How to not win at League of Legends: Soraka

First Riot Post
1234567 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ragebeard Manric

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiotdroid View Post
Fiddle and Naut can't heal or give mana to their adc.
This is the whole point of playing Soraka.

If you are trying to be super aggressive and get kills early, then don't pick soraka.
If you want your adc to farm really well while being able to take some damage, play soraka.

I don't understand why people are saying she is a bad support.
Id rather have a Soraka support than a Fiddle support any day. Watch how Fiddle becomes useless late game because he has no damage on his Ult and just dies instantly in fights.
Healing your ADC is good, giving them Mana is secondary and in a lot of cases not entirely significant.

If I want to keep my ADC alive I play Janna. Preemptive shield use will provide almost as much sustain as Soraka's heal, being that it is on half the CD. I also have meaningful CC to contribute to the team late game, can peel multiple people off my carry by myself, and virtually reset a bad teamfight, and I can heal my carry too if I have to.

You make a point of saying that late game support Fiddle is bad, but how does Soraka compare to Janna, Sona, Taric, Alistar or Leona? Soraka's burst heals can only do so much, and then she does nothing for the rest of the fight. You better hope that 600~ HP was enough.

Meanwhile, Sona is stunning the whole team, Janna, Taric, Alistar, and Leona offer great initiation, peeling, healing over time (minus Leona), and auras. Their utility is so much more superior than Raka's raw healing output, and that's all Soraka can do.

No one is arguing what the "point" of playing Soraka is, we're saying that Soraka isn't good anymore. Yes Soraka is the "healing, sustaining support," everyone understands that, but that's not good anymore. Not as good as kill lanes have become thanks to the numerous passive support nerfs, of which Soraka was hit hardest because she has no other utility to bring outside of her Silence.

The reason why Janna wasn't hurt as bad is because she has god-tier CC to combat the kill lane and hard CC is what transitions best into late-game with a no item support. It's not coincidence that the "best" supports right now are packing good hard CC.

And again, I'm not saying Soraka is a BAD support, I'm saying she's the WORST support.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Idiotdroid

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossac View Post
Soraka's burst heals can only do so much, and then she does nothing for the rest of the fight. You better hope that 600~ HP was enough.
Wow this made your whole post invalid.
If you think teamfights with soraka is just heal and sit there, you are doing it all wrong.

Please....just stop posting.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RushSecond

Senior Member

10-08-2012

I feel obligated to respond to the subject of my "main" seeing how I'm 78% win rate with Soraka and 3 elo away from plat right now, in great part thanks to my Soraka play.

You are focusing too much on her heal. It's strong, but it's not the only strength she has. I have such a good winrate with Soraka because I pick her when
a) Her ult counters the aoe damage of the other team
b) Her silence screws over multiple enemies (or one enemy in a very consistent manner)

First all, her E is IMO her best skill and what defines her. Your hypothetical situation is terrible because Tristana doesn't benefit at all from having infinite mana, and I would never pick Soraka if my AD were Trist or Vayne. However, with Graves, Corki, Ashe, or Sivir, that infinite mana becomes a crushing harass and push advantage that the enemy lane MUST deal with or they will fall behind in cs and tower damage. Aggressive plays can be survived with smart use of exhaust, flash, silence, and heal, and then afterwards we can just play safe and heal to full while they have no sustain. Enough wards will keep their jungler unable to help. It's a much tougher situation to deal with than you realize.

Then late game, I keep Soraka relevent using my aforementioned counters. Say they have Amumu. I counterpick with Soraka. Why? Because anytime he tries to initiate, I can just silence him for 1.5+ seconds which is enough for my team to spread out, flash away, and counter-initiate on his team who tried to rush in and capitalize on an ult that got denied. Say they also have Rumble who, during the ensuing fight, ults my whole team. My ult will undo almost all that damage. The combination of these, along with my heal to prevent focus on a critical target, makes me just as relevant, if not more so, than other supports.

Some more examples:

Ahri: whenever we team fight, she CANNOT use her ult offensively, since a quick silence will shut down her mobility for 2.5 seconds, 99% of the time that's long enough for my team to capitalize and kill her.

Vlad: no pool = dead vlad.

