Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Champion Remake] Tryndamere, the Barbarian King

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ItemsGuy

10-07-2012

Champion Remake Compendium (read the first few sentences before commenting in this thread) (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2655643)

With this remake I will be:

-Settling Tryndamere into a defined playstyle, as opposed to the spin in -> chicken -> right click -> ult -> spin -> heal he’s got going on right now

-Removing all elements of anti-fun and things that don’t fit in with his playstyle (his ult and heal, respectively)

-Turning him from “crit single targets really hard and then not die for 5 seconds before spinning away and healing” to “damage as many people possible by swinging your huge-ass sword and generally be a scary damn Barbarian King,” while still keeping the problem of “ineffective melee AD carry” at bay (wherein the only reason he was an effective champion at any point was the fact that he could make up for his lack of range by “buying time” with his ultimate, but since I’ll be removing it, I’m going to need to solve that problem in other ways)

Innate: Undying Rage

-Upon dying, Tryndamere will continue moving at 70% movespeed and will begin slashing wildly for 100% of his total AD as physical damage in the immediate area around him every second. Lasts 3 seconds plus an additional second for every 25 Fury he had when he died.

(Reappropriated and heavily changed Tryndamere’s old ult from something that generally required an exhaust or two to counter, as well as something that could be used as an escape tool, into part of the foundation of Tryndamere’s new, barbaric playstyle. Somewhat kept the “ineffective melee AD carry” at bay, although this is now done through discouraging players from killing him immediately—especially in a teamfight situation—as well as from facing him one-on-one without a plan of escape. In this sense, it fills out almost the exact same purpose of his old ultimate, but in a way that provides some sort of counterplay. Since it can no longer be used as a tool of escape, players will now be encouraged to adapt the “barbarian” mindset, similar to Olaf’s—wherein escape is not an option, and your only goal is to jump out, deal as much damage as possible, and generally be scary as hell. The “don’t focus Trynd” aspect of this now also ties in with his damage scaling throughout the battle—similar to Darius, but employed in a completely different way [wherein with Darius, it’s “kill him before he kills everyone else,” which contributes to his strong presence and authority, but in Tryndamere’s case, it’s somewhat of a method of “buying time,” allowing him to ramp up his damage and survivability throughout the teamfight to make up for his lack of range]).

Q: Bloodlust

-(passive) Tryndamere gains 6/12/18/24/30% lifesteal and 10/15/20/25/30 bonus attack damage.

-(active) Bloodlust’s passive bonuses are increased by 25% for every 25 Fury Tryndamere currently has. Lasts 5 seconds.

Range: Self

Targeting Type: Self-Cast

Cooldown: 12 seconds

Base: None

Scaling: None

Cost: None

(Tryndamere’s old Bloodlust was extremely problematic, in that not only did it encourage passive play, it rewarded him with a heal that he could access without really doing anything. Now that it’s a lifesteal/AD bonus that scales with his current Fury—ie. how long he’s been in a fight—it both encourages to jump into the fray and stick around, and enforces his Always Be Killing Things playstyle. Additionally makes up for his lack of range by granting him a potentially large amount of survivability, further rewarding him for “buying time” and punishing enemies for not focusing him and then eating a few seconds of free damage.)

W: (unchanged)

(Kept this because it also contributed to his fearsome playstyle, and the AD reduction additionally helps him buy time, as well as granting him the ability to make up for his lack of range when going toe-to-toe with ranged carries.)

E: Spinning Slash

-(passive) Tryndamere’s autoattacks additionally cleave all units in front of him for 30/40/50/60/70% of the attack’s initial damage (scales off of critical hits). Cleave does not affect the initial target.

-(active) Tryndamere spins to a target location, dealing 70/100/130/160/190 + (120% AD) physical damage do all enemies in his path. The cooldown is reduced by 2 seconds every time Tryndamere critically strikes or deals a killing blow (refreshes completely if Tryndamere kills a champion).

Range: 660

Targeting Type: Skill Shot (line)

Cooldown: 13/12/11/10/9 seconds

Base: Medium

Scaling: Medium-High

(The main contributor to his “swing your huge-ass sword around to deal as much damage to as many people as possible” style of damage-dealing, rewarding him with Fury if he can catch multiple people with his cleave, and additionally making up for his lack of range by giving him free AoE damage, which stacks with the survivability granted by his passive lifesteal as well as any more he has picked up through items etc., effectively allowing him to return to full health very quickly and often if damage isn’t focused onto him until he dies.)

R: Battle Fury

-Tryndamere works himself into a rage, adding bonus effects to his abilities for 5 seconds.

-(Bloodlust) Upon activation, Tryndamere gains 20/30/40% attackspeed and 10/20/30% crit chance for the duration.

-(Mocking Shout) Enemies facing Tryndamere are additionally feared for 1/1.5/2 seconds.

-(Spinning Slash) Passive becomes a 360% slash for 20/35/50% additional damage, active removes all crowd control effects.

Range: Self

Targeting Type: Self-Cast

Cooldown: 110/100/90 seconds

Base: None

Scaling: None

(Keeps the scariness of him yelling at the top of his lungs for 5 straight seconds while removing the frustration of not being able to kill him within that time. Simultaneously grants a substantial damage boost, potential AoE crowd control, and a free cleanse, effectively both buying him time and rewarding him for taking advantage of that bought time. Continues to make up for his lack of range and distinct disadvantage when it comes to escaping/positioning through sheer utility and survivability. This ability is what allows him to stay relevant past late-game without having to rely on dying, while also making room for dying if that kind of play is necessary.)

