Our Thoughts on Playoffs Day 3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dazrix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

Also Redbeard, is there any formal structure of an Oceanic community, with Riot actively involved? If not, are there any plans to do so for season 3? Currently, as an oceanic player (Australia/NZ specifically, SEA and Garena don't count... Argue what you will, but they're not English speaking, and the qualifying process for a team is so flawed in this setup, bias against Aus/NZ) I'm also not referring to the community built website of LoLA. As this is not really a formally structured community, nor is it even well structured/organised.

is there any news on this front.. I know that there is a thread specifically of Riot employees asking for the connectivity details of Aus/NZ thats over 300 pages long with peoples connection latencies etc... But it's dated last year. The only thing I could see that Riot implemented to assist Au/NZ players was the predictive movement (which I know has helped us use Ali's headbut/pulv combo) but has brought out it's own significantly large problems that irritated the **** out of players, who aren't yet aware that it's the cause (getting pathing blocked by 2 minions, or in general, pathing blocking. Which is caused by the predicted movement saying you're going one way, when the two units move, and the quickest route is rerouted to be the other way - causing your champion to skitz out trying to path around two minions, who continue using predicted pathing aswell, causing you to seemingly be stuck trying to path around a couple of minions for 2 seconds.... Frustrating and can be game breaking, more so then not being able to do Ali's headbut/pulv combo)

Whilst I wouldn't know if Australia or NZ could be competitive on the world scale in a tournament, we should atleast be given the oppurtunity to demonstrate our abilities, should we not? When Season 1 started (I began on Kennen release, so preseason 1) I had a 5s team, that I had to leave due to being Australian and the harsh qualifying requirements. After this, the Garena and 'SEA' server was released (I know they're one in the same). However, to qualify with an Australian 5s team, you'd first have to go to your district-> regional -> National -> Singapore -> SEA or some ridiculous thing like that... Now that is all pretty standard qualifying to make it to nationals.... But this is something we'd have to do for EVERY tournament that would contribute to our circuit points. Furthermore - unless it was a WCG qualifier, you wouldn't be sponsored or paid to go.... this would all be from your own pocket. With LoL tournament winnings being <$500. For Aussies, $500 will get you to NZ.... but not back... So getting to a SEA country would be super expensive to send 5 people (that $500 would be $100 ea)

So please, give us a community that can actually compete.. We have the player base to do so - it'd really not be that difficult. And PLEASE don't contract it out - you may have your flaws in tournament organisation or even in your structure (in Aus highschools, tournament seeding/structure is a short course you can do to fully understand 'fairness' and 'fair seeding') but you have the ability to listen and interact with players. A contractor would not.

Also - if theres any plans to assist in Oceanic eSports for S3, I would appreciate if you located servers in NZ (cheaper) and setup base camp in Aus (if practical) purely because of Aus having majority of the Oceanic players (Brisbane/Melbourne, Melbourne is more of the hub in Australia, but Brisbane I believe again, would be cheaper. Don't bother with Sydney, you'll have a bad time.. mmk.)

xXLightRainXx

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0ndage View Post
OMG ITS THE NEAR THE END OF THE GAME, GUYS WE R LOSING.
QUICK LOOK AT THE SCREEN
LOOK @ THE SCREEN

*game restarted* whew.
^ this

Stalled

10-08-2012

@Redbeard, Did you write the OP or was it the marketing team, just interested, that's not meant to sound like an attack

Sevorast

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
Also, while Im here I wanted to clarify the original post. Were investigating all instances of reported minimap looking, and reviewing all available footage. This includes the level 1 ping in the Frost/TSM game many of you have pointed out. Well have a ruling based on the results of that investigation.
Just wanted to say thanks for this, I'm sure I'm not the only person who appreciates you looking into this. The importance of a fair and untainted tournament can not be overstated, in my opinion.

Looking forward to the rest of the games, taking off work again to watch

WNxKOA

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrix View Post
Also Redbeard, is there any formal structure of an Oceanic community, with Riot actively involved? If not, are there any plans to do so for season 3? Currently, as an oceanic player (Australia/NZ specifically, SEA and Garena don't count... Argue what you will, but they're not English speaking, and the qualifying process for a team is so flawed in this setup, bias against Aus/NZ) I'm also not referring to the community built website of LoLA. As this is not really a formally structured community, nor is it even well structured/organised.

