How important is your anti virus?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Deconstructor32

10-07-2012

Since I'm getting a new computer I'm thinking about getting an anti virus program for it. I'm probably not going to use it a lot outside of games and schoolwork. I'm still going to keep my old laptop for music and surfing the internet and such. I have kaspersky for my current laptop and I dunno if I feel like dealing with them, I've had issues with them from billing to installing the updates and they just have pretty ****ty customer service in general. Norton's seems overpriced and I hear it can be a pain when trying to install/run things sometimes. Any thoughts on the subject?

Jesus the Friend

10-07-2012

I almost never have an anti virus on my PCs.

They are generally more trouble than they're worth, that has been my experience...

Deconstructor32

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus the Friend View Post
I almost never have an anti virus on my PCs.

They are generally more trouble than they're worth, that has been my experience...
That's how I feel sometimes but also I'm kinda paranoid about it.

BACKSTABUUU

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Just download Avast, it's free, and it's better than Norton could ever hope to be.

Also, don't pay for Norton or McAfee, they're both trash.

Coedeed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

I don't even have an anti virus and haven't been using one for 2 years.

Deconstructor32

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by die4769 View Post
Just download Avast, it's free, and it's better than Norton could ever hope to be.

Also, don't pay for Norton or McAfee, they're both trash.
Never heard of Avast. I'll check it out.

TheFieldMarshal

10-07-2012

Honestly, I keep everything important backed up, and if I get a virus i nuke my system and reload. Full reload including windows updates and game installs takes less than an hour.

Chicago 777

10-07-2012

I use avast I like it.

Kodoku

10-07-2012

The free ones are at least as good as ones like Norton, and often less intense in their resource consumption.

Personally I use AVG (free version), but avast works too. Haven't had a virus in years, and AVG doesn't bother me with popups or other nonsense. In fact, I don't think I'd ever recommend a paid antivirus software to anyone for any reason. Having said that, avoiding activity likely to get yourself a virus is a much better route than trying to block/destroy them with software.

On a similar note, using adblock and noscript (or the equivalent script-blocking app or feature for your browser) makes internet surfing both safer and less annoying.