Starting Items: Boots + 3 health pots; Vampiric Scepter; Doran’s Blade

Finished Suggested Build: Zerker’s Greaves/Merc Treads, Infinity Edge, Youmuu’s Ghostblade, Bloodthirster, Frozen Mallet/Randuin’s Omen, Maw of Malmorius/Banshee’s Veil

Synergy Theme/Point of View: Took Tryndamere from “kind-of-outdated press-R-to-win pubstomper” to “Barbarian King.” Playstyle is now a defined “run in and do as much damage to everyone while scaring them senseless,” relying on the intimidation factor of his Innate as well as the damage reduction from his Mocking Shout (as well as its potential AoE fear) to buy him time, which he can then use to dish out strong AoE physical damage and generally ramp up his damage output even after death—as enemies may have to deal with a potential 7 seconds of a foaming-at-the-mouth barbarian even after they kill him, if they leave him alone too long. His death-defying Innate now also allows him to not be useless without his ult, while encouraging him to stick to fights and ruin everyone’s day as opposed to saving it as a last-ditch escape. Barbarians aren’t made for running away, they’re made for fightin’! Counterplay to Tryndamere would involve taking advantage of his lack of get-out-of-jail-free card by baiting him into a gank or otherwise unfavorable situation, and tricking him into getting out of position before a teamfight to take him down quickly and then momentarily retreating while he swings around for a bit before both he and his rage die out. In turn, a well-played Tryndamere would be able to judge the proper time to enter a blind rage and not fall for baits and traps, while unleashing that rage full-force to both contribute to and take advantage of the chaos of a teamfight, growing more powerful as his Fury increases and punishing enemies for not taking him out when they had the chance. Most importantly, as opposed to rushing straight in from the front, a properly-played Tryndamere would take full advantage of the fear and panic caused by a flank, catching the enemy team unaware after they’ve already begun to invest themselves into what they thought was a 5v4. As a true barbarian king, you must use fear and savage unpredictability to your advantage while not letting civilized men take advantage of your hair-trigger temper and tunnel-visioning tendencies!

Pethrax

10-07-2012

First off, you made it so that we have another from the death damage dealer. This is unacceptable. The key mechanic of Tryndamere is his refusal to die. You have replaced that with him running round like a headless chicken. No sir, as much as I hate Tryndamere, I will keep that as it is.

Q
Well, you just went against Tryn's theme, why not a significant portion of the community as well? I mean, a large amount of people qq'd about the amount of lifesteal Bloodthirster had, and you give Tryndamere more! well, that makes sense. And, more damage base than the old had when Tryn was at 1% of his life! wait, it doubles? Even worse! You took what was good, and made it broken and against what the community and Riot wishes.

E
Got rid of AP scaling to add a cleave ability? and then you don't even explain the range of the cleave. No thanks.

R
So, we are going to make his Q more OP, his W be....Hard CC instead of Soft, with cleanse? And his E still isn't explained clearly? I really must protest.

So you have swapped the passive with ult, made the ult from "I WILL NOT DIE!!!!" to "I AM A HEADLESS CHICKEN" and changed his passive from rage=crit to an ult that makes everything else gets better(i think.......) and made his Q, an already a large problem, to one that is insurmountable.

Please, if you rework Tryndamere, follow his theme, which is "I SHALL NOT DIE" not, "I HAVE A BIG SWORD" that is Olaf's thing, and its axes.

matrixEXO

10-08-2012

Quote:
ItemsGuy:
Champion Remake Compendium (read the first few sentences before commenting in this thread) (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2655643)

With this remake I will be:

-Settling Tryndamere into a defined playstyle, as opposed to the spin in -> chicken -> right click -> ult -> spin -> heal he’s got going on right now

-Removing all elements of anti-fun and things that don’t fit in with his playstyle (his ult and heal, respectively)

-Turning him from “crit single targets really hard and then not die for 5 seconds before spinning away and healing” to “damage as many people possible by swinging your huge-ass sword and generally be a scary damn Barbarian King,” while still keeping the problem of “ineffective melee AD carry” at bay (wherein the only reason he was an effective champion at any point was the fact that he could make up for his lack of range by “buying time” with his ultimate, but since I’ll be removing it, I’m going to need to solve that problem in other ways)

As I'm not bothered to go about with your skillset, let me define to you the more priority points you actually dropped off when you decided to post this change with your flawed reasoning.

1) Tryndamere's defined playstyle was that of a late-game high damage dealer that would obliterate the game. His finer points were that of a Barbarian, head-on attacking only (which in this case is just AA nonstop).

2) Tryndamere may not be fun to you, but it is to me. The timing to get the Ult in, the joy that the enemy cannot kill me for 5s. You can not get this effect from any other Champion, can you? Having a Zilean Chronoshift you is not the same.

3) Proper usage of his Ult makes Tryndamere the most scary Champion there is. While most rely on the damage from their spells and utility it brings, Tryndamere relies mostly on his brute force, his AD. This, in turn, reflects the form that he is currently. High uber-high damage he gains from Crit+AD stacking and his Immortal status for that 5s that disregards any CC on him to be able to use it, I call that scary in the right hands.

4) You sure your hands were right for him?