Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Need More Magic Resist Items!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Taylor HD

10-06-2012

So I don't know about anyone else but I really think this game needs more Magic Resist items. Let's just compare.

Armor Items

Thornmail: +100 Armor UNIQUE Passive: On being hit by basic attacks, returns 30% of damage taken as magic damage.

Glacial Shroud: +425 Mana +45 Armor UNIQUE Passive: +15% Cooldown Reduction

builds into

Frozen Heart: +99 Armor +500 Mana UNIQUE Passive: +20% Cooldown Reduction UNIQUE Aura: Reduces the Attack Speed of nearby enemies by 20%.

Warden's Mail: +50 Armor +20 Health Regen per 5 seconds UNIQUE Passive: 20% chance on being hit by basic attacks to slow the attacker's Movement and Attack Speeds by 35% for 3 seconds.

builds into

Randuin's Omen: +350 Health +75 Armor +25 Health Regen per 5 seconds UNIQUE Passive: +5% Cooldown Reduction UNIQUE Passive: 20% chance on being hit by basic attacks to slow the attacker's Movement and Attack Speeds by 35% for 3 seconds. UNIQUE Active: Slows the Movement and Attack Speeds of surrounding enemy units by 35% for 1 second + 0.5 seconds for each 100 combined Armor and Magic Resist your champion has (60 second cooldown).

Sunfire Cape: +450 Health +45 Armor UNIQUE Passive: Deals 40 magic damage per second to nearby enemies.

Ninja Tabi: +25 Armor UNIQUE Passive: Reduces the damage taken from non-turret basic attacks by 10%. UNIQUE Passive: Enhanced Movement 2 (does not stack with other Boots)

Emblem of Valor: +25 Armor UNIQUE Aura: Nearby allied Champions gain 10 Health Regen per 5 seconds.

builds into

Locket of the Iron Solari: +300 Health +35 Armor UNIQUE Aura: Nearby allied Champions gain 15 Health Regen per 5 seconds. UNIQUE Active: Shield yourself and nearby allies for 5 seconds, absorbing up to 50 (+10 per level) damage (60 second cooldown).

Atma's Impaler: +45 Armor +18% Critical Strike Chance UNIQUE Passive: Gain Attack Damage equal to 1.5% of your maximum Health.

Zhonya's Hourglass: +100 Ability Power +50 Armor UNIQUE Active: Places your champion into Stasis for 2 seconds, rendering you invulnerable and untargetable but unable to take any action (90 second cooldown).

Madred's Razors: +15 Attack Damage +23 Armor UNIQUE Passive: Your basic attacks against minions and monsters have a 20% chance to deal 300 bonus magic damage.

Builds into

Madred's Bloodrazor: +40 Attack Damage +40% Attack Speed +25 Armor UNIQUE Passive: Your basic attacks deal bonus magic damage equal to 4% of the target's maximum Health.

or

Wriggle's Lantern: +23 Attack Damage +30 Armor +12% Life Steal UNIQUE Passive: Your basic attacks against minions and monsters have a 20% chance to deal 425 bonus magic damage. UNIQUE Active: Places an invisible Sight Ward that reveals the surrounding area for 3 minutes (3 minute cooldown).

Now for the

Magic Resist Items

Force of Nature: +76 Magic Resist +40 Health Regen per 5 seconds +8% Movement Speed UNIQUE Passive: Restores 1.75% of your maximum Health every 5 seconds.

Spirit Visage: +30 Magic Resist +250 Health UNIQUE Passive: +10% Cooldown Reduction UNIQUE Passive: Increases your healing and regeneration effects on yourself by 15%.

Banshee's Veil: +375 Health +375 Mana +50 Magic Resist UNIQUE Passive: Gain a spell shield that blocks the next incoming enemy ability (45 second cooldown).

In Dominion Banshee's Veil is replaced by Odyn's Veil

Odyn's Veil: +350 Health +350 Mana +50 Magic Resist UNIQUE Passive: Reduces and stores 10% of the magic damage dealt to your champion. UNIQUE Active: Deals 200 + (stored magic) [max: 400] magic damage to nearby enemy units (90 second cooldown).

Quicksilver Sash: +48 Magic Resist UNIQUE Active: Removes all debuffs from your champion (90 second cooldown).

Mercury's Treads: +25 Magic Resist UNIQUE Passive: Enhanced Movement 2 (does not stack with other Boots) UNIQUE Passive: +35 Tenacity (Tenacity reduces the duration of stuns, slows, taunts, fears, silences, blinds and immobilizes. Does not stack with other Tenacity items.)

Abyssal Scepter: +70 Ability Power +57 Magic Resist UNIQUE Aura: Reduces the Magic Resist of nearby enemy champions by 20.

