Initial Honor Results

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Viivi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Great idea that seems to be working, keep up the good work Riot!

Yin30

10-10-2012

I dont like the honor system! I like playing with mean players that are fun to troll, and now there are less of them! curse you Lyte!! Curse youuuuu!!!!

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-10-2012
38 of 66 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestaaja View Post
Dear Dr. Lyte.
I'm just wondering about a few things at the moment. I personally don't have a lot of time to play these days, I average maybe 5-6 games a week. So I was wondering if the crests (and other upcoming rewards) have only to do with how much honor you get (quantitative-wise), or is it somehow tied in with number of games played as well (honor received per games played etc.)?
Just thinking that someone who plays, say, 60 games a week will have on average 10 times as much honor as me, if we were to play similarly, in which case it would also take me 10 times longer to gain the same "respect" as this other person, even though we would in fact be equally honorable. Which would be sad for me
I also play the majority of my games with my friends on weekends (when I have free time), and thus the vast majority of my honor will obviously be distributed among those same friends. Should I be worried that the system will catch me and suddenly have me back at 0 honor, just because I like playing with the same people a lot? (And how about when we use voice-comm, the teamwork we have won't be seen directly in chatlogs, and thus impossible to catch, so it will come up as spamming honor if I were to play a lot of 5v5 with the same team?)
1) We do normalize for number of games played so if you were just as Honorable as the player who played 10x more games you will still have a similar chance to get a Crest.

2) If almost all of your Honor is from your friends, then the system will be suspicious if you are truly Honorable and why you aren't getting any Honor from strangers at all.

SLRMercedes

10-10-2012

Lyte, should I report people who verbal abused others in a Co-op game? My friends kept telling me not to cause no one cares about co-op vs. ai

XReyoX

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchBossDaBossen View Post
I just can't see how a number in game that does nothing would affect toxic players behavior. Like why would they start behaving better now, it's not like honor does anything?
It does. People are influenced by these things easily. Think about it. More people are toxic in ranked because the result of the game influences their Elo. Does Elo do anything?

Elo = Measure of skill
Honor = Measure of reputation and respectability in a sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLRMercedes View Post
Lyte, should I report people who verbal abused others in a Co-op game? My friends kept telling me not to cause no one cares about co-op vs. ai
You should report those who break the summoner code regardless of game mode.

Da Cups

10-10-2012

I love this idea and honour makes me feel so good about my self if I received some honour from the enemy team. It has increased my self esteem by quite a lot. Thank you for putting this system into this amazing game.

Sakuri Ono

10-10-2012

Hey Lyte; I'm curious if you've noticed a drastic difference between the amount of Honor per game that's typically rewarded per game in both SR and Dominion.

From Stream browsing since Honor game out and my own personal experiences I've noticed Honor seems to flow like candy in SR but in Dom people are far more stingy with it. For example; the streamers I've seen in SR, who exhibit honorable behavior, tend to at least get 1-2 honor per game. 3+ isn't rare.

Dominion steamers on the other hand, who behave in equal amounts of honor-ability, typically get 1-2 honor per 3-4 games. More than 2 is very rare and it's not uncommon to go several games without getting a single point. I've only gotten a few conversations about it in with people in Dominion hub communities and the general consensus I seem to come up with is "Dominion was already a barely toxic community; we don't care about Honor because it does nothing and why should we reward people for not being jerks?"

I'd like to know if your numbers back up the 'Dom honors far less than SR' theory or if I've just been getting the wrong sample groups. XD

XReyoX

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuri Ono View Post
Hey Lyte; I'm curious if you've noticed a drastic difference between the amount of Honor per game that's typically rewarded per game in both SR and Dominion.

From Stream browsing since Honor game out and my own personal experiences I've noticed Honor seems to flow like candy in SR but in Dom people are far more stingy with it. For example; the streamers I've seen in SR, who exhibit honorable behavior, tend to at least get 1-2 honor per game. 3+ isn't rare.

Dominion steamers on the other hand, who behave in equal amounts of honor-ability, typically get 1-2 honor per 3-4 games. More than 2 is very rare and it's uncommon to go several games without getting a single point. I've only gotten a few conversations about it in with people in Dominion hub communities and the general consensus I seem to come up with is "Dominion was already a barely toxic community; we don't care about Honor because it does nothing and why should we reward people for not being jerks?"

I'd like to know if your numbers back up the 'Dom honors far less than SR' theory or if I've just been getting the wrong sample groups. XD
But Dom games are shorter. It would be more accurate to look at "number of people encounter" versus "time spent in the given mode" I believe. That said, the weight of honor should be normalized so there isn't a go-to game mode for honor gaining.

costas84

10-10-2012

Hey Lyte sorry for being persistent.

But where do i stand? Should i improve myself as a person? Should i be more honorable?

I wanna know based on your data.

cocacolalips

10-10-2012

It's easy to see that all the honorables options do not weight the same. Hence so much disparities with the records.

'Teamwork' and 'Honorable Opponent' are so broad where 'Helpful' and 'Friendly' require the player to go out of his way, moreso 'Helpful' assumes one player already needed help in the 1st place.

It's simply naturally easier to get rewarded by a 'Teamwork' or/and 'Honorable Opponent' honor point.

My question is, do the 4 options contribute the same for the summoner to obtain the corresponding crest? aka is the ratio pts/strangersmet the same? If yes, will that change?