Let's Talk League Art

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jamvert

10-09-2012

Personally, I like the art that is a little more lively and colorful like the new Twisted Fate as opposed the gloomy stuff like Dianna and Syndra or colorless stuff like Tryndamere.

CarbonWyre

10-09-2012

Can you look at this thread?
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...0#post30069800

If you can't here's the jist. You mentioned UI updated and can we do something about the champion icons/health bars/mana bars on the left side of the ingame screen? Their update speed is so slow that they are practically useless and I love the idea of them! So can we please please update the speed that they refresh at?

thekillertree

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

What with changing some really good old splashed that the community really liked (such as Lux's and the White ashe one, i cant remember.) Both of those had really interesting style that many of us enjoyed.

RiotNarsil

Art Director

10-09-2012
23 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smikro View Post
I'm glad you guys have the time to answer these kind of threads. Not only it's insightful, this interaction between developers and players it's the kind of thing that makes LoL such a good game.

Now for a question, do you guys have any plans in improving the maps themselves? I'm not sure if it's your area, but I think there's a lot of room to improvement in the maps, since they haven't changed in a good while. The community really liked when Harrowing map was released last year, would be nice if we had something like this again.
It's certainly the art teams area! In that same spirit of evolution, it makes sense for us to consider maps as part of that strategy. We want to constantly improve every aspect of the game. Don't hold me to specifics just now, but there's definitely room for improvement on maps.

Parcher

10-09-2012

How about showing Sion some love? his model/art is outdated as his kit and viability (ZING!) Although his warmonger skin splash art is pretty cool the rest of him could use some work

Moobeat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

What is your favorite skin / splash art / champion?

The Aviatrix

10-09-2012

This is something that has bothered me since I purchased Morgana.

I've only been playing for two or three months, but Morgana was the third hero I purchased. When I purchased her, I expected her to be quite purple. In game... she's not. I was quite disappointed. Looking at her previous splash art, I can see a hint of the green tinged skin. So it was understandable. And then I looked at succulent Morgana's splash art versus skin... Her splash art does not say to me that the skirt would be blue. At all.
When I heard Morgana was getting new splash art I had hoped that it would resolve the feeling that the green skin did not match the splash art very well. But it's worse - her skin is VERY purple looking now. In fact the primary color used in that piece is purple. There's no hint that she'd be green in game, and to be honest, purple isn't very prevalent on her in game model period - hair and skills aside. Why was the color scheme of her model not used in the splash art at all?

This discrepancy bothers me to no end and has caused me to mistrust splash art when considering a purchase. Luckily, since then I've found some great sites to preview the skin, but it still bothers me.

Another character with this issue is Sion. His splash art is insanely green. But in game... he's not green at all. I'd imagine that this would be fixed with an upcoming skin rework, but the new Morgana splash art does not give me hope.

So...
Is there a conscious effort to accurately represent the color pallet of in game models when designing splash art? At what point does making the splash art look awesome trump accurate color representation? Does it concern you that the colors of the champion need to be changed to make an awesome splash art? I understand wanting an awesome splash art, but it feels disappointing when you see the art and are like "awesome, love this champion's look and color scheme" and it doesn't match in game.

I apologize if I've rambled... I tend to do that.
Overall though, I love the art in this game And yes, I am very fond of the purple in the Morgana art - which is why I'm so sad every time I look at her in-game. And I quite adore her new rage-face.

Warrikon

10-09-2012

What do you think of the look of spell effects, eg talons rake and Nautilus' spells. do you think they are good? up to standard? need more work?

and what do you think about the direction that the skins are going, only having one skin per new champion.

IICrowII

10-09-2012

The new Lux art looks like she is insane. Was this intentional?

CarbonWyre

10-09-2012

can we do something about the champion icons/health bars/mana bars on the left side of the ingame screen? Their update speed is so slow that they are practically useless and I love the idea of them! So can we please please update the speed that they refresh at?