Sooo..... is our meta screwed?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Astynax7

10-08-2012

So, we've all had the chance to watch our precious NA teams get dominated, and now that we've all had a good cry about TSM being out, I feel like we should stop and think about the way we play this game. In the next.... many many many words, I will lay out my argument for why NA teams are losing, and what we might out to do as a community to change the meta.

TL;DR: Asian teams are pushing hard, and winning game because they have way more map pressure, even though they can't win teamfights. This take a huge dump on our meta, and will beat us if executed well. So, why aren't we doing this too?

I was watching interviews the other day with Saintvicious. He called this happening to all of NA because he as he said "The Asian teams are not about teamfights. They say 'Teamfights? Nah, I'd rather just take your towers'" This gives them a huge map presence advantage, and allows them an early advantage, and an out lategame, because they can always splitpush. In the WE v AZF game, we saw WE take 4 towers in like 12 mins. AZF held them off VERY VERY VERY well, and then won it in teamfights, but the only reason that game was so close was because WE was putting so much pressure on AZF. So, look at what the Jokers did to dignitas: same thing. Look at Najin now. They did it too, and even though some of their opponents could win teamfights, they couldn't beat the map!

So, how do we respond to this new meta? What's should we be doing? What can we fix in our meta to counter this problem?

Takhuan

10-08-2012

The na meta works if you are blue team. If you are purple team you are putting yourself at a disadvantage. Blue team can more easily secure dragon by holding bottom because the jungler spends more of his time farming wraith, golem and getting red for ganks. Purple team jungler only has wolves and blue at bottom of the map so they can't afford to camp down there, it will hurt the Jungler to stay down there too long, especially if they cannot afford to get boots soon enough, the risk of loosing their red to the enemy jungler is very high for purple team under this meta.

Astynax7

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takhuan View Post
The na meta works if you are blue team. If you are purple team you are putting yourself at a disadvantage. Blue team can more easily secure dragon by holding bottom because the jungler spends more of his time farming wraith, golem and getting red for ganks. Purple team jungler only has wolves and blue at bottom of the map so they can't afford to camp down there, it will hurt the Jungler to stay down there too long, especially if they cannot afford to get boots soon enough, the risk of loosing their red to the enemy jungler is very high for purple team under this meta.
My point doesn't really revolve around the junglers as much as it does tower kills. From what I've seen, that what the Asian meta does better than the rest, and it's why they can lose team fights, and not care at all, because they can push and pressure, because NA teams are too.... afraid/passive to do so.

Simpleboo

10-09-2012

I don't think. the meta is to blame for the NA team losses. As Alex- ich pointed out, NA teams are more likely to solo queue and stream than practice together as a team 10 hrs per day. We'll have to wait until season 3 to see if the NA teams encountering the Asian meta again will have a profound effect on their play or if they haven't learned anything at all.

PrecariousPanda

10-11-2012

i try and take the asian point and try to push towers and people just don't want to and play the KDR (kill-death ratio) game and it fails, if people push towers it makes for a shorter game and we win, i've had a team get on board and we pushed to victory in 8 minutes

Topsy Crets

10-11-2012

NA is more concerned with KDR like BeardedPanda said. If you take a losing game and push towers at
the right time you can actually win if your team can just keep the enemy secured for the moment. I've done
this with a friend before and I'm sure everyone has. KDR Meta is STRONK but we can manage to fix that
easily if newer metas get used enough. Eventually things will change. For now it's CoD kids trying to have
best KDR.

TheFlyingSpoon

10-12-2012

Good point OP. I think the answer is to react to the aggression well with map awareness and defense, including counter-aggression. I was disappointed that M5 didn't react well enough to TPA's aggressive strategies.

YOU SO BAD

10-13-2012

NA doesnt have a meta....that is our problem...since the beginning we have been pulling our meta from the other servers.

Mirth The Bard

10-13-2012

I believe that the problem is that european and especially asian teams play in a particular style, they don't just think of what is their meta, they practice multiple strategies that would otherwise be uncommon so that they can confuse the enemy team. NA teams tend to take it too safe when it comes to their choice of champions, summoner spells, etc.

bountygiver

10-13-2012

The "asian meta" mentioned is actually key to win the game. Come and think of it, MOBA game is all about push down all the towers and destroy the final building, killing is just another optional objective. So focus on main objective rather than optional objective is always the key to WIN a game.