AD carries with escapes: silence is a legitimate disable against them. I've baited countless Ezreal kills by silencing just as my jungler is about to reach them.

AP carries in general: their spells are generally based on proper timing, such that if I get ignored and am able to walk up and silence them at a bad time, it can really mess them up. In one extreme case, I silenced Orianna three times in a single teamfight, screwing up her ult timing for the first one, preventing a clutch save with the second and... well... scored a lucky kill steal with the third, cause we had swept the rest of their team at that point.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jmlinden7

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Imo, Soraka encourages her ADC to trade heavily due to fewer mana issues and encourages the enemy bot lane to play all in combos like Draven+Leona, Corki+Blitzcrank, etc.

If anything, Blitzcrank promotes passive play because you spend the first 15 minutes of the game hiding behind your creep line and the next 15 minutes losing because someone on your team got blind hooked.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lmpostor

Member

10-08-2012

Two points I would like to make.
1. Graves + Soraka is possibly one of the best standard bot lane combos. Now i know it wont stand up to certain counters, but this is a really strong method of laning. Push all the way to tower, deny last hits with smokescreen with endless buckshots and quickdraws. Just E-Q harass near the tower and you can just walk out every time. Recall when out of wards (bit worse on purple team) and basically win by atleast 30-40 farm.

2. After a teamfight you have 3 people with low health. One of them is Soraka. So you wait like 5 seconds and then push with full health. Maybe the enemy and your team spawns in 30 seconds, now you and your ally are both at full health and your team has caught up to you. Now you can teamfight again, without going back. Also poke comps, soraka laughs at that stuff. Can't get a proper engage? Well try again, because in between attempts you'll all have full hp again. Oh and wait, your team blew all of your hard cc. Well Soraka can just silence that Kat.

TLR Soraka is the situationally one of the most awesome possible picks.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DreamwalkerLin

Senior Member

10-08-2012

I agree with most things you say except the win lane part. Soraka is an extremely weak support yes, unless paired with the right carries such as sivir and kogmaw and ezreal. She is able to do this through her E which I odn't think you mentioned at all. When i get paired with the 3 mentioned above I tend to ward the side bushes and sit back and just E (maxed first) my carry all day long. this results in the enemy extremely zoned.

I think with the right ad carry soraka and be a 'good' support instead of a 'meh' but what really kicks her down is in team fights. Her R does little to no heal, maybe you can comfort yourself that you contributed to team fights but what you're really doing is leaching assists like a lvl1 Sona E. she can only heal a single focused target and leave others to die, and she doesn't really have room to q in the enemy team due to being squishy with no health armour or mr boosts and dies simply to AOE abilities. Again her best use in teamfight is her e and if you're very good, you can stop a kat/mf/nunu/karthus when they 'just' used their ulti.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sammystorm

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Close Game Life View Post
Soraka + Cait/Graves/Sivir - anyone with great shoving ability really

Shove towers like mad and chip away with AoE damage, never run out of mana doing so.
You can lane aggressively in a different way compared to Blitz or Leona supports.

As for the gank vulnerability because you're shoving... that's what wards and counterganks are for, and then it isn't about the bot duo as much.


Anyway, I think Soraka's fine the way she is. Her skillset just doesn't work well with carries like Tristana
and then the jungler ganks netting them a double kill because soraka has no cc


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WestCoastPimpin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnLocTov View Post
Soraka has gotten a bad reputation in the past for being toxic to gameplay. She tends to force both sides of the lane to be passive or just prevent any aggression from actually resulting in a kill. This is true and it creates annoying gameplay, but it isn't actually a problem from a picking perspective. I'm here to tell you that Soraka is the worst support in the game. Note here that I'm including all champions, not just typical support champions. Support Renekton is vastly superior to support Soraka.

What is the problem with Soraka? Well, let me pose a hypothetical lane matchup. Caitlyn/Leona vs Tristana/Soraka. How is this lane matchup going to go? Caitlyn/Leona isn't really in danger of being killed barring extremely aggressive action from Trist (flash+ulting someone back into a tower) because Trist, and really any AD, doesn't possess enough CC to lock someone down for a kill and Soraka just doesn't help with this. She is the only support who doesn't.

