Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Beginner Builds with pre-Rune section?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FaceRoll13

10-06-2012

Are there any builds with a pre-rune section?

e.g. Warwick and jungling.
I assume, he needs the full set of Runes to jungle as per the guides, or am I wrong?

What can he get away with, with no Runes and few masteries?

TwistWrist

10-06-2012

He can get away with it. He'll just be slow. Personally, I'd do Udyr or Nunu. I've done full clear with Phoenix Udyr with no runes/masteries or even a leash. Nunu's clear isn't as fast but he can gank earlier and has a pretty good transition into the team phase. Plus, Nunu's consume is helpful if the enemy team has no jungler. Can kill the enemy big buffs pretty quickly as well as your own.

FaceRoll13

10-06-2012

Not just junglers, but other Heroes as well.

Can we make the assumption that the basic build will be along the same lines, or will there be major changes due to the lack of Runes and Masteries?

TwistWrist

10-06-2012

Honestly, not really. I for the most part just followed level 30 guides for laning. Sure, I'll have less damage and defense but so does everyone else.

Junglers have big issues though. Generally has to build more defensive like open cloth + 5 pots on more champs.

ACGIFT

10-07-2012

For the MOST part the build guides will be the same as for those with runes, just slower; laners, too, will be a bit slower at gaining gold, as they will miss a number of last-hits due to reduced starting AD/AP/magic pen, even if it also wasn't for their still-developing skill at last-hitting. The only possible difference is that it might be more recommended to take a Doran's instead of the boots+pots that are the standard for pros.

Masteries are a little different, since you will have at least 1 mastery point no matter what; it's just figuring what to prioritize. In short, I'd look to see what the level 30 guides emphasize, and try to get what you can. I almost INVARIABLY recommend making sure you got masteries to boost your summoner spells first, and then go for other things; fortunately the first few tiers of masteries are on pretty basic stuff so it'll be kinda clear-cut.

Jungle builds, as TwistWrist said, will have to be more defensive; without runes I might stick to the more sustainable champs, (Nunu comes to mind) and NEVER start with boots, but armor+pots instead; that way it balances out in your timings; you'll overall be slower, but still be able to make it to the end of your first round in roughly the same shape. Fortunately, because the laners will be slower too, you shouldn't really be any behind.

Burbinator

10-07-2012

Quote:
The only possible difference is that it might be more recommended to take a Doran's instead of the boots+pots that are the standard for pros.

Why would you do that?

ACGIFT

10-07-2012

Quote:
Burbinator:
Why would you do that?

Doran's would compensate for tankiness, sustainability and (in the case of the ring/sword) loss of offensive power that almost invariably be what you'd be taking runes for. As you lack the runes for such a setup, the benefits from a Doran's make up a bigger difference by comparison. Similarly, because (ostensibly) your opponent will ALSO be lacking runes+masteries, so you won't need the mobility as much. And, of course, junglers aren't as much a constant threat, so you're not going to get ganked as early or often, ALSO making boots less important.

Lastly, lower-level summoners tend to be less skilled; it generally takes more skill to get the most advantage out of that +50 starting speed, while a newer player would, with their skill level, be more likely to derive stronger benefit from other base stats than movement speed.

Supafly GLHF

Recruiter

10-07-2012

No brainers but.....

Leash + Smite = always helpful

The thing under lvled players need to remember is that a leash (no matter the lvl is helpful) but without full runes or masteries jungling can prove to be a challenge for players not used to it.

TwistWrist

10-07-2012

Doran's do not compensate for sustain.

Ring is largely useless since if you needed mana for sustain, you'll just start at blue buff. The 3% life steal on Doran's blade is just not enough. And the +80 health is nothing compared to have 5 pots.

As for shield, it gives 96 health per minute and 120 base health. 5 pots and cloth armor on the other hand is more armor and 750 health from pots.

Invariably, comparing routes that start Doran's is a less sustained route. Boot + 3 pots is even more sustain than Doran's Ring/Blade.

Burbinator

10-07-2012

Quote:
ACGIFT:
Doran's would compensate for tankiness, sustainability and (in the case of the ring/sword) loss of offensive power that almost invariably be what you'd be taking runes for.

With the exception of akali passive, there is no threshhold of "good enough" damage/ap/whatever at level 1. Just because you also have AD runes doesnt' mean that a dorans blade helps you less at level 1. But boots start is still stronger, regardless.

Quote:
Similarly, because (ostensibly) your opponent will ALSO be lacking runes+masteries, so you won't need the mobility as much.

Only if they also fail to take boots lol.

Quote:
And, of course, junglers aren't as much a constant threat, so you're not going to get ganked as early or often, ALSO making boots less important.

this is kind of a good point

but in the case of a new player, wouldnt they ALSO value the sustain from boots 3x start a lot more compared to dorans? as they lack the skill to efficiently avoid harass/minion damage as well. I don't see how in any case, regardless of skill level, the sustain does not outweigh any possible dorans start. Only if i were a pro vs noobs and wanted early dorans on someone like riven to get fb easily (don't care about long term harass, confident in killing early and recalling).