Let's Talk League Art

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darkvolcan

10-10-2012

Well OP said we could ask about UIs too, so I guess I'll go ahead and do that.

Over time, I've gotten more used to it, but I remember as a new player, I found the UI to be really clunky and obstructive. It just got in the way of things too much.

Does the art team have the power to change the UI layout and options on it?
And if so, will we be seeing anything in the future? Such as resizing different individual things, completely getting rid of others, and moving frames around?

ArashiCrystal

10-10-2012

So i looked at the first post and i see "Maps" And something that i have been wondering is if we will see a return of the Halloween themed Summoner's Rift map and the Winter themed map. Also i'm wondering if you guys are considering creating maps with different visual themes just for the hell of it.

Like a Demacia, Noxus, Ionia themed map or one that is set inside of a castle instead of being outdoors. Personally, i really hate being outside and the champions should hate being outside as well.

Surgo

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
Through our explorations we decided not to do things too realistically. We wanted an art style that allowed us to be flexible (some would say too flexible – MF’s spine OMG) and expressive without worrying too much about breaking things.
Maybe you ought to consider rethinking this? I recently managed to get my wife to start playing the game; Miss Fortune loaded in a bot game next to Katarina, the first time she saw either. What did she say? "Miss Fortune looks wrong. Just wrong. That's not how things work. She <pointing to Katarina> is better though. She looks sexy."

I don't think "looks wrong" is the impression you want to give new players.

Avissel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-10-2012

When you get to the Taric rework, please try not to lower his levels of outragesousness.

You can take his big triangle feet though.

Bonsant

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

I got a question which is a bit of a stretch and i doubt it will be answered but i'll just go for it anyways.

I'm aware from grumpy monkey that Sion is in line and being worked on for a remodel and such. I'm curious to know if there is something more to the sion art rework than what was done with other champions. Reason being is that many Riot artists emphasize the need to retain what is iconic in certain champions when they do remodels which makes it increasingly difficult. That being said, I think just about everybody agrees that there is nothing iconic to Sion. Just to clarify, I don't mean the theme he is supposed to convey isn't iconic; every game should have an undead warrior of some sorts and they are almost always well known to players. Sion, however, is pathetic interpretation of what an undead warrior should be. It's not just his art that is poor, his abilities all together do not suit his theme (explosion shield, cannabalism with an axe, gorgon gazing stun). I feel like, even with a remodel, and EVEN if later ability changes are made, he will always be a poor representation of a zombie type character. That being said, would Riot consider taking his theme to a new direction? Something, perhaps, that everyone actually sees him as being and would probably want in the game? I can think plenty of things, from giant, to ogre, to cyclops. Any interesting theme can apply such as voodoo to ancient greek. I feel like Sion will always be a disappointment as an undead champion even if he just looked better. Moreover, he is taking the place of a very iconic theme that could be left for a new champion that is significantly cooler and more fitting to the whole undead champion theme.

And if not, at least change his god awful uncreative title.

Malrock3

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
This is a great question. A lot of art direction is fairly subjective. You try to make the best calls possible given all of the factors. It takes some thought, research, question and answer sessions, chats with passionate people and feedback from the teams that make it all possible. You certainly can’t please everyone, but you try to make great, bold choices that are right for the game and the people that play it. That is paramount. I say bold because we want you to have something unique.

When we started with the visual exploration for the new splash art, we asked people what they thought of the League “look”. What words described it? There's no way to get an all encompassing perfect list with a game like League, but some of the words seemed to come back again and again: heroic, bad-ass, sexy, exaggerated, unique, humorous, unexpected, colorful , fantasy inspired, etc. From that baseline, and our own experience with League, we looked at artwork that inspired us. We then did explorations on splash art keeping in mind the game as it is, feedback we’ve received, our community, etc.

Through our explorations we decided not to do things too realistically. We wanted an art style that allowed us to be flexible (some would say too flexible – MF’s spine OMG) and expressive without worrying too much about breaking things. We wanted to be able to experiment, have fun with the art and still deliver something that was right for the game. You guys are seeing that now. We try to make champions that are larger than life, so we wanted our proportions, poses and rendering style to reflect that too.

At some point in time, I would love to find a way to share that process with you guys. And to also share the concepts we create. The art that you don’t see is sometimes more interesting than the art that you do see. But that’s just my personal take…because I love the thought process behind what makes a great champion even when it’s a loose sketch.

We’re evolving League, you guys are giving feedback, and we’re honing it in based on a lot of factors. This isn’t a moment, it’s a journey. And it’s quite a ride…)
Since art is so subjective... is it possible that you could upgrade the client to allow people to choose how their spalsh appears to them? Given that you have all the old art assets and multiple splashes even for different regions, it would be pretty cool to allow some choice. This way people wouldn't be upset when things get changed, they could just set it to display the old splash for them. Plus it would allow people to see all of the cool artwork you guys have, as now it just seems to die, once it is no longer the official splash.

AndrewRogue

10-10-2012

Out of curiosity, since you mentioned a style guide earlier...

Are we going to see the splash art moving towards more sylized (ala Miss Fortune) or are we going to see a continuing shift towards the east meets west anime-comic hybrid style?

Terra Enigma

10-10-2012

I'd like to see Sejuani without her helmet. She must be very pretty under that helmet.

Skyhawke

10-10-2012

Hey Narya,

Do you work on any actual art yourself, or is your position strictly managerial?

If so, what have you worked on?

iFacepunch

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
please do better anatomy
First thing that came to my mind is the next male champ with a giant codpiece right smack in the middle of the splashart.