Regarding Honor, my thoughts of it now, and the future

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Penakoto

10-09-2012

Games resembling DOTA are infamous for the community, many people who played the original back in the WC3 days would probably name DOTA as the game with the worst community ever.

League of Legends, unfortunately, wasn't an exception, unfriendly players outnumbers the friendly players, asking for help or tips more often than not got you yelled at, and making a single mistake often gets to laughed at or the subject of someones rage for the entire 30 minute game. Simply put, the community could be better.

Then comes in Honor.

Based on my personal experience with the game so far, since Honor was implemented, I'm happy to say that people are more willing to be friendly and helpful, than get angry at their team or be generally disrespectful.

I feel like it's almost a complete flip-flop, and that the nicer players are more common than the non-friendly players. Non-friendly players still exist, and lets face it, they'll always be here, but so far, they don't seem to be the majority anymore.

Feel free to comment if you've had a different experience, or a similar one, I'm curious to see what others have observed since Honor was implemented.

---

Now, here's my thoughts on how to change, or improve the system.

Currently, I think there's a problem with the "Teamwork" option of honor. So far, I's my most earned Honor score. But, the thing is, I'm not the best team player, I forget my MIAs, I push too far too often.

Yet, I still earn a lot of Teamwork Honors, and usually, it's because I just did well as a player. Even if I never actually communicate, I'll get honors because I did really well.

This is a problem, I think, it doesn't really encourage people to act like a team, communicate, coordinate and such, if I'm getting Teamwork Honors just for killing lots of players without dying a lot.

Secondly...

Why is there no option to select multiple Honors? Can a player not be recognized for his friendly attitude, at the same time as his helpfulness? If a player is coordinating with the team well, and helping a new player learn his champ, do I give him a Helpful or Teamwork Honor?

There is the risk of people abusing the system, giving out all the honors to someone who's earned one, just to be nice, but I don't think this will be a widespread problem, and if it is, it could probably be monitored.

Thirdly... A thiought about the future of Honor.

How does, if at all, Riot plan to expand on the rewards earned from being an Honored player? I get the feeling the RIbbons you earn aren't the end of it.

These are my thoughts on the potential rewards Riot could offer, and why I think they might be a good or bad idea.

IP or RP rewards, the problem with this is pretty significant, easily abused, could be exploited somehow, wouldn't encourage 'proper' honors. Overall, a really bad idea.

Skins, I'm talking specialized skins like the ones given out for referrals. I think this could be a good idea, for two reasons. First, skins are cosmetic, just like ribbons, and could be taken away if you stop being honorable or abused the system to get them, so in a lot of ways, it would be easy to implement skins as a reward.

The problem with offering skins as a reward though, is that they'd only really be a reward if you actually play the champions. Unlike with Referrals, almost everyone is working towards earning Honor. If you give out, let's say, a special Warwick skin to players with the Friendly Honor ribbon, that means pretty little to someone who doesn't play Warwick.

What else could be offered? Perhaps special Summoner Icons? Avatars on the forum, if and when that gets implemented? I remember hearing about talks regarding ward skins, maybe a special ward skin for Honorable players? I think these are all good ideas, potentially, depending on the implementation.

---

Sorry if this is a huge wall of text, I just wanted to give my view of Honor, hard to sum it up and do it all justice. I will say though, that this is one of the better things added to the game.

If anyone wants to suggest their own stuff regarding Honor, feel free.

Penakoto

10-09-2012

I'm sure I'll have to bump this a few times, the tournament made the forum pretty active.

A Swarm of Koala

10-09-2012

It's been really nice.

Predakhan

10-09-2012

I think that the honor system combined with a lot more people getting warnings and bans is helping the overall attitude.