If Leona ever catches Trist, shes probably fine. Soraka can help her tank the damage long enough for her to jump away. If Soraka gets caught she will probably be stunlocked until death, but since she doesn't need to lasthit, she can stand back far enough to not get caught. Using this, Trist/Soraka can survive the laning phase, freefarm, and Trist can outperform Caitlyn lategame, resulting in a likely win for the team, assuming the other lanes at least pull even, right?

Wrong. Because there is more to it than that. While supports are almost always the weakest champion on the team lategame, they are still significant in fights. Under reasonable conditions, no anticarry (except Olaf/Poppy) is going to be able to kill a Cait with a Leona protecting her. Anyone who tries will be locked up by Leona and shot to death before they even reach Caitlyn. Cait is essentially free to shoot the entire fight with little worry. Trist may have longer range and better steroids, but she will spend less time actually shooting because she needs to kite. Soraka can help Trist tank an anticarry, but she can't actually stop them from attacking her. If they are Physical, she can probably tank through the damage/CC long enough to pull out a win, but it will be close, and she might not be able to safely return to the fight. If they are Magic, like Diana or Akali, Trist is just dead unless a third person helps to peel (Good luck to the rest of the team fighting 2v4).

At this point, you might think "OK, Soraka isn't good late, but then you can just take Vayne/Kog, a real supercarry, and just have the jungler or someone else peel when the time comes. Soraka can just help them survive laning, and even if she is dead weight lategame, its ok." This is sort of true, and it can work, but you are having to work around her weaknesses for no real payoff because plenty of other supports can do the same thing.

The key problem is this: If Soraka gets stunlocked, she is probably dead, and even if she survives, she now has to waste a bunch of sustain healing herself, and doing nothing for the AD. Taric/Sona/Alistar/even Karma all heal themselves as much (or twice as much in Ali's case) as their target. This means they can afford, in most cases, to take some hits for their AD. Did you know Alistar has a shield? It's called Alistar. You don't get to just walk past an Alistar and hit the AD. He would be a good support even without a heal. But he can afford to eat damage all day because he has one, and it heals himself, which, contrary to what you might think, is actually better. It's the same reason Fiddle works as support. A 3 second ranged fear is ridiculously good. and Fiddle can afford to eat harass because of his innate self sustain. A support doesn't need to shield the AD, or heal the AD, or interact with them in any way. They just need to make sure they can farm, and this is much better accomplished by threat-of-death than health/mana sustain. In short, there are better options for helping an AD "survive" the laning phase.

The problem goes deeper though. It's not just that other supports can do the same thing and be more useful later. It is that you cannot win lane with Soraka. You can fight it to a draw and have a better carry late, but you can't just stomp all over anyone. If your AD gets a pentakill in a level 1 teamfight, you can't properly captilize on it because you can the only support in the game that cannot lock someone down in any way. When you pick Soraka, you have slotted yourself definitively into a defensive role. You are hoping for, at best, a draw in the lane. There are some champions who are good early, bad late, or the opposite, and while there are often alternatives who are strong all game, those picks can still be fine if you play them right, but Soraka has a uniquely nullifying early, and bad late.

TLDR: You don't win early. You lose late. You are a useless pick.

This right here, is supporting correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSHvz...layer_embedded

Note that this would be fine even without the kills. Even just sitting behind a Leona lasthitting would be fine, because freefarming is good, and Leona wins late.
So you're saying if your ad gets a penta you cant zone them while maxing out sorakas heal and let your jungler focus on other lanes??


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ashley R0se

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyCake View Post
solo mid soraka main
yes, I agree buff soraka

Buffing the stats Soraka has right now would increase her ability to do the mediocre work she does as a support. But it wouldn't make her a better support. In order to make her useful, she'd need a complete rework in my opinion.

But Riot has said that while Soraka (i.e. making a support who was a healer and ONLY a healer) was a mistake, it's in the past and the best they can do now that she's out is not make another like her. That's paraphrased, mind you.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ashley R0se

Senior Member

10-08-2012

It's nice to see this coming from someone so much better than I am at this game. When I play support and am asked to take Soraka, I get frustrated and try to explain why she's not a good pick. Nobody understands. Hearing that I'm right about that from someone who probably knows what they're talking about is reassuring. I will never doubt myself again when telling my AD Carry that I won't be picking Soraka.


1234567 ... 11