Advice on Playing Jax?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ArcaneAddiction

10-06-2012

I'm still fairly new, level 21, and certainly not a great player yet, fully admitted. My primary for awhile has been Evelynn, but I wanted to branch out a bit, so I tried Jax.

He is interesting...but I just cannot seem to come out positive with him. A few reasons that I've observed:

1. He is dreadfully slow compared to Ev; I'm used to pretty much flying everywhere. Because he's so slow I've had to give up on aggressive summoner spells and go with ghost and teleport, just to try to survive/hold tower.

2. I have major difficulty leveling with him. Until level 6, he is pitiful at farming, and even then, I will still get a lot less cs than my partner because they are just faster. Because of this, I don't have items nearly as fast as I should, have a hard time surviving fights due to being underleveled, and it's made even worse due to the fact that I'm going back every few minutes to heal.

3. On the 'lack of items' issue - I know this is probably a big mistake on my part, but due to being underleveled, I have wound up trying to get early hp/magic resist/armor items instead so I'm not trampled so much, but it does mean that important stuff falls by the wayside, like finishing my boots or getting offensive items. I'm sure this only compounds the problem, but I wind up feeling like I have no choice because I'd rather not die in every little skirmish.

4. As I'm only level 21, I only just got runes a little bit ago, and I set up my rune page all AP because of Evelynn. It's going to take a little while to save up enough to get a more hybrid setup. I'm not sure just how much of a difference this would make though.

I've been attempting to follow this build: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...1040#chapter17

If anyone knows of a better build, please let me know. Also, as I'm not often in games with junglers yet, I'm never solo top. Is this what's making it so difficult, because of the farming issue? Should I be trying to jungle with him instead?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm about ready to give up on him.

mambawarrior

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

Firstly: What? Jax is faster walking than Evelynn, and he has a leap instead of her speedboost.

Anyway, more to the point, I suggest that if you have trouble leveling up, you may want to consider jungle Jax. He is a quite efficient jungler, mostly because of his Dodge. Buy some lifesteal and a bit of armor, and your jungling will be easy (wriggles lantern and ninja tabi are amazing). Make sure to ask for a "leash," where someone hits whichever jungle monster you start at, causing it to chase them and let you get free hits. I don't really find that guide very good, as Rylai's and Atma's are pretty bad on Jax.

Jax's best strength is most likely his dueling ability after lvl-6. If you see an opponent out of position, be sure to leap strike onto them and unload, using counterstrike as soon as they turn to fught back. This works especially well against melee AD carries (Fiora, Yi, Tryndamere), which are prominent in low lvl games.

Duo top with Jax is fairly bad.

ArcaneAddiction

10-06-2012

In response to the first: I get boots of mobility with Ev, which means that combined with her w, it is super fast to get back to my lane after going back. This is more what I was referring to, and why I was having to take teleport. Also, when running away from a slightly faster champ, sometimes there are no allied creeps or wards to leap to, which in this situation makes the leap useless for retreat. Hence, taking ghost.

My last game with him I did try jungling, but couldn't take blue level one, even with a medium leash. I nearly died doing it, had to take health pots, which messed up the rest of my route. I was waaaay behind because of it. We wound up 4v5 early though and I had to stop even attempting to jungle, but still. I have not jungled much, so I'm sure I'm doing a bunch of things dreadfully wrong. Maybe I'll try again but take the small creeps til I can get my e and w.

I am aware I'm terribly noobish. My apologies.

mambawarrior

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

If you have trouble jungling, try taking cloth+5 health potions as your first items.
Also, you referred to "farming small creeps until i can get my e and w."
E should be the FIRST skill you take when jungling. Use it as soon as the monsters stop chasing the leasher and turn on you. W should be taken second, and Q should be taken only when you plan to gank.
It is often beneficial for a Jax player to carry 2-3 wards around for escapes.

ArcaneAddiction

10-06-2012

Yeah, taking E first would make a lot more sense. Was following the skill order on that other guide, but obviously that doesn't work for jungling.

I'll remember about the wards. Thank you for all your advice.