is there any news on this front.. I know that there is a thread specifically of Riot employees asking for the connectivity details of Aus/NZ thats over 300 pages long with peoples connection latencies etc... But it's dated last year. The only thing I could see that Riot implemented to assist Au/NZ players was the predictive movement (which I know has helped us use Ali's headbut/pulv combo) but has brought out it's own significantly large problems that irritated the **** out of players, who aren't yet aware that it's the cause (getting pathing blocked by 2 minions, or in general, pathing blocking. Which is caused by the predicted movement saying you're going one way, when the two units move, and the quickest route is rerouted to be the other way - causing your champion to skitz out trying to path around two minions, who continue using predicted pathing aswell, causing you to seemingly be stuck trying to path around a couple of minions for 2 seconds.... Frustrating and can be game breaking, more so then not being able to do Ali's headbut/pulv combo)

Whilst I wouldn't know if Australia or NZ could be competitive on the world scale in a tournament, we should atleast be given the oppurtunity to demonstrate our abilities, should we not? When Season 1 started (I began on Kennen release, so preseason 1) I had a 5s team, that I had to leave due to being Australian and the harsh qualifying requirements. After this, the Garena and 'SEA' server was released (I know they're one in the same). However, to qualify with an Australian 5s team, you'd first have to go to your district-> regional -> National -> Singapore -> SEA or some ridiculous thing like that... Now that is all pretty standard qualifying to make it to nationals.... But this is something we'd have to do for EVERY tournament that would contribute to our circuit points. Furthermore - unless it was a WCG qualifier, you wouldn't be sponsored or paid to go.... this would all be from your own pocket. With LoL tournament winnings being <$500. For Aussies, $500 will get you to NZ.... but not back... So getting to a SEA country would be super expensive to send 5 people (that $500 would be $100 ea)

So please, give us a community that can actually compete.. We have the player base to do so - it'd really not be that difficult. And PLEASE don't contract it out - you may have your flaws in tournament organisation or even in your structure (in Aus highschools, tournament seeding/structure is a short course you can do to fully understand 'fairness' and 'fair seeding') but you have the ability to listen and interact with players. A contractor would not.

Also - if theres any plans to assist in Oceanic eSports for S3, I would appreciate if you located servers in NZ (cheaper) and setup base camp in Aus (if practical) purely because of Aus having majority of the Oceanic players (Brisbane/Melbourne, Melbourne is more of the hub in Australia, but Brisbane I believe again, would be cheaper. Don't bother with Sydney, you'll have a bad time.. mmk.)

When did this Overpowered thread become a aram?

I Am Tolan

10-08-2012

Somebodeyyy i used to know!!!!!

liquidcocaine

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxKOA View Post
He answered it in his pervious post, They hope to have a verdict by tomorrow.

must have missed that, i know he said they would have the verdict soon, but no time frame was set, where did you read this?

Nashun

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
What kind of pizza did you order? I'm so hungrayyyy!!!
Pizza Hut!

1 large stuffed crust pepperoni
1 big dinner box, which included:
-1 medium pan pepperoni pizza
-1 medium pan sausage pizza
-cheesy breadsticks
-8 buffalo burning hot crispy chicken wings
-1 2-liter bottle of pepsi
1 order of 14 buffalo medium crispy chicken wings

i just wanted to clarify that 11 chickens died for us to eat our LoL pains away.

it's a good thing your game is really fun or else we'd have been really sad

RedBeard

VP of eSports

10-08-2012
35 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedayisbreaking View Post
and just like that my long thought out post doesn't seem such a waste of time anymore

<3 redbeard. For real, you guys are handling this well. There will be naysayers and all, but overall good job rolling with the punches.
I think a lot of the dissatisfaction coming our way is fair, Saturday was a tough day for all of us, and you can rest assured that we are doing our very best to ensure we take every step possible to avoid situations like this from popping up again. Not everything is always in our control, but we are exploring ways to safe proof a lot of these things, like holding the tournament play locally so it's not open to internet interruptions (although the stream would die, but that's much better than the game dying).

We love you too, and we love all of our fans.

RedBeard

VP of eSports

10-08-2012
36 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashun View Post
Pizza Hut!

1 large stuffed crust pepperoni
1 big dinner box, which included:
-1 medium pan pepperoni pizza
-1 medium pan sausage pizza
-cheesy breadsticks
-8 buffalo burning hot crispy chicken wings
-1 2-liter bottle of pepsi
1 order of 14 buffalo medium crispy chicken wings

i just wanted to clarify that 11 chickens died for us to eat our LoL pains away.

it's a good thing your game is really fun or else we'd have been really sad
Man, you guys went to town!