Katarina DPS vs AP

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Boundless Spring

11-18-2009

Taken down due to the idiocracy that is LoL Forums.

Pigsticker

11-19-2009

I don't think the popular logic these days is to go AP. The only thing AP builds have over Atk builds is a harder hitting Shunpo which 1/2 the time is used to get away from your opponent. When they changed the Lotus AP/Atk ratios the first time, it became pretty obvious which was superior. The most recent unnecessary nerf just proved it.

Motas

11-19-2009

I personally think that they should eliminate the AP ratios off of her. (or at least take them all down to .3 or .4). For the record, right now, Shunpo's ratio is .75 (100Ap = 75 damage). i hate AP Katarina and I consider it to be an abomination to LoL, attack damage and attack speed is the way to play her. I really enjoyed your guide and would recommend it to all those n00bs out there that play AP katarina. +1 nice job man, keep up the good work.

GNOY

11-19-2009

Noone consider tank Katarina? Mallet for slow and HP, then Warmong, >Impaler, then more HP, then proceed with owning.

Charmicarmicarmicat

11-19-2009

tank kat doesnt seem like a threat to me.. plus impaler adds nothing to lotus.

I can see the idea of getting warmogs as part of your core item, but full tank? Nah i wouldn't.

Gryfter

11-19-2009

BRUTALIZER

Any Kat, who doesn't get this first is missing out.

She doesn't rely on mana, so the 10% cooldown is a 10% increase in her damage. Better than any other item you'll get for the same price. Add to that the extra damage (nice boost for the price) and armor pen.

I can't believe this item is overlooked.

Miyamiya

11-19-2009

I like Tank Katarina personally, as the damage/AP on her abilities scales pretty poorly and the base damage is quite high.

I think a Death Lotus in the middle of 5 people is enough of a threat to get some CC focused on you.

On a side note, I didn't realize the damage from Atma's doesn't stack with Death Lotus. Usually the other team surrenders before I have much time to use it against them. Besides, there is less importance placed on Death Lotus in a tank build anyway.

Boundless Spring

11-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigsticker View Post
I don't think the popular logic these days is to go AP. The only thing AP builds have over Atk builds is a harder hitting Shunpo which 1/2 the time is used to get away from your opponent. When they changed the Lotus AP/Atk ratios the first time, it became pretty obvious which was superior. The most recent unnecessary nerf just proved it.
Could be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motas View Post
I personally think that they should eliminate the AP ratios off of her. (or at least take them all down to .3 or .4). For the record, right now, Shunpo's ratio is .75 (100Ap = 75 damage). i hate AP Katarina and I consider it to be an abomination to LoL, attack damage and attack speed is the way to play her. I really enjoyed your guide and would recommend it to all those n00bs out there that play AP katarina. +1 nice job man, keep up the good work.
Thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryfter View Post
BRUTALIZER

Any Kat, who doesn't get this first is missing out.

She doesn't rely on mana, so the 10% cooldown is a 10% increase in her damage. Better than any other item you'll get for the same price. Add to that the extra damage (nice boost for the price) and armor pen.

I can't believe this item is overlooked.
Katarina has some of the collective shortest cooldowns in the game, so really it won't help her as much as another champion. And if Armor piercing works anything like magic penetration it blows. (something like 5 penetration negates one ability defense). And meleeing with Katarina is a bad choice anyhow. Death Lotus is an AP ability so even if it applied, it might not be great.

The blue golumn is easy to get. A 10% reduction of cooldown is 10% more damage OVER TIME. It doesn't help your 1-3 second zerg at all. Which is where Katarina is at. When I go cooldown reduc, there are other items I prefer, even the recommended item set armor is good, adds a nice AP defense and hp regen too. It won't help you death lotus again in the same fight. It can help you get out and shinpo again. Then again, with it being less than 7 seconds for me, I am not sure how much less than a second is going to help you really.

Boundless Spring

11-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyamiya View Post
I like Tank Katarina personally, as the damage/AP on her abilities scales pretty poorly and the base damage is quite high.

I think a Death Lotus in the middle of 5 people is enough of a threat to get some CC focused on you.

On a side note, I didn't realize the damage from Atma's doesn't stack with Death Lotus. Usually the other team surrenders before I have much time to use it against them. Besides, there is less importance placed on Death Lotus in a tank build anyway.
The problem with Tank Katarina vs someone like say Mumu, is you can't do **** for damage. Death lotus will be so weak it is sorry. They will stand in the entire thing and laugh at your face. It is also hard to do any other damage. Shinpo can do maybe 300 some. Bouncing blade less than that. Your auto attack will not even be mentionable. And you can not disable or stun. The only bonus is 3 seconds of 70% or more evasion. Again however you can't avoid AP abilities.

Gryfter

11-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjall View Post
Could be

Katarina has some of the collective shortest cooldowns in the game, so really it won't help her as much as another champion. And if Armor piercing works anything like magic penetration it blows. (something like 5 penetration negates one ability defense). And meleeing with Katarina is a bad choice anyhow. Death Lotus is an AP ability so even if it applied, it might not be great.

The blue golumn is easy to get. A 10% reduction of cooldown is 10% more damage OVER TIME. It doesn't help your 1-3 second zerg at all. Which is where Katarina is at. When I go cooldown reduc, there are other items I prefer, even the recommended item set armor is good, adds a nice AP defense and hp regen too. It won't help you death lotus again in the same fight. It can help you get out and shinpo again. Then again, with it being less than 7 seconds for me, I am not sure how much less than a second is going to help you really.

If you play Katrina correctly bouncing blades should almost always be on cooldown.

At a mere 1330 gold (easily gotten by level 4/5) Brutalizer gives you a really big boost to your main farming and harassing skill. It adds about 50% to your base damage and increases overall damage by 10% on top of that (from CD reduction). Getting this quickly is the key to getting early kills at 6 when you first get lotus, because it allows you to harass so affectively, setting them up at half or below life when you hit 6.

Katrina is NOT about a 1-3 second zerg. She is about doing sustained FREE damage with bouncing blades until an opportune time to shunpo in and ult.

Also, If you are taking golem buff with Katrina, you are an ass. The main benefit of the golem buff is mana regen, which you have absolutely no need for.