Initial Honor Results

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

desolation0

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneegrowdamous View Post
Honor is working, but not in the way people think.

As for most gamers, having a big numbered stats is always attractive for some reason. The honor system just creates an atmosphere where people fake their attiude, so in reality they are still that jackhole who is evil underneath all that gold. The purpose of any goal which strives to create positive behavior is to actually CHANGE the person, not have them fake it till they make in order to gain some incentive in the end. But i guess in the end the fake positive attitudes still have a a huge impact on the atmosphere of the game
Let me put my junior social psychologist hat on for this one. Having folks fake it for awhile creates a better environment, and generally being in a better environment changes a person's actual attitude and behavior for the better. For example, think NYC before and after the Giuliani and pals crime cleanup. Generally the same sorts of people live in New York as did before, but the environment improved and now fewer folks perform criminal acts.

It's easier for people to think it's socially 'acceptable' to be a jerk if you just got finished dealing with one in the previous match. That previous jerk's behavior may also have set you up with enough anger that you don't care what's socially okay and will act like a jerk regardless. Improving the environment prevents that scenario, at least some of the time. And now even if you did go through that the previous match, if the rest of your group is cheerful in your current match (whether for real or faking it), you're less likely to explode. Normal folks generally don't want to stick out like a sore thumb in a group.

That's all besides the positive reinforcement, in terms of meaningless gold stars, folks can receive for not turning into a jerk over a generally tough outing in a game, which likewise can generally improve actual attitudes over time.

AlexDnD2

10-10-2012

It would be interesting to see average honor/game percentages and compare your honor to the average. Assuming it could be averaged out on the game type too.

M3GaL0d0n

10-10-2012

Big plays Riot!

BerserkerMagnum

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Hey Lyte,

Have you guys considered incorporating Honor as a factor in punishment by the Tribunal? I know a lot of players who will occasionally break from their normal behavior and do something worthy of being reported. I know I have occasionally had outbursts after going on 7-10 game losing streaks and being tired of having mid tell me i suck and proceed to feed the enemy team for another twenty minutes because "it's over anyways".

InfiniteSlasher

10-10-2012

Thumbs up if i like this comment

Archelon

10-10-2012

I have said it before and I will say it again. Riot, you're the best game company around. This is a great system and I appreciate so much that you guys put effort into your community. I love that your sole focus is not revenue, like so many others. Granted, it is important, but you do so much to make the player happy, and keep the game as a whole a fun and enjoyable experience, while still maintaining a business. Its beautiful.

Fysics

10-10-2012

What if you Honor your friend after battles a lot because they are actually nice or helpful shouldn't they deserve Honor?

DarkVision1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Dr. Lyte,

you stated that toxic players will loose the weight of their reports (to prevent abuse, which i think is great!), however im wondering is their plans(or already in place?) for those with high honor/badges to have their reports on a toxic player weigh more? Also do players with badges/high honor weigh more when giving honor or will they potentially? While i get that it COULD be abused at the same time it could be really helpful to the community (and tribunal members) to see a report coming from an esteemed player vs someone with average or low honor.

Also i want to talk about your forced choices and why i think they are in themselves a trivial decision or more correctly so easy to understand you dont need a "study" for it(it hurts my eyes when i look at the sun, gee i should stop doing that. not exactly hard to understand :P). LoL is a TEAM game which means if you play well with your team even if your friendly or say offer a different item build your more likely to get the teamwork honor for a number of reasons. so i guess the correct thing to do is break down what i consider to be the "normal" reasons for getting/giving the various types of honor.

