Suggesting a New System for AFK/disconnect/leavers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dustyspells

10-06-2012

I think most of summoners would agree that the worst moment in this game is when one of ally leaves game or AFK in PVP.
Since PVP system matches up players with similar levels, there is very little chance that a team can win 4 vs 5 fight. Most of time, other players of the team also leave or surrender and everyone(even the opponent) feels screwed up.
Just raising penalty for leave/afk won't help since there are occasions when a player get to leave the game due to some unexpected issues.(internet connection issue, program error, urgent phone call, sudden stomachache etc...) Also, even if the leaver gets penalty afterwards, it doesn't really help those left behind in the game.

So, I hereby suggest a system that can actually help those left-behind players to continue the game and give some reward for that. The basic idea is to make AI to take over the champ of disconnected player. Of course, I guess I am not the only one to think of it, but I DO have more detailed system to make it more viable.

<New system: Hope for the Left-behind>
1) If a player is AFK(no mouse and keyboard input) for 60 seconds the player is automatically disconnected.

2) While a player is disconnected from a game (either he exits the game by himself or get disconnected by the system), AI instantly takes over the champion and continue playing.

3) Ally players take a vote to decide whether or not to inform the enemy team about the disconnected player.

4) Ally player can give some simple commands to AI-controlled champion such as: go to top/mid/bot lane, go jungling, defend base, follow/help one of the ally champ. Once AI takes a command, another command cannot be made within 3 seconds.(to reduce some chaos for spamming commands) AI-controlled champion will also respond to alert/retreat pings.

5) When a AI-controlled champion has more death than kills(only counting kill/death during AI-controlled period), each of ally player will receive 1 cs equivalent of gold each time an AI-controlled champ gets killed by enemy champion. This is a small compensation for AI feeding to enemy champs.

6) If the disconnected player reconnects, he regains control of his champion and he can sell back items that AI bought at 90% of its original price.(70% for gold per 5 and Doran's)

7) If the disconnected player does not return until end of the game, all of his IP and XP gain from that game is taken away and distributed to players who completed the game(whether won the game or lost), thus rewarding them for playing in a difficult situation. If a disconnected player reconnects and completes the game, part of his IP/XP gain proportional to his disconnect duration will be taken away and distributed to other players.

8) If a team manages to win the game with one or more leaver against a team without any leaver, all of players in that team will be granted a new honor title named 'Tenacity' for not giving up and win the game in a disadvantageous situation.

My aim is to promote players to not give up the game and reward them for doing so.
How do you guys think about this idea?

lasalite

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

i like your AI ideas, how ever 60 seconds isnt enough.... some times when i die at level 18 and i have a 70 second wait to respawn i like to go choke the chicken and what not.

i think the AFK time thing is appropriate. 5 minutes and its AI

dustyspells

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasalite View Post
i like your AI ideas, how ever 60 seconds isnt enough.... some times when i die at level 18 and i have a 70 second wait to respawn i like to go choke the chicken and what not.

i think the AFK time thing is appropriate. 5 minutes and its AI
Oh yeah. I guess respawn time from death should not be counted as AFK time.

Sairek Ceareste

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

AI's not good.

What if I crashed as Sion for those 60 seconds, had lots of gold in my pocket, and... oh... the AI decided to by a whole slew of items that I didn't want. Like two Doran's rings and a slew of potions when I really wanted that Vampiric Scepter and boots as my AD Sion and the bot bought me AP items instead? Or, what if I am up against an AP opponent and the bot is like "Hue! I'm gonna buy armor for that Warden's mail!" and.... well, I'm sure you know where this is going.

Players who may have had a small mishap feels screwed when the bot buys for them and, all that gold they may have had in lane is totally gone and wasted. And, if the AI isn't allowed to buy, then it's just a farming machine to the enemy team because League is far more item oriented than level oriented, unless you are playing the role of Support.

Best solution to both problems is just have the champion sit idle on the fountain, as it is now.

(And don't even get me in the issue for new players when the bot is severely smarter than all the other players in the match...)

dustyspells

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sairek Ceareste View Post
AI's not good.

What if I crashed as Sion for those 60 seconds, had lots of gold in my pocket, and... oh... the AI decided to by a whole slew of items that I didn't want. Like two Doran's rings and a slew of potions when I really wanted that Vampiric Scepter and boots as my AD Sion and the bot bought me AP items instead? Or, what if I am up against an AP opponent and the bot is like "Hue! I'm gonna buy armor for that Warden's mail!" and.... well, I'm sure you know where this is going.

Players who may have had a small mishap feels screwed when the bot buys for them and, all that gold they may have had in lane is totally gone and wasted. And, if the AI isn't allowed to buy, then it's just a farming machine to the enemy team because League is far more item oriented than level oriented, unless you are playing the role of Support.

Best solution to both problems is just have the champion sit idle on the fountain, as it is now.

(And don't even get me in the issue for new players when the bot is severely smarter than all the other players in the match...)
Well, that is precisely the reason why I have put an option to sell back items that AI bought at 90% of original price. So, even if AI bought Death Cap (3600 gold), you can sell back at 3240 gold. So you only lose 10% of price(360 gold). In the mean time, AI will be earning some gold by killing enemies, so it is better to let AI to control the champ rather than sit down idle in the fountain.
Note that major purpose of this system is to help ally players left behind in the game, so if the champ of disconnected player just sit down in a fountain, it does not help allies at all. If you think that your champ should not participate in the game after you disconnect from a game, that is terribly selfish idea.

LeeSinToVayne

10-10-2012

Says no to AI They are just naturally Stupid...

HERE LET ME ENGAGE ON THIS 5v1

HERE LET ME CHASE THIS GUY WHILE HE KITES ME!!!!

AI not a smart idea

SchiefSalmon

10-10-2012

I'd be all for it if there was some "expert" AI that didn't suck, but the current AI would get roflstomped and fee the enemy team hard at any ELO above 1000...

I'd like to see an idea tested. What f there was a seperate type of queue, one where you got put into a game already in progress that has a leaver? being kicked for AFK or DCing and not reconnecting within 5 minutes should be long enough.
This idea could go horribly wrong for many reasons but overall it doesn't seem like a bad idea on paper. The main issues I can see would be the new player not knowing the champ well or actually being much better at the champ and turning the game.

Also if this was implemented then this would be the only time I'd approve of having a votekick added, the team should be able to decide whether or not the new player stays to try and prevent the system being used by trolls.