What exactly is couner jungling?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

johnnybravo2

10-08-2012

I'm looking to find out what counter jungling really is.I'm not yet level thirty, but I'm going to start practicing it soon, so it'll be important to know.Why are some champs better counter junglers than others, why are some like amumu really easy to counter jungle against, and why are other like WW really hard to counter jungle against?

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

Counter jungling is when you're going about your merry way, heading over to pick up red buff, and when you get there, only one of the little lizards is sitting there by itself waiting for you.

Basically, it means stealing away camps from your opponents' jungle.

Champions with faster clears can often get in and out without being caught, making them more effective then others, and champions like amumu that are especially dependant on a certain buff are easier to counter jungle because if you can take away that buff, you put them way back.

Hope that helps.

FaerellG

10-08-2012

It's not just stealing camps. It's harassing and slowing down the opposing jungler in general.
Stealing camps and buffs is a big part of it.
Entering their jungle and ganking them is also a great way to do it.
Setting up counter ganks could also be considered counter jungling.

KamiHenry

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

The simple way to counter jungle
Step 1 - Place wards in their jungle.
Step 2 - Wait until you find they're killing red buff. Early on, they will get quite low, half hp, maybe, depending on the jungler.
Step 3 - JUST before the enemy jungler smites, you smite their red, effectively stealing it, and then pounce on the enemy jungler.
The enemy jungler will then die, and then you'll wipe out their whole jungle. Proceed to ward the jungle some more. Once you see the jungler, pounce on him, and force him back, then take his jungle mobs again.
Ta dah!
Their jungler is now completely worthless, because he's so heavily under-leveled.
Proceed to win 5 vs 4.

letsslide

10-08-2012

This is the first thread I have read in the forums and this kind of information is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiHenry View Post
The simple way to counter jungle
Step 1 - Place wards in their jungle.
Step 2 - Wait until you find they're killing red buff. Early on, they will get quite low, half hp, maybe, depending on the jungler.
Step 3 - JUST before the enemy jungler smites, you smite their red, effectively stealing it, and then pounce on the enemy jungler.
The enemy jungler will then die, and then you'll wipe out their whole jungle. Proceed to ward the jungle some more. Once you see the jungler, pounce on him, and force him back, then take his jungle mobs again.
Ta dah!
Their jungler is now completely worthless, because he's so heavily under-leveled.
Proceed to win 5 vs 4.

etharian

10-08-2012

Agree with most of the steps. But i wouldn't waste my smite for two reasons. One is the red lizard will provide u with more damage if you don't smite him. And if he smites the red you will just get it when he dies. And. U get to have your smite. Obviously dependant on the situation when you should do this and when you shouldn't

FaerellG

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by etharian View Post
Agree with most of the steps. But i wouldn't waste my smite for two reasons. One is the red lizard will provide u with more damage if you don't smite him. And if he smites the red you will just get it when he dies. And. U get to have your smite. Obviously dependant on the situation when you should do this and when you shouldn't
Nope, smite it. Especially early game.
Why? Because it's a huge chunk of XP. Enough to level you most of the time. Pre-6, having that extra level means an extra skill which greatly increases your capability in the subsequent fight.

Also, if you don't smite the red and they take it, they get the bonus true damage and slow for that fight...which might turn the tables.

MuhGeeSher

10-08-2012

Already stated above, but I'd also like to note that when you do counter jungle (blue/red buffs) .
You can leave 1/2 of the minions behind so it'd so them down even more OR kill the two creeps along with the buff and time it so you'd know when the next one comes ( blue/red buffs respawn 5 mins. after killing ) .

My personal favorite counter jungler is Shaco. Free wards via his boxes so you know when the enemy is coming and viola. Free red/blue buff. Even if you get caught, you can escape with Q and /laugh.

Etherimp

10-09-2012

Factors in counter-jungling strength/weakness.

-Movement speed
-Clear speed
-Jungle sustainability (Average health as you go through the jungle)
-Duelist capabilities

Amumu is weak against getting counter-jungled because if someone comes into his jungle he really can't do anything about it. Imagine Trundle, Jax, Nocturne, or Udyr coming into your jungle as Amumu and stealing your camps.. What are you going to do? Fight them? They'll own you. This is part of the same reason those junglers I mentioned are great counter-junglers.. because they are great duelists.

Shyvana, Nunu, and Mundo are great counter-junglers because they are fast and can quickly kill part or all of a camp.

Lee Sin, Jarvan, and similar champs can be dangerous because they have mobility and they're rather beefy early on.

Warwick is a slow jungler but he has high sustainability and can easily recover from being counter-jungled. Losing a camp or two isn't going to set him back too much and if you go into his jungle and try to fight him, you'll likely lose due to his innate sustain. He is, in some ways, a good duelist.. But mostly he's just difficult to kill, where as others like Jax and Trundle are more dangerous due to their damage/cc/mobility.

johnnybravo2

10-09-2012

Thanks guys.This is exactly what I needed.