At what point if any does Riot slow down on champion releases?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ajido

10-06-2012

I was discussing this with a friend today and we were comparing LoL to Dota, which I believe has somewhere around 100 heroes..that's not an exact number. LoL is pretty close to that too right now. The major difference is in Dota you don't have to unlock anything, so all 100 are available to every player in the game. Conversely in LoL, you have to unlock them to play them assuming they're not in the free rotation or it's ranked.

Eventually you run into a problem where the game becomes too difficult to learn for new players. This is why Dota is partially daunting for players to learn, because it's so many abilities for so many heroes to learn (Dota also punishes bad play more with gold loss so that doesn't help). Magic the Gathering has this problem now too. It used to be a fun, accessible game for pretty much anyone to pick up. These days I believe there are over 10,000 different cards in circulation, and it's just too much to get into.

If LoL continues to release champion after champion every 2 weeks, were gonna be over 150 in a couple years (I like to hope and think LoL will still be kicking and going strong in 2014). I'd like to know if Riot is okay with that, and what their long term plan is for the game. Will they just keep releasing champions until the game eventually dies out in 5-10 years?

Felza

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

i actually think for dota its still kinda different. Dota has a high skill floor due to harsh and player-unfriendly mechanics and control which does not exist in LoL. i m pretty sure 150 champs is alot, but it isn't TOO MUCH to Learn quite yet.

XElement

10-06-2012

Riot earns their money off of Champions/Skins.
So, I can't really imagine them stopping with champions. Plus, new champions keep the game fun, new and interesting. It is always changing then.

I assume they will slow down once they have trouble balancing 200 champions together.

Lysergik

10-06-2012

The new champs are always going to be op near release and then get nerfed 2-3 champs later.

DESSSILATOR

10-06-2012

yes dota has tons of active items you have to be able to use the courier to do well. its better that all champs are unlocked because you can take the time to learn them.

on this game you will never play them unless their either free or u buy them. it will take an insane amount of time to buy them all.

ive been playing this game for like 2 years and still only have half of them

Firellius

10-06-2012

They already have slowed down a bit.

It used to be every other Tuesday, no exception. Now it's probably closer to every third Tuesday.

Drozzi

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysergik View Post
The new champs are always going to be op near release and then get nerfed 2-3 champs later.
Syndra.

Vrouge

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESSSILATOR View Post
yes dota has tons of active items you have to be able to use the courier to do well. its better that all champs are unlocked because you can take the time to learn them.

on this game you will never play them unless their either free or u buy them. it will take an insane amount of time to buy them all.

ive been playing this game for like 2 years and still only have half of them
I know I'm gonna get downvoted for this but there is only one reason for why champions have a price tag... to make money. Riot could easily survive on just selling skins but they're a little on the greedy side. Having all the champions unlocked would just allow for a much more natural flow of meta-games and play-styles as opposed to being forced to unlock champs and only play the ones you have or are on free rotations.

ubertook

10-06-2012

The balance issue is important as well.