Let's Talk League Art

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crai Crushna

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
This is a great question. A lot of art direction is fairly subjective. You try to make the best calls possible given all of the factors. It takes some thought, research, question and answer sessions, chats with passionate people and feedback from the teams that make it all possible. You certainly can’t please everyone, but you try to make great, bold choices that are right for the game and the people that play it. That is paramount. I say bold because we want you to have something unique.

When we started with the visual exploration for the new splash art, we asked people what they thought of the League “look”. What words described it? There's no way to get an all encompassing perfect list with a game like League, but some of the words seemed to come back again and again: heroic, bad-ass, sexy, exaggerated, unique, humorous, unexpected, colorful , fantasy inspired, etc. From that baseline, and our own experience with League, we looked at artwork that inspired us. We then did explorations on splash art keeping in mind the game as it is, feedback we’ve received, our community, etc.

Through our explorations we decided not to do things too realistically. We wanted an art style that allowed us to be flexible (some would say too flexible – MF’s spine OMG) and expressive without worrying too much about breaking things. We wanted to be able to experiment, have fun with the art and still deliver something that was right for the game. You guys are seeing that now. We try to make champions that are larger than life, so we wanted our proportions, poses and rendering style to reflect that too.

At some point in time, I would love to find a way to share that process with you guys. And to also share the concepts we create. The art that you don’t see is sometimes more interesting than the art that you do see. But that’s just my personal take…because I love the thought process behind what makes a great champion even when it’s a loose sketch.

We’re evolving League, you guys are giving feedback, and we’re honing it in based on a lot of factors. This isn’t a moment, it’s a journey. And it’s quite a ride…)

You could show the fans some pictures first. Simple concepts of the splash (just character, no backgrounds) in black and white sketch or Photoshop or whatever and let us comment on which one we like? Before a concpet get's verified there are many iterations and ideas, so why not give them to the community to look at? That Lux art is good, but the pose is off. How can you as an artist and human being (meaning has bones) actually allow for such poses?

Denyal

10-10-2012

A question to RiotNarya and I hope you read it, what about another champions who are actually played a lot but aren't that popular, like kennen, he used to be a high picked tournament pick and still played a lot but he REALLY REALLY needs a new ingame model, those eyes...

and what about the totally "non popular" champions who need badly a model rework, maybe its the opportunity they need to be played more often idk.

?ŕrš

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
It's certainly the art teams area! In that same spirit of evolution, it makes sense for us to consider maps as part of that strategy. We want to constantly improve every aspect of the game. Don't hold me to specifics just now, but there's definitely room for improvement on maps.
How about Yi ?

Skygrip

10-10-2012

Making a new udyr skin would be nice

Ozmega

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

hi, is there any chance for us to get Chinese nightblade irelia art ported here?
i mean, that one is at least 100 times better than ours.

Kari Arisu

10-10-2012

Please revert or update Lux's splash art.
Most will agree it is NOT an improvement. Sorry.

Also requesting new splash for:
Akali: Classic and Silverfang. [Classic is just old, Silverfang looks REALLY bad, Chinese looked better.]
Evelyn: Classic. Shadow, Tango. [Just looks bad, imo. Could use some new art.]
Nidalee: Classic, French Maid. [They don't look too bad, but I'd love to see some new art for them.]

kUkara4

10-10-2012

I have a question about the champion design. I have noticed quite long ago that the art direction of LoL has changed drastically since the beta (I haven't played LoL beta and joined the league at Graves' release tho). It seems that the more iconic champions, those that the game is mostly associated with (like Blitzcrank, Teemo, Annie, Rammus, Nunu) are all from the beta, and are all slightly more comical/humorous than the recently released champions. And I would not believe if you said that if you were designing Blitzcrank right now, he would look like the current "duck-feet" "big-hands" beep-beep robot. It is a bit sad for me to notice, since I like that sarcastic note that LoL had before. The few champions that kind of fit that older art-direction are Lulu and ... I have no time to finish this post, have to go. But what are your thoughts about this?

ProvokedSeven

10-10-2012

Shaco hasnt seen any splash-art justice since his release in beta. What about us Shaco fans?

Arutairu

10-10-2012

I have a question to ask about Lux. I know this is a controversial topic right now, but please hear me out.

Lux, considering her lore, in-game characteristics, and most importantly her Observation/Reflection (I consider this the most important because it directly reveals what she thinks, how she works, and what she considers important), she appears to me as an experienced battle-mage, but also, and very importantly, cheerful and innocent.

While outwardly lighthearted, her Reflection tells a different story. She states, when asked why she truly wants to join the League of Legends, “Because I have nothing else…”. Her past includes her parents virtually abandoning her to the Demacian military, forced through indoc and military training, which, and while she eventually accepts and comes to find pride in her accomplishments, she has not entirely let go of her previous experiences.

The old art reflected that, a young woman who, while an outwardly positive, capable and experienced battle mage, is still troubled by her past and the **** she went through to get where she is today.

The new art, in my opinion, indicates that she is dipping into insanity. As if instead of her past simply troubling her, it has forced her to adopt an overly cheerful demeanor to hide an utterly broken personality. This does not match with her in game quotes, or indeed her lore and Observation/Reflection, where her demeanor appears genuine.

In addition, it must be said that the new art appears to have followed the current trend of entirely sexualized poses. In the vein of Fiora, new Morgana, Freljord Ashe, and indeed the vast majority of the female champions, we have resorted to the back breaking poses serving little to no combat or lore intent. Her old splash was quintessentially classy, honorable, and innocent, all qualities prominent in all of her lore. The current art reflects none of this.

BlackMystic

10-10-2012

Can we get another gothic vayne skin..Like vampire vayne. Dragonhunter and Valentine are too out of character for me..vindicator is nice