Friendly- Thankfully this one doesnt need a whole lot in the way of explanation, treat people well, and you get friendly, IF you havent been playing really well with your team

Helpful-I think this is something you would see a LOT more at lower levels, i mean someone told me about mobafire for builds, someone told me about warding and what a gank is, what order to do a jungle in etc. but once your level 30 the most i ever do is ask my support for wards, very very rarely offer a different build to someone(people get offended by build advice very easily in my experience so i tend to shy away from doing this). which means this is probably the rarest form of honor for any level 30 player. i already "know" the game which means im rarely going to get useful advice or critique, or be able to give it. Also when you look at where advice tends to be given(your doing bad) your not going to be as receptive to it, so again at level 30 i would tend to think this to be the absolute hardest badge/type of honor to get especially when you consider that helpful falls under the 2 other settings of teamwork(you help a new player your helping your team) and friendly(your not raging over the fact that sona didnt put a ward in river and u got ganked, but saying hey next time please put a ward their after we respawn so that dont happen again) in other words this category to me is a subset of the other 2 giving us 2 choices and a half of one, makes it even harder to choose this category, and makes it almost useless. perhaps a different heading such as teambuilding would be better. it gives you a distinct difference between just being friendly or teamwork.

Teamwork-Well thats what this games come down too, if you gave the other team a run for their money, or stomped them in the dirt(i know its harsh but it does happen...both ways) you tend to get teamwork honor no matter what role you played, no matter if you did or didnt qualify for the other 2 this is what you will tend to get because this is a team game, you lane well, thats teamwork, you grouped well for objectives? thats teamwork, its all over the place and frankly we ALL like to win, and if you have won then chances are very good you played/coordinated well with your team, so even if you were a saint in game being forced to give you one or the other honor i and most others are going to go teamwork, unless you REALLY stood out in a different way. (since ive already mentioned the build site, ill just say look up the top rated mundo guide, its hilarious, if i had that guy in game i dont care if he is 1-40 im gonna give him a friendly :P) but at the same time how many of us are stand up comedian funny in game? which leads back too getting honored for teamwork, even though you didnt call names or go off the deap end when you got 5 man ganked with no mias(speaking of maybe a new category called Restraint? i mean seriously where are my MIAS OR PINGS GAH!!!!! :P)

Honorable Opponent-I can say for a fact that i both normally receive and give this based on the loss. In other words i loose(ie my team does) but hey we put up a fight! so at least i got some honor out of it, same time i tend to give this to a team or team members who handled the loss well, they didnt rage they still worked hard, but just didnt cut it. Now obviously part of the psychology their is that hey you won(even if it wasnt worth more IP you WON, why would i honor you above the greatest of all honors..winning)

I realize that too some that this entire post will seem like a rationalization, which it is in part, but its more about how we all think/feel even if we dont admit it to ourselves. That being said, the fact that in my experience(and im sure even as your statistics will show) is that these choices are not equally weighted, and i do think some sort of system should be put in place(re rewards) that help to reward the great teachers and the off label comedians roaming our ranks, or that we get a set number of extra "actions" daily to reward those who were great team players, but also very friendly or otherwise helpful. That or again perhaps a redefining of the word choices used so that the different forms of honor are more clearly separated in word choice, or we will continue to see this land slide of teamwork points with a spattering of friendly/helpful.

side note here:my honor stats are currently 5/5/19/15 and i only know of one person on my friends list(100 players) that have a stat that exceeds their teamwork stat. I feel this is relevant because i regularly delete friends if they are ragers/abusive(consistently), in other words i only have friendly people on my friends list....yet only one person in 100 is considered more friendly than helpful to their team? While i think this system is great/has great potential i dont think the categories as they stand are working as intended, or working as well as they could. Well sorry for the book but i tend not to say anything unless i have something to say...and obviously i had a lot to say.

waxdollninja

10-10-2012

Very positive change in the games atmosphere overall. Hope some tangibles come into effect once the newness wears off to keep it going, preferably visual rather than game balance effecting. IDK maybe unlock the ability to purchase "rare" honor skins/portraits/player tags or something?

personally i like the current descriptions yes Teamwork is easy but it should be as its is basics of how to play if people arnt cooperating then thats the most frustrating thing which leads to the sort of antisocial rage spam thats the problem...

stoked to get a helpful or friendly.

Galladrim

10-10-2012

Dr Lyte,

I have a statistical inquiry to make of you. Are people more likely to give out honor they win, or when they lose, and what is the relative ratio?