Support. The Catch 22

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grollm

10-08-2012

Hello everyone. I am one of those players that steps up to bat and can fill in any role that is needed to make the team work and make sure that we do well. That usually means that I have to support. I have no problem with supporting, but it just sucks when no one else is willing to support. It's fun to support sometimes and don't get me wrong I've had some badass pulls with Blitz or some clutch silences with Soraka, but it would be nice sometimes to be one of the people getting the kills on the team, not just the helper. With that being said, if I have a person who is an awesome carry I will support them all day, any day. So that means if you're going to fight to be the ad carry, please be good. There is nothing worse than playing support with a carry who can't carry, because if you're a good support you aren't really able to do much if your carry is terrible. So for all you people who do not want to play support I encourage you to try it and understand it. Becoming a good support has made me a much better ad carry, because I know the limitations of my support, I know what he or she can and cannot do. There is nothing worse than the Graves that charges in against Vayne/Blitz when the ward in the river has just gone out and then gets destroyed and says. "WTF SORAKA??? NO HELP? /all Report Soraka Noob Support." Just sayin.

SentinelOfPain

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

I'm usually forced to play support a lot as well, but what makes me angry is when I have to support in ranked games because NOBODY ELSE "knows" how to support. Then I watch not only the adc fail, but top and mid as well. When you play a support, you have 0 carry potential and barely any direct way to influence the outcome of the game.

That aside, playing support does have an affect on how well you can play an adc, and it increases your map awareness significantly. I would recommend that anyone that wants to get serious about playing the game play support for awhile.

TeknoWizard

10-08-2012

Had a game like that recently. Had a Vayne who would roll onto a Taric, get blown up, then blame me. Not much you can do but offer constructive criticism.

mnun

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelOfPain View Post
I'm usually forced to play support a lot as well, but what makes me angry is when I have to support in ranked games because NOBODY ELSE "knows" how to support. Then I watch not only the adc fail, but top and mid as well. When you play a support, you have 0 carry potential and barely any direct way to influence the outcome of the game.

That aside, playing support does have an affect on how well you can play an adc, and it increases your map awareness significantly. I would recommend that anyone that wants to get serious about playing the game play support for awhile.
Implying that a good support isn't game changing. A taric flash stun ultimate can rip the carry apart. Soraka heals can become some of the best turnarounds. Don't get me started on blitz/ alistar initiations

Skumbag Ryan

10-08-2012

I can play support, and I do enjoy it. But I'm not a great support. might try getting better at it.

SentinelOfPain

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnun View Post
Implying that a good support isn't game changing. A taric flash stun ultimate can rip the carry apart. Soraka heals can become some of the best turnarounds. Don't get me started on blitz/ alistar initiations
Sure, supports CAN be game changing, a Sona ult in a teamfight can turn it in your favor, but if you think for even a second that a competent or even just a fed opponent will let you turn that game around, then you have something wrong with your head. A fed Vayne or Kog (fed by your bot adc by the way) will take down your entire team in a matter of seconds.

Let's just say your mid did well, but your adc and top fed really hard. Your little Taric flash stun ult combo will end at the flash and stun, and then your Taric will be instantaneously demolished by say Yorick's burst of ghouls and whatever mid threw onto him. After that if any of your opponents have cc left they will take down your pathetic ADC and then proceed to devour the rest of your team.

The point is, you will NOT be carrying, you will NOT be doing damage, and your cc will most likely either be wasted or will fail its purpose, not at your fault of course but by your team's human error. The best part is, it's all your fault because you're the support and didn't heal/stun/silence/ult on time, and we all know it's never the adc's fault for running in and dying instantly. /sarcasm.

Grollm

10-08-2012

I think it's a tiered. Support is important. I think ranking the lanes generally speaking from 1 to 5(1 being the most important 5 being the least important). I think it would go something like this 5. Top 4. Mid 3. Jungle. 2 & 1 Adc and Support. Now obviously if your bot lane sucks and your mid does amazing you can still do well, or if your jungle does well you can still turn it around, but if top does really well and both mid and bot feed, you aren't going to have too much ability to turn the game around being a fed bruiser. It's an equation. In the perfect situation bot dominates in cs and kills, top holds their own, mid holds their own, and jungler puts constant pressure on all the lanes, but not ever game is going to be that way. I've had a game where my bot lane was horrendous mid was ok, top was ok, and I was able to carry the game with WW jungle.

phil002

10-08-2012

i think what he means to say is that you will probably get wrecked without a decent support, but a great support cant really turn the game around if the ADC is bad

mnun

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil002 View Post
i think what he means to say is that you will probably get wrecked without a decent support, but a great support cant really turn the game around if the ADC is bad
Exactly this. I main support whenever I play ranked, and I've had some lousy adc's. But if a support keeps vision up, actually does their job, then the rewards will be great.
Also, not **** you won't carry as as a support, they lack damage as you said. Their job is to give others to have that damage, to ensure that they are protected and safe.

OriginalJack

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grollm View Post
So that means if you're going to fight to be the ad carry, please be good.
Could we expand this to apply to people who fight to be mid, top, jungle or support as well?