Its Fizz Khalifa

10-06-2012

yes

Pobbes

10-06-2012

All the advice here is pretty good. Always E before Q in jungle. I actually prefer to get level 2 Q mostly to have an escape option in the event of a counter jungle gank at red. However, W is the better level 2 skill for clearing speed. Wriggle's is a great item, but is not core even on jungle Jax. The free ward is nice to have a ward for escape even without a ward in your inventory, but jax doesn't need lifesteal. I often build a longsword or vampire scepter first followed by sheen (this provides your first damage spike that makes ganking much more reliable). I often find myself building a pickaxe next since it stacks well with sheen and I just always seem to have around 1000 gp at this point. Then I finish trinity and build rageblade. These two items I see as the core of Jax. Gunblade is nice, but not necessary. Just rageblade and trinity will do the trick. I find everything past that is situational. The rylai's atma combo seems to fit, just because of the stats and the math, but really jax is best suited to be built offensively relying on his ult to provide his defenses. Wit's end is much better for an item provides defense and a bonus since Jax does well with pushing Jax's attack speed to near the cap. For armor, I do get a chainmail but usually don't get past that, but i would build into GA since Jax's Q provides a reliable escape at respawn. Again, gunblade is nice, but I find rageblade to be a better and earlier investment.

Nishaven90

10-07-2012

First off, don't use that build. Dyrus' build on LolPro is much more detailed and better. The build that you are using is written by a 3v3 player and is not very effective on Summoner's Rift.

Typically you do not want to be starting off with a Doran's item. Boots 3 or Cloth 5 are the best starts for Jax in the lane and jungle. In the jungle, taking Empower at level one is honestly better than taking Counter Strike, because it allows for a faster clear speed. Max W, followed by Q with one point in E.

Core items on Jax are Gunblade and Trinity Force. Every game you would definately be wanting to get these at some point. Other good damage items are Wriggles, Rageblade, Wits End, Maw and Bloodthirster. Typically you do not want to get more than three pure damage items. Lifesteal and spellvamp are definately core and should not be avoided.

Defensive boots such as Ninja Tabi or Mercury Treads should be taken according to the lane match up. Good defensive items include Guardian Angel, Frozen Heart, Randuins, Force of Nature and Aegis.

Masteries and Runes should be a mix of defense and offense. Flat armour and scaling magic resist per level are core in my opinion. For masteries I personally take 9/21/0 to survive early game.

Normally my end game build ends up looking something like this (However you must build to the situation):

Mercury Treads
Gunblade
Trinity Force
Rageblade
Guardian Angel
Frozen Heart

IKorey

10-07-2012

Go to

Championselect.net

Type in jax in the search bar

Click a featured guide

Read the guide

Enjoy pwning noobs in your noob level cause you are a noob.

DmG Apollo

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie Brooke View Post
I'm still fairly new, level 21, and certainly not a great player yet, fully admitted. My primary for awhile has been Evelynn, but I wanted to branch out a bit, so I tried Jax.

He is interesting...but I just cannot seem to come out positive with him. A few reasons that I've observed:

1. He is dreadfully slow compared to Ev; I'm used to pretty much flying everywhere. Because he's so slow I've had to give up on aggressive summoner spells and go with ghost and teleport, just to try to survive/hold tower.

2. I have major difficulty leveling with him. Until level 6, he is pitiful at farming, and even then, I will still get a lot less cs than my partner because they are just faster. Because of this, I don't have items nearly as fast as I should, have a hard time surviving fights due to being underleveled, and it's made even worse due to the fact that I'm going back every few minutes to heal.

3. On the 'lack of items' issue - I know this is probably a big mistake on my part, but due to being underleveled, I have wound up trying to get early hp/magic resist/armor items instead so I'm not trampled so much, but it does mean that important stuff falls by the wayside, like finishing my boots or getting offensive items. I'm sure this only compounds the problem, but I wind up feeling like I have no choice because I'd rather not die in every little skirmish.

