Initial Honor Results

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SalvanasOne

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyTabless View Post
I feel that honor is not being given out in the way Riot is intending. From the FAQ "Anytime a player has really gone above and beyond to make your experience better, we encourage you to award Honor."

However, it seems like people have settled a standard of "If you don't do anything dishonorable you get honor". The majority of games I play I get honor. Do I deserve teamwork honor if all I did was call mia? I often get honorable opponent when I said nothing in all chat.

You will sometimes see people say "honor" in the chat after game, just to remind people to give honor as there were no flame wars in the game and we all deserve honor. It feels like honor trading has become the unspoken rule (but nothing so blatant as to be reportable).
Seen the same, and I just ignore them, and give Honor when I think I should. And I'm sure there's many others like you and me who do the same. I think it balances out in the end. Besides, like I said previously, the point of Honor isn't to get rewards, it's to make the game less "toxic". If I don't get anything myself, I don't really care, it still seems like it's working.

CrazyPineapple5

10-09-2012

@Lyte

Another question. If somebody says "give me honor" is it an offence? If so what kind of offence? Is the honor system flawless or does it reset people's honor incorrectly sometimes? If it does do this can we send Riot an email and ask for our honor back? Sorry for so many questions!

Bobby McFrayson

10-09-2012

Hello Mr. Lyte

I have an honor crest myself, and I have only met one other player who has had it, and he was on the other team. What % of players have it? is my question,; as I have met a lot of people in the last 5 days who have never seen one before.

Thanks

fertybrando

10-09-2012

wow I looked at the link in my case, the tribunal gave me a warning for something that happened over a month ago? Way before honor system came out. One of the games was probably the worst game I have had in the last 6 months. Apparently whining in general is not allowed even when your having an awful game? I dunno. Screwed though that I can jacked for honor because of 2 games out of hundreds.

SalvanasOne

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakdemon View Post
For example, I was raged at by a cho'gath who was supporting me bottom lane for asking him to let me have the minion kills. He proceeded to say "everyone needs minion kills," to which I agreed. I then went on to try and explain why the ad carry is in need of a decent farm, and even recommended some gp10 items that would work well for him. In reply to this, he called me a noob and muted me. I've had this happen on several occasions.
Well then, don't Honor them. And if it gets to the point where he's stealing CS to spite you, that's what the Report system is for. You're still doing the right thing by trying to be nice/helpful, but if someone doesn't want to listen and gets angry, that's not your fault.

Demosthenes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte;30050082
So far, these abuse-prevention measures we built in have been highly effective:

[LIST
[*]Only 0.21% of players reported for consistent trading[*]0.63% of players actively trying to trade Honor[*]0.01% spamming Honor for dishonorable reasons[/LIST]
These players have all had their Honor reset to zero.
Lyte I'm so happy about the honor system, way too long in coming (I think honor should have come before Tribunal, from my perspective of how people work, though I'm not a phd like you!).

One thing I will say though, is that if you really want to see how many people will try to abuse, and catch all the ways that they find to do so, there's going to need to be an incentive. You'll only really find out if people can break it if they have a reason to want to break it badly enough

Anyway, keep up the great work! So jealous of your role at Riot! BTW, always wanted to ask, are they letting you do any purely scientific research based on what you find from doing all this? Will it be published or a coporate secret owned by your overlords!?

Kladiator

10-09-2012

Doctor Lyte,

Has your team thought about the possibility of the decrease in the total number of reports, being due to the fact that people are, for lack of a better term, "caught up" in the release of Honor and are only remembering to honor people and forgetting to report the toxic players because of this Honor "high"?

Also, I was wondering if you were going to add the Honor functionality when right-clicking on someone's name; that's how I usually report people and its a habit that I have when trying to Honor someone as well but its not there

Edit: A wild festive Baron Nashor, PhD appears!

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-09-2012
30 of 66 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardulus25 View Post
Lyte! I have a psychology question related to player behavior. In your opinion and training, if a person feels empowered about their decisions and actions over the course of a game will they be more likely to take responsibility for themselves? Will they also be less likely to blame others for a negative out come then? Will a person be more likely to be less dissatisfied with a negative outcome if they feel empowered about their effect on the game?
This is an interesting question. There's been some studies showing that if a player believes that 'strategy' is necessary to overcome a challenge, he will keep trying after he fails because he believes 'strategy' is something that can be improved upon.

However, if a player believes that 'physical attributes' like speed or actions-per-minute are necessary to overcome a challenge, the player is more likely to quit after the first few failed attempts because 'physical' speed is something that is difficult to improve.

This study doesn't directly map on to your example, but the similarities are interesting to consider. Ultimately, I'd love to be able to design features that reduce the triggers that cause players to go toxic after a negative outcome.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-09-2012
31 of 66 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby McFrayson View Post
Hello Mr. Lyte

I have an honor crest myself, and I have only met one other player who has had it, and he was on the other team. What % of players have it? is my question,; as I have met a lot of people in the last 5 days who have never seen one before.

Thanks
Currently, about 1% of players have unlocked Crests. This number should increase over the next 3-4 weeks.

Sire Steven

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvanasOne View Post
Well then, don't Honor them. And if it gets to the point where he's stealing CS to spite you, that's what the Report system is for. You're still doing the right thing by trying to be nice/helpful, but if someone doesn't want to listen and gets angry, that's not your fault.
Yeah, but the reason for this example was to explain why it's difficult to be a helpful person in game. I of course reported him for such hostile behavior, as it didn't just start with the "noob" thing, that was just a summary. Even so, I still find it hard to be a helpful person in game, which I have been trying to do even before the implementation of the honor system. As a person who intends to be a clinical psychologist, I enjoy helping people.