Trying to decide between these video cards...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1e3c1e7a051088d67dfe4

10-06-2012

So I'm looking to build my first pc. With recording games using fraps being a major goal of mine, I'm trying to cram an i5 into a 600 dollar budget. This being the case, I am probably going to have to skimp a bit on my gpu, for now.

Basically I need a good placeholder gpu, one that will run midrange games (Tf2, Dota 2, Skyrim, World of Warcraft maybe) on high-max settings. I will probably be playing some bf3 multiplayer as well, but high settings aren't important for that (although according to some youtube vids, both of these gpus can pull it off on high in 1080p)
So now the question. Which gpu should I get?

The 6770 or the 7770. I know the 7770 is better, but is it worth another 20-30 bucks when I fully intend to replace my gpu sometime next year? Will the 6770 truly be enough to max both midrange games?

sammich kek

10-06-2012

http://www.hwcompare.com/11926/radeo...adeon-hd-7770/

Let me say that the 6770 is a fantastic card, I actually used it as a placeholder GPU about a year ago. With it I was able to play The Witcher 2 with a mix of high and medium settings. Before the summoner's rift remake I was playing the game on all High settings(not Very High), the good news is Riot says the summoner's rift remake actually runs better than old SR, so you very well may be able to play on very high. The 7770 is a bit better, but I don't think the difference is worth it since you're going to be replacing it soon.

TheFieldMarshal

10-06-2012

Consult this guide: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2634838 you can easily fit an hd 7770 with an i5 for about 600 maybe even an hd 7850!

Aeris Dies

10-06-2012

Uh, why don't you just use the integrated graphics that comes with the CPU until you have the money?

100$ not spent on a placeholder video card are 100$ that can be spent on a better video card when the time comes.

ShadowDark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

Save your money for an extra week or two and pick up a nicer GPU. Don't settle for something mediocre when your goal is high quality gaming+recording, especially not when you're only about $100 away from a really powerful card.

IS1e3c1e7a051088d67dfe4

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris Dies View Post
Uh, why don't you just use the integrated graphics that comes with the CPU until you have the money?

100$ not spent on a placeholder video card are 100$ that can be spent on a better video card when the time comes.
Good suggestion, and I've actually thought about this. Only problem is that being an unemployed highschooler, it will probably be about 5 months or maybe longer before I can buy a graphics card. I don't really feel like waiting that long using integrated graphics.

Right now, I'm intending to get an i5 3470, mainly because I don't want to overclock and frankly a 3570k will be more than I will ever need anyways. I could probably just barely get away with an i3 for recording midrange games, in reality. Hell i've seen people record BF3 multiplayer and get 50+ fps with a 2120. I just want to be safe.

But, if I did grab a 3570 (simply because my savings from a graphics card will allow me to, and still have some money left over) what kind of performance do the intel hd 4000 integrated graphics give? Would it be enough to record stuff like Tf2, dota, league, and minecraft on about medium graphics?

Aeris Dies

10-06-2012

Here are some charts that compare the HD 4000 with the HD 2500. I doubt either can play anything at 1080p, or handle video recording well. If you're willing to live on LoL and WoW (and maybe TF2/DotA 2) until you can buy a better GPU, they're definitely passable.

TheFieldMarshal

10-06-2012

Here, total cost of build is 585, include the I5 you wanted PLUS an HD 7850 2GB 256bit card that can pretty much max every game @ 1080p.

IS1e3c1e7a051088d67dfe4

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFieldMarshal View Post
Here, total cost of build is 585, include the I5 you wanted PLUS an HD 7850 2GB 256bit card that can pretty much max every game @ 1080p.
Wait what? Did you forget a link or something?

TheFieldMarshal

10-07-2012

Sorry yes
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jARa