Our Thoughts on Playoffs Day 3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dotislav Pro

Dead Cow

10-07-2012

Just wanted to give you guys a shout out BECAUSE day 1 and 2 went so well. A lot of people are focusing on how bad day 3 was, but you had two days that went near flawlessly and it seemed like people forgot that because the issues on day 3 were so severe.

Hartz91

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefftheMagicGoat View Post
Who is auto-down voting every statement made in this thread?!
Some random kid that should be growing a beard by now.

Bees

10-07-2012

I'm sure I'm not saying anything new, and up until this point I've been very critical of the way the tournament has been handled so far, but I'd like to say I really appreciate the posting of this thread. It's great to hear someone legitimately addressing our concerns (and telling us you're looking into it) as opposed to telling us we're just being crazy.

TylerHunt

10-07-2012

Except TSMs whole stat was blown in the one "glancing" moment....Riot you are a joke. Chaos has broken out!

Noxzhnoi

10-07-2012

I just want answers on the AF ping on the fog of war against TSM, if someone can explain that to me, im ok.

Breezeair

10-07-2012

@RedBeard This is the BIGGEST tournament of the year. You can't have this sloppy execution. All the other tournys should of been testing. You shouldn't be making such big mistakes in such big events...

TheHopip2

10-07-2012

What do you think of the suspicious ping at the beginning of TSM vs AF game 2 in the first 50 seconds of play?

Edit: Shen'd

o O

10-07-2012

I do appreciate all the work Riot has put forth for the betterment of eSports. It's just absolutely amazing. Regardless of the hiccup that occurred yesterday, I know that League of Legends is an excellent game and it will continue to grow. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

With that said, I do wonder why there was no hindsight (or lack thereof) when it came to these "issues".

If a Rioter could please answer these questions, that would be awesome. It would mean a lot to me:
- Why were players not in sound proof booths? You mentioned this:

Quote:
We’ve reviewed the existing footage and firsthand accounts from our referees, and we believe the player’s head turn may have been in response to a loud vuvuzela and crowd cheering. We haven’t found conclusive evidence either way and are continuing to investigate.
Even though the players were wearing sound proof headphones, they could STILL hear loud noises. This alone is a problem (can let the enemy team know objectives are being taken - such as baron). I do wonder why you guys didn't adequately test and anticipate these "sound issues".
- The players could see the minimap that was behind them if they titled their heads. Dyrus confirmed it on Twitter. Pictures further prove (that were at the correct position/angle of a player) that you could. Did any staff member at Riot not consider sitting down in the "hot seat" (where the pros were intended to play from) and attempting to look at the screen in the back?
- Sunlight. I don't know how that wasn't taken into consideration. If you host an outside event, expect weather to play a role.
- No LAN client? I'm sorry, but you really screwed the pooch over on this one. There is literally no excuse for not having one. You guys had more than enough time to prepare for this event. You knew it was going to be big. This is serious time mismanagement. As a developer who has about 10 years of programming experience, I know that taking your existing online client and porting it to be local wouldn't have taken much effort (especially with a team as large as yours).

My 2 cents.

I know that you guys feel bad for what has happened. We, the viewers/players, also feel bad. I'm just disappointed that you guys didn't have the necessary hindsight to avoid all of these problems. If you at least made an honest effort in being proactive in preventing some of these basic issues, I, personally, wouldn't have been this disappointed.

Ptmac426

Recruiter

10-07-2012

Easy solution to the Minimap peaking problem:

Put the teams in booths! SC2 has been doing this for years, and it's worked out perfectly!