4. As I'm only level 21, I only just got runes a little bit ago, and I set up my rune page all AP because of Evelynn. It's going to take a little while to save up enough to get a more hybrid setup. I'm not sure just how much of a difference this would make though.

I've been attempting to follow this build: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...1040#chapter17

If anyone knows of a better build, please let me know. Also, as I'm not often in games with junglers yet, I'm never solo top. Is this what's making it so difficult, because of the farming issue? Should I be trying to jungle with him instead?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm about ready to give up on him.
On the contrary, friend. Jax actually is a great farmer, even before level 6. Understand that while he is playable at all levels....you really dont start to see the full potential of a champ (Even Eve) until you hit 30 and can completely fill out a rune page and mastery page. Jax is one of those funny champs that benefits from a slightly hybrid build...but at the end of the day, his rune page is typically AD. Eventually, you'll end up with multiple AD based pages and multiple AP pages depending on who you're playing at the time....and building various playsets of 9 marks/seals/glyphs is only a matter of playing (admittedly, alot).

I play Jax from time to time, mostly as a counter to certain champs (Xin, Darius, Irelia, GP are a few). While I'm not the best, here are a few tips I can give:

1) He feels slower to you because he just has more beef on him as a bruiser type. Correct me if I'm wrong..but doesn't Eve get a slight movement speed increase when she's in stealth? While I also admit I like my champs to move quickly (I'm a fan of Mobility boots in the jungle...dont hit me), remember that Jax is a different playstyle than Eve, and even though you lose some speed going from point A to point B...you gain the ability to take a hit on the chin more often and walk away from it alive. Especially with his Dodge/Jump.

2) Somebody already mentioned that the build you were using is made for TT, and isn't optimal for SR. And as I already mentioned, once you build your full rune page...the difference is night and day.

3) Another thing that will improve your Jax game is picking the right role. You mentioned struggling for cs in lane with a partner. Jax is one of those champs that almost needs a solo lane to be successful in the endgame. If you're playing Jax, try to grab the solo lane up top, or hit the jungle. At your current level...soloing top wont always happen because some games you end up with nobody in the jungle. If you see that happening...take the opportunity to be flexible and go into the jungle yourself. Once you learn how to quickly clear your creeps, and what you're capable of...a Jax in the jungle will make people **** themselves knowing that you could be lurking in the next bush, waiting to jump them, stun them, and put them in the dirt. If you do choose to jungle though, you need Armor seals. No exceptions. Creeps and the buff golems won't hit you as hard, and you'll be able to clear your jungle faster...giving you the option to counter jungle and ruin some one elses day.

Some playstyle tips:
-While your Leap Strike is awesome to close the gap on your enemy to get you into their face...the mark of a good Jax is the ability to escape situations that would be otherwise impossible for some one else. If you are low hp, and being chased through your lane or in the jungle...remember that you can also Leap to neutral, friendly, and enemy creeps, as well as friendly wards and team mates. If you can consistently pull this off, you'll have your lane opponent and the whole team pulling their hair out trying to kill that slippery Jax, and possibly create situations that cause the enemy to over-extend and make foolish plays that can cost them their life or even the game.

-Learn to abuse the hell out of your Counter Strike. Take note of certain enemy champions that completely depend on their auto-attacks to do their damage. Leap to them and get in their face...and when they start to panic, roll their face across the keyboard to dump every cooldown they've got on you...that's when you take the opportunity to Counter Strike. Not only are they doing very little to no damage to you, but after your 2 seconds of dodging, they end up stunned. Sometimes people underestimate a 1 second stun...but when you've got even half of your full build, you should end up mowing them down before they have time to react. This is where summoner spells like Ignite come in handy. Even if you dont kill them by the time your stun wears off, and they are running away back to their turret...if you did things right, Ignite will tick away their last small chunk of health to secure the kill. Counter-Strike is what makes Jax one of the best, if not still the best, 1v1 duelist in the League to this day.

Hope some of this helps. Stick with it and keep grinding IP for your rune sets, and keep your eye on the prize at lvl 30. When you finally get there....that's when the real game begins. Good luck Emilie~