Let's Talk League Art

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Adrinaline

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aviatrix View Post
This is something that has bothered me since I purchased Morgana.

I've only been playing for two or three months, but Morgana was the third hero I purchased. When I purchased her, I expected her to be quite purple. In game... she's not. I was quite disappointed. Looking at her previous splash art, I can see a hint of the green tinged skin. So it was understandable. And then I looked at succulent Morgana's splash art versus skin... Her splash art does not say to me that the skirt would be blue. At all.
When I heard Morgana was getting new splash art I had hoped that it would resolve the feeling that the green skin did not match the splash art very well. But it's worse - her skin is VERY purple looking now. In fact the primary color used in that piece is purple. There's no hint that she'd be green in game, and to be honest, purple isn't very prevalent on her in game model period - hair and skills aside. Why was the color scheme of her model not used in the splash art at all?

This discrepancy bothers me to no end and has caused me to mistrust splash art when considering a purchase. Luckily, since then I've found some great sites to preview the skin, but it still bothers me.

Another character with this issue is Sion. His splash art is insanely green. But in game... he's not green at all. I'd imagine that this would be fixed with an upcoming skin rework, but the new Morgana splash art does not give me hope.

So...
Is there a conscious effort to accurately represent the color pallet of in game models when designing splash art? At what point does making the splash art look awesome trump accurate color representation? Does it concern you that the colors of the champion need to be changed to make an awesome splash art? I understand wanting an awesome splash art, but it feels disappointing when you see the art and are like "awesome, love this champion's look and color scheme" and it doesn't match in game.

I apologize if I've rambled... I tend to do that.
Overall though, I love the art in this game And yes, I am very fond of the purple in the Morgana art - which is why I'm so sad every time I look at her in-game. And I quite adore her new rage-face.
I can answer this one.

Because it's a picture, there's such a thing called "light sources," which are often tinted in many Champions' splash art.

Have you ever been under a blacklight before? Under that, your skin has a hue of purple. In Morgana's splash, for example, the energy ball that she has in her hand is reflecting onto her skin, as well as the glow of her eyes. In her Succulent skin, there's a red fireplace in the background which makes her pale green skin look red, as well as the off-blue of her skirt.

Her blackthorn skin doesn't have very powerful lightsources, which is why she is her natural color in that one.

There's a green fire (or ghosts?) around Sion, which reflect off of him and make him look very green.

The coloration goes for all champ splash art that are different colors than their model.

Jayjayko

10-10-2012

I adoooooore LoL art and honestly it inspires me to try my hand in artwork as well. Also this interaction between developer and player is awesome.

For my question, is some sort of unique personalizing of a Summoner's profile going to be introduced? We saw part of this when Pulsefire Ezreal was introduced with theme, but im wondering if something more will be introduced to let us customize our profiles.

UNKNOWN BOSS

10-10-2012

;-; Please do LeBlanc soon.. Her overall outfit REALLY deserves a change, it doesn't really show mysterious as it shows more "sexy" quality to it. Although I do like it, i just think she needs a rework. SHACO needs one too O:

unother then that you guys do some legit art, Makes me inspired as an artist myself.

Who is Sexy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

1) Why did you change Ashe' art so much? The old Freiljord (the version before the current one) was so amazing and badass looking! The new one looks like a balerine (dancer)
Oh Oh! I just had this idea (dunno if its possible to do it but..):
When you change a champion' splash art, could we have the option to change it or not? The same as we had the option to switch from Refer a Friend 1.0 to 2.0 or not.

2) Why so many champs have only 2 skins? ie: Fiora

3) Why are new champions released with only 1 skin? Before champs were released with 2 skins (2 different bundles ie: Sejuani's release) I love to buy a bundle to encourage the awesome work you guys do (cool champ + cool skin) but with only 1 skin choice, sometimes I don't like it..

4) Will you make more themed skins? For example I would love more Astronauts!

Leorite

10-10-2012

Can you do something about Orianna's? That Blue magic line confuce's me, i never see it. Unless it's that color behind the ball when she use's her Q.

Edzter

10-10-2012

just stop using chinese art, seriously the art doesnt match the in game look anymore, pantheon would be a perfect example

Rahgar

10-10-2012

Are we gonna see some new art for Olaf any time soon? His model and splash art are starting to show their age lately (nowhere near as bad as Sivir or Nidalee though, do them first, they need it), and our favorite berserker could use a fresh coat of blood and-or paint.

GodEmperorLetoII

10-10-2012

Please revert Lux' and Morde's splash screens and such... the new ones SUCK!

Absuseless

10-10-2012

Please, Evelynn needs some love. She is in need of new art and new model too.

IS1c4d0c584523e580653b4

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNarya View Post
He needs it right? You will not be let down. I will say more globally that League, as you guys know, is an evolving game. There are many reworks in store and our good ole' Cho is among them.
Glad to hear it! I think he's one of the most concerned champs when it comes to reworks, mostly because of his special growing mechanic. I'd love to see him actually start out as rather sleek at no stacks, and increase in bulk rather than just scale the model. Might be a bit too ambitious mayhap, but it would be badass.