Our Thoughts on Playoffs Day 3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YamiBelgarath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Bravo *claps*. Thanks for giving us the word- it's good to know that these things are being addressed, the community frequently finds concerns that the e-Sports officials prefer efficiency to morality, ignoring potential cheating and other issues to make sure tournaments are finished on time. It's really nice that you guys took the time to look into the issues, analyze them, and make 100% sure you knew what was happening,especially when that is the biggest part in making sure it doesn't happen again.

ON THE OTHER HAND:
I am profoundly disappointed- not that you guys make mistakes, everyone makes those, it would have been a miracle if such a huge tournament had no mistakes. But the mistakes you made were mostly ones that were incredibly easy to avoid- I would say the three highest priorities of this tournament should have been 1) all the games have minimal DC issues/pause time 2)the players have no preventable way of effecting their outcome other than gameplay 3) the stream has the highest possible quality.

I would like to raise the point that you failed two out of these three, and in exchange a bunch of lower priority stuff went perfectly. The only complains I have heard, and there are quite a few issues to address besides the above in creating an event like this, are the delays in gameplay and the potential cheating. I just don't understand- whose thought was it "Hmm, should I take 10 seconds and make sure none of the players can see the gigantic whopping screen everyone else is watching on? Naahh, what are the chances of that." Seriously- that person needs to go back to e-Sports event coordination 101, because in a normal industry making a mistake of that caliber regarding a venue would be easily cause for firing.

Since this event is on a whole different scale from anything you've done before, the delay is forgivable. But bear this in mind- this is probably the biggest jump in size of venue League of Legends will ever make. Unless LoL reaches Olympic fame, which I would be highly surprised by at least in the immediate decades to come, you are currently looking at a pretty normal size. Better get used to it and be prepared for it, because this kind of delay is not something that you can repeat more than once per many, many years, and you've just used your opportunity for it.

Sotriuj

10-07-2012

Hey!

EU guy here, just want to give my opinion,I stayed until 4AM and waked up for work just 4 hours later.

People are praising Riot about how good you managed the problems to the people who assisted to the event, buying pizza, refunding tickets and givin away stuff and I applaud Riot for whats looks as an amazing job.

Now the problem for us viewers was that we where absolutely in the dark. We had no clue about what was going on, or about to happen, etc... I understand people attending are top priority and we had the stream for free, but imagine me, at 3 AM wanting to watch M5, and having no clue of whats going on ever, just for tweets other people in the event happen to put. That was extremely frustrating, and this made the waitings even worse, right now this is the first official explanation I read, but assistants told on reddit how rioters where explaining the situations and such things.

Im guessing you were probably out of hands, but just my 2 cents on improving the communication to online viewers, we might not payed money for it, but we spent hours of good sleep for exactly not knowing whats happening, making the whole thing really infuriating

A Rioter describing the technichal issues and what was exactly going on would have improved my experience as a viewer in a unfortunate situation.
Hope you read it and learn what went wrong in the situation from the point of view of a EU worker vieqer

Ringcycle

10-07-2012

No live audience... So I'm going to have to cheer for ward clearing by myself?!

TribeofOne

10-07-2012

Is WE vs CLG.eu going to be decided by a single, final, match or will it be a brand new best of three?

innociv

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
Hardware and connection issues are harder to prepare for. Video cards can explode. Network cables can short out. Headsets can die. While we can pause and restore games, if any of those things happen in the middle of a teamfight, it will impact the course of the game dramatically. Long-term, we know we need better solutions for this and it is a priority.

Regarding yesterday’s connection failures, we had a string of issues including a power failure, and two internet connectivity incidents we are continuing to investigate. It sucks that this happened, but we’re going to dive deep into the root cause to see if there are any other redundancies that could safeguard against this in the future.
No they aren't.
Have 1 or 2 backup connections, including satelite.
Run a local private intranet for the games to be hosted and played out, so the only bandwidth you need is sending out the stream.
Have battery and generator backups.
Those two things are ones all other tournaments, with less hype and smaller prize pools, prepare for. There have already been issues more than a year ago of power outages, and internet outages. Those tournaments, going forward, took measures against them. Why hadn't Riot?

Have back up video cards, headphones, microphones. This is basic redundancy. It sounds like you had nothing at all, for anyone. One set of everything. You were hoping it didn't rain, too.

raidragon

10-07-2012

luckily dota 2 international 2 got none of this issue and I can watch the in-game replay

RedBeard

VP of eSports

10-07-2012
12 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbletoad View Post
RedBeard -In the future, instead of having djWHEAT come out and be the "bad guy" and announce that the games were canceled for the day. You or another Riot employee should of of manned up and took the stage to make the announcement. It looks better that way since it shows you are not hiding from your "mistakes". Granted the "mistake" was not really in your hands.
You are quite right, this was a quick decision we had to make on the spot. DJ Wheat is a pro at this and we decided to let him do it, but in hindsight it should have been me.

DarkestPhoenix

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post

Team WE/CLG.eu game

• We’ve reviewed the existing footage and firsthand accounts from our referees, and we believe the player’s head turn may have been in response to a loud vuvuzela and crowd cheering. We haven’t found conclusive evidence either way and are continuing to investigate.

RedBeard
I wanted to snip this part out and say that soundproof booths could have helped a lot with the whole crowd annoyances. I get what you guys were trying to go for without them(The teams being cheered on by the audience), but I can't help but feel a lot of these issues probably could have been solved via a good setup of booths(Including a dividing wall between the two teams, whether that could have been a black wall on the booth or whatnot.) Either way, my two cents. Hoping for a Wednesday match!

VaIse

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSoulL View Post
@RedBeard,
IF Riot reaches the conclusion that AF and WE were in fact cheating, what would your solution be to this problem?
Keeping in mind that this is the biggest event in LoL/esports history (1,000,000 prize pool).
Would you give TSM/CLG.EU another chance or continue with the tournament, or something else?
I would like to see this answered as well

Celestya

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

But seriously Redbeard, what's the reason for not using booths?