@Riot: My proposal about Matchmaking; A Potential Solution to Elo Hell AND Toxicity

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Volkaram

10-07-2012

Right now, Riot is devoting a lot of resources and work into removing toxic players from LoL. At the same time, a huge portion of the LoL community considers themselves to be in "Elo Hell" (by this I am referring to elo that is less that 1400, but most people believe it is all elo below 1200). I have an idea that will help to solve both of these problems.

In this thread, I will be using my last game as an example for my idea. You can look at the lolking pic here.

Match players by their current elo AND their number of ranked wins. What happened in the game was our jungle, top, and mid were doing fairly decent throughout early and most of mid game. However, our bot lane struggled and were completely dominated by Corki and Soraka. After the game, I took a look at each player's ranked wins by mousing over their name. Low and behold, every person in the match had a few hundred wins (the lowest was 155). Except for Ezreal and Taric. One of them had 0, and the other had 6.

In low elo, there are players who have a lot of experience from playing hundreds of ranked games (which was most of the players in the match). There are also players who are new to ranked, many of which just turned lvl 30. The former are much more experienced than the latter, and yet they are matched with each other as equals. As you can see from my example, newbies to ranked are no match for people who have hundreds of ranked games played, and matching them together only serves to hurt both parties.

Now, to the toxic players. Most if not all arguments in league are due to someone doing badly in a game. A large proportion of these "bad games" occur when people are on a losing streak. Losing makes people frustrated. Frustration makes people play worse. Playing worse leads to more losses. It's a vicious cycle. When you have people that are relatively new to ranked playing with people with hundreds of wins, they will almost always do badly. This causes their team to get mad at them because they are doing bad, and arguments begin. Afterward, they all report each other to the tribunal and then join more games to start the whole process over again.

If Riot implemented this change, the idea of Elo Hell would become much less prevalent, there would be a clearer idea of a "true" elo, and there would be less toxic players due to a better way of matching people with people of the same skill level.

Volkaram

10-07-2012

I am going to try to keep this bumped until I get a red to respond. Even if it is just to acknowledge that you read it.

lCantGetNoSleep

10-07-2012

What happens to people with 20 wins and ~2000 elo (that start playing at the middle or end of the season).

Rrett

10-07-2012

Elo hell doesn't exist.