I am already 17 and my parents still do this... Is this a problem?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

unrestrained Freedom is dangerous, but your aprents just crossed the lane far far ago. i'd also suggest cutting contact with them when you graduate from uni otherwise they'll choose a wife for you, a major for you, name your childrens for you and will take over your life with their freaky control obsession.

Genspirit

10-06-2012

17 and still hasnt found a way around parental control

there is no hope for u young grasshopper

Powerstoned

10-06-2012

@17 you've really waited too long to assert your authority to your parents.

Here's something for you to learn:
When I was 14, I still lived with my very strict/violent/religious dad. Back then, I started not always coming home at night, I did drugs that he knew about, got in trouble at school when I didn't skip. So day by day, I got into more and more "trouble". Video games, guitar, tv, phone, going out with friends, even the door to my room, all got taken away from me as punishment.

After a while I was essentially grounded from everything...forever.
So guess what happened when I decided "fck it, I'm going out and coming home tomorrow".
I got grounded from everything, forever. again.

So the next night I came home, I did what I wanted, and went out again and the next punishment I got was....I got grounded from everything, forever. Again.
Know what happened for my next punishment? Right. Grounded from everything, forever, again. He had no power/leverage anymore. Eventually my dad wound up asking me nicely "Would you please come home tonight?" when I left at night.

Take away their leverage. You don't need no stupid computer games and you don't need their stuff.

KonFewShuN

10-06-2012

As long as you live under their roof, and they pay your bills, whatever they may be. You live by their rules, plain and simple.

Powerstoned

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonFewShuN View Post
As long as you live under their roof, and they pay your bills, whatever they may be. You live by their rules, plain and simple.
I disagree. His parents chose to have kids, not a dog. Part of the responsibility of being a parent, is raising kids to have respect and become a good adult, not to have blind obedience.

KonFewShuN

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstoned View Post
I disagree. His parents chose to have kids, not a dog. Part of the responsibility of being a parent, is raising kids to have respect and become a good adult, not to have blind obedience.
Respect is earned, not given, i didn't read the OP so i don't know if he's earned it or not. If my kid(s) want extra privileges, they need to earn them. Teaching a kid that nothing they want comes easy is a really good way to instill responsibility and motivation.

c4lm

10-06-2012

I agree with the old fuck.

If you sit around for 17 years acting like a little bitch your parents will treat you that way.

UrsaMinor

10-06-2012

If you're not a little rebellious those types of parents will walk all over you.

poe tay toes

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstoned View Post
if the kid wants to act like an adult, do what he wants and all, then the kid needs to get a job and start footing a share of the bills. otherwise, he's just being a whiny kid and deserves a boot the day he hits 18.

c4lm

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by poe tay toes View Post
if the kid wants to act like an adult, do what he wants and all, then the kid needs to get a job and start footing a share of the bills. otherwise, he's just being a whiny kid and deserves a boot the day he hits 18.
His parents are crazy controlling. I'm sorry but computers are a part of living on the planet earth, you can't ban your kids from them.