Ranked Help!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ansh123

11-24-2012

Hey.
I hit level 30 last week, but don't seem to be winning(solo/duo) as i used to in normal PvP. I play mid and solo top. The champions I play are olaf, teemo, annie, le'blanc and cho'gath.
Can someone give me some tips?
Regards
ME

Etherimp

11-24-2012

Yeah, don't play ranked until you have about 500 wins (or more) AND you have approximately 10% more wins than losses.

Ansh123

11-24-2012

Wow.

themaddscientist

11-24-2012

Normal and ranked queues do have some significant differences. In Ranked, you don't have the free week champions that you find in Normal queue, and everybody follows the meta a lot more strictly. I had similar problems when I started playing Ranked. I lost a few games and ended up pelted into 1100 for almost all of Season 2. In hindsight I deserved to be there for not getting enough diverse champions and not building my rune pages correctly. Make sure you set yourself up the best you can for when you start playing.

On another note, Ranked queues have been crazy recently because of the soft elo reset. It has somewhat been sorted out, but I would give it another two or three weeks if you have just started playing Ranked games.

Etherimp

11-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansh123 View Post
Wow.

I'm being serious. You will just lose a lot of games, get flamed a lot, and not understand what you're doing wrong until much later. Trust me... You THINK you're a decent player right now, but when you have a couple hundred more wins under your belt you will be much better equipped for ranked. Not only in experience but in champion/rune selection.

Ansh123

11-24-2012

But in PvP, most of the games have no junglers, more than 2 ADC and no support.
How is that going to make me more experienced?

XxFGDxX

11-24-2012

The key to playing more games in normals is to learn the diversity and on-the-fly strategy changes. In Ranked, most people watch streams and try to regurgitate what they see. By playing normals, you learn the fundamentals of the game and you teach yourself better map awareness by using mini map often and being able to understand the movements of champions.

Very simple example: if you see mid moving to their blue, the jungler is probably there too, which means the lane furthest away can make a play or your jungler can counter jungle the area that player isn't at.

These are all things to learn before going into ranked and it will help you out a lot regardless of what lane you play in... So I completely agree with the person who said you should have 500+ games played, and in those games, you should try to play each role at least 100 time to help you understand opposing champions.

ExecutionerKen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-24-2012

Quote:
But in PvP, most of the games have no junglers, more than 2 ADC and no support.
How is that going to make me more experienced?
It just means that your normal elo is pretty bad, I have about 450 net wins (1600 wins and 1150 loses) and I am always facing gold ranked or above players in my normal queue (mostly plat).

That is much better for me to deal with, as I am diamond ranked in s2.

Ansh123

11-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExecutionerKen View Post
It just means that your normal elo is pretty bad, I have about 450 net wins (1600 wins and 1150 loses) and I am always facing gold ranked or above players in my normal queue (mostly plat).

That is much better for me to deal with, as I am diamond ranked in s2.
By PvP, I meant normal, not ranked.

Etherimp

11-25-2012

Quote:
By PvP, I meant normal, not ranked.
He means normals, also.

There is a "hidden Elo" in normal games. The higher your win/loss ratio, the better players you're going to be playing against. If you're still playing Normal queue games where there are no junglers, that means that your normal Elo is pretty low, which means you need a lot more practice/experience before you're ready for ranked.

Also, try playing Draft games. The players there tend to be a little more serious and know the game a littttle better, although not much sometimes.