Riot's BIGGEST mistake with world playoffs

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ICEverfrost

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotTiza View Post
As the lead referee for this event, let me respond.

We keep a constant watch on all the players on stage at all times. We have cameras as well as live people walking onto stage to keep tabs in everything. All players are told that they need to remain sitting, facing forward, and with headphones on at all times, including during pauses. I can personally confirm that no WE player looked at the minimap at any point during the match.

Players make eye contact on stage fairly regularly. Team WE in particular talked directly to each other a good amount. A single, limited camera view with a field of a few feet is not enough to determine where a someone is looking on a cross-stage scale. We directly monitor players to assure this is not the case, and maintained due diligence at all times over the course of the event.

Say what you like about WE's gameplay, but they did not jeopardize their chances of staying in the tournament by looking at the minimap (EDIT for clarity- because they didn't look at the minimap. If they had looked at the minimap, it would have jeopardized their standing in the tournament. I am not, in any way, condoning any player who gains an unfair advantage from any means).
How to you explain the ping only 15 seconds into the match then? I don't understand how they could do that if they hadn't seen something. I believe that you were all doing your job as best as you could, and I understand how Live events are. I don't even blame Azubu Frost is to blame if the screen was clearly in their field of view. But if they could see it during the pause while looking at their teammates, this is a problem. Please review the cameras on them and any audio recordings you have of them if possible with a translator. I feel this is something that must be investigated as many others do to. More importantly though, this is just another reason to put players in booths in the future.

JiPi00636

10-07-2012

First time I post on this forum. Just wanted to say how sad this is. I wish you guys would man up and admit you did a mistake and fix it for your futur events!

When you are going to give that much money, maybe you could build a sound proof / notabletowatchtheminimap booth

CristinaVeeFan

10-07-2012

bump for justice

DevilJade

10-07-2012

I've been following this thread since late last night, I stayed up till about 3 AM reading and am now catching back up.

I'm glad all this has been brought to the communities attention, and the OP has done a great job keeping relevant info and making sure there is minimal speculation involved.

I just want to throw my opinion in here, because I think it's important to reiterate what really deserves our focus and attention.

At this point, this shouldn't be about WHO cheated (I'm seeing lots of posts regarding this), the single most important fact about all of this is that CHEATING APPARENTLY WAS POSSIBLE.

That trumps anything else IMO, because IF it indeed was possible to see the minimap, this created a HORRIBLE situation for all the parties involved, and no matter what there will be a huge tarnish to this tournament. I feel really bad for all the teams if this ends up blowing up, because the winners will be claimed to not be legitimate, the losers can claim foul play, and Riot will be between all of this.

Rachel

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indekkusutaku View Post
I know that feeling...
But anyways his head is tilted back as well, your diagram doesn't account for that, or at least doesn't seem too.
here's a more in depth look at what i'm seeing in this picture
http://i.imgur.com/WGko1.jpg
head is tilted up but eyes are not (as far as i can tell from a low quality pic)
I'm not a mathematician though so these angles are just mostly estimations and guesses

Vercinaigh

10-07-2012

I agree this is bull****, this whole tourney has been one big joke. riot will not get one dime from me ALL this coming season until they prove they're worth it at season 3 World Championship.

windwhispers

10-07-2012

Going to have to hit them in the wallet. Everyone who wants Riot to take this seriously should avoid buying RP until it is satisfactorily resolved.

Praetor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotTiza View Post
As the lead referee for this event, let me respond.

We keep a constant watch on all the players on stage at all times. We have cameras as well as live people walking onto stage to keep tabs in everything. All players are told that they need to remain sitting, facing forward, and with headphones on at all times, including during pauses. I can personally confirm that no WE player looked at the minimap at any point during the match.

Players make eye contact on stage fairly regularly. Team WE in particular talked directly to each other a good amount. A single, limited camera view with a field of a few feet is not enough to determine where a someone is looking on a cross-stage scale. We directly monitor players to assure this is not the case, and maintained due diligence at all times over the course of the event.

Say what you like about WE's gameplay, but they did not jeopardize their chances of staying in the tournament by looking at the minimap (EDIT for clarity- because they didn't look at the minimap. If they had looked at the minimap, it would have jeopardized their standing in the tournament. I am not, in any way, condoning any player who gains an unfair advantage from any means).
Now, you alone with this stance has jeopardized Riot's reputation as an event organizer by holding strong to this nonsense even in the face of evidence. Those measures you mentioned and you don't want to enforce the rules as they stand? I would hope someone might help you find a field inside the company you're perhaps better suited to, as you've sullied this event with this stance. Hopefully, after some rest, your senses come back to you enough, or perhaps your integrity, to make the right call because it's the right call.

BrightnShiny

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
here's a more in depth look at what i'm seeing in this picture
http://i.imgur.com/WGko1.jpg
head is tilted up but eyes are not (as far as i can tell from a low quality pic)
I'm not a mathematician though so these angles are just mostly estimations and guesses
Thank you for the bigger line.

BayLife jonnyboi

10-07-2012

They might do wat MLG did and wait until after the tourney is over then DQ both teams. If they DQ them and either of the teams win it all then Riot just saved soooo much money and 100000000000x happy