and managerial. It has been for a while now. I really enjoy working with teams to make things better and its very rewarding to watch people learn and grow. And it's a two way street! I grow as well, working with such awesome people. I do quite a bit of work at home because I do still like to be hands on creative.

For the full résumé breakdown you could check out my linkedIn profile. You can see I've been around for just a bit...)
Sorry, didn't mean my post to sound accusatory or anything. Was just curious about how your position works Thanks for the reply!

Phourc

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
Yep, guys...we agree with you. We're looking at that now. The zoom thing is a great point. Need to back off of the image a bit.
I actually saw Morello post musing that since splash art is supposed to be jaw dropping and awesome, yet ingame map icons are supposed to be simple and easily understood - wouldn't the logical solution be to make a separate image for each purpose?

So... my question is, have you heard this idea thrown around, and what's your take on it? Does it seem awesome, or like a heck of a lot of extra work for no gain?

iEatCookiez

10-10-2012

Leona needs a new skin :<

huMUNDOus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
please do better anatomy
Every time I see Fiora's splash (where she's stabbing someone while twisting her hips around to show as much bootay as possible) I think of Rob Liefeld, master of bizarro anatomy.

example liefeld cover

Phourc

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by huMUNDOus View Post
Every time I see Fiora's splash (where she's stabbing someone while twisting her hips around to show as much bootay as possible) I think of Rob Liefeld, master of bizarro anatomy.

example liefeld cover
That's what Zyra's default splash makes me think of!

Like... what is her right leg doing ): How does vine whipping the viewer involve that much chest-thrusting?

Either way, it's at least not THAT bad. I think it may even be an intended homage in some of the splashes, but I wish League's art was a little less ridiculous.

(and for the record I think Syndra and new MF's splashes are awesome!)

Queso Queen

10-10-2012

Personally I would like a better/more visual changes done to the map.

...We get two so far...Halloween and Christmas maps.
For those of us that have been here for forever, I want to see these AND MORE. Do fun summertime maps, Add shooting pumpkin lazers instead of towers *please i really want like massive scarecrow's shooting lazers* heck during winter map you could have a reflection of santagragas flying over the ice or something, just something -more-. New years maps, thanksgiving maps, riot birthday maps (that would be so fun with birthday fids yaaaaay balloons!)

IDC about a different map like that one i dont ever play uh whats it called...hell i dont remember what it is called because i havent played it since they day it came out...starts with a D...Deminion or whatever (just not my thing thanks) I just want more visual maps.

MajinNecro69

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafafafrani View Post
We do actually! If you have a portfolio you'd like to submit, you can email it to art_recruiting@riotgames.com. We can't guarantee you'll get a report, since we have to look at a lot of links, but we do look at them all
In regards to portfolios, what do you guys look for in a good portfolio? Is it more on technical skill, the ability to compose a picture, or how creative one can get in the realm of fantasy? Also, is League of Legends fanart a sure way to get noticed, or is it sort of off-putting and makes the view-ee's portfolio seem manipulative?