Hexdrinker: +25 Attack Damage +30 Magic Resist UNIQUE Passive: If you would take magic damage that would leave you at less than 30% Health, you first gain a shield that absorbs 250 magic damage for 5 seconds (60 second cooldown).

Builds into

Maw of Malmortius: +55 Attack Damage +36 Magic Resist UNIQUE Passive: If you would take magic damage that would leave you at less than 30% Health, you first gain a shield that absorbs 400 magic damage for 5 seconds (60 second cooldown). UNIQUE Passive: +1 Attack Damage for every 2.5% of your Maximum Health that is missing.

Chalice of Harmony: +30 Magic Resist +7.5 Mana Regen per 5 seconds UNIQUE Passive: Increases your Mana Regen by 1% per 1% Mana you are missing. Does not stack with Athene's Unholy Grail.

Builds into

Athene's Unholy Grail: +90 Ability Power +40 Magic Resist +15 Mana Regen per 5 seconds UNIQUE Passive: 15% Cooldown Reduction UNIQUE Passive: Restores 12% of your max Mana on Kill or Assist. UNIQUE Passive: Increases your Mana Regen by 1% per 1% Mana you are missing. Does not stack with Chalice of Harmony.

Lich Bane: +350 Mana +80 Ability Power +30 Magic Resist +7% Movement Speed UNIQUE Passive: After using an ability, your next basic attack gains bonus physical damage equal to your Ability Power (2 second cooldown). Does not stack with Sheen or Trinity Force.

Wit's End: +40% Attack Speed +30 Magic Resist UNIQUE Passive: Your basic attacks deal 42 bonus magic damage. UNIQUE Passive: Your basic attacks increase your Magic Resist by 5 for 5 seconds (effect stacks up to 4 times).

Two items have both armor and magic resist:

Aegis of the Legion +270 Health +18 Armor +24 Magic Resist UNIQUE Aura: Nearby allied champions gain 12 Armor, 15 Magic Resist, and 8 Attack Damage.

Guardian Angel: +68 Armor +38 Magic Resist UNIQUE Passive: Revives your champion upon death, restoring 750 Health and 375 Mana (5 minute cooldown).

So, as you can see if you want to play a strong sustainable tank against a heavy AP team you really only have two strong magic resist items to choose from, the Force of Nature or Banshees Veil. All I'm really suggesting is to either make a new third tier magic resist item or, what i think would be more plausible option, simply upgrade either the Quicksilver Sash or Spirit Visage into a third tier item. Similar to how the Chalice of Harmony can now be upgraded to Athene's Unholy Grail. I think a good idea would be to add a Giant's Belt or a Negatron Cloak to either of the two items. That would make them more useful like the Force of Nature and Banshee's Veil and put it in about the same price range as well.

Well that about sums it up, if you want to see where i got all the info here's the url.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/items#3154

Feel free to leave any comments, suggestions or ideas you have.

EDIT:
Added Wit's End to the list. But it should be noted that as someone who wants to build magic resist I wouldn't and never do get Wit's End or a bunch of other items i added to this list for both armor and magic resist, but if you play a tank you already knew that, just pointing it out

Drukyul

10-06-2012

I disagree with you but I have no rational argument for my position.

TheRottenCrow

10-06-2012

cant add a massive health bonus with magic resist. riot already considered this but such an item combo would just shut down any burst mage automatically. we do need some more alternative choices tho

Sonic Nova

10-06-2012

What they need is an item similar to Thornmail, but instead of returning 33% of autoattack damage, it would return 16.665% magic damage, and like thornmail to armor, it should provide a high MR bonus. Why not this:

Runeward -
+ 85 MR
= Returns 16.665% of all magic damage.

IonDragonX

10-06-2012

You forgot Wit's End.....

And Mercury Treads count as double because no armor item has Tenacity.

Preest HD

10-06-2012

The fact of the matter is that it is much easier to build ap. Even if he forgot wit's end, it is very unbalanced that u have the potential to get much more ap than ad and much less mr than armor. Yes, u can spam auto attacks with as, but with cd some champs, such as: cassiopeia, ryze and other burst mages, can spam spells. Maybe u'd say, "but they're squishy", well there are items that give both health and ap and there is spell vamp xD I'd just like to see some more mr items like maybe another mr/ad item 8)

Oadafas

10-06-2012

great stuff man congratz

agreed!

when i have full build with malz, no1 can handle it
so much ap

maybe some upgrade or a new item for mr could make things better

Estred Shantile

10-06-2012

I certainly like the concept of a MR thornmail but as AP scales harder definitely make the return damage lower perhaps only 15% (Just under 50% of thornmails return).

JustMyBassCannon

Recruiter

10-07-2012

Quote:
Sonic Nova:
What they need is an item similar to Thornmail, but instead of returning 33% of autoattack damage, it would return 16.665% magic damage, and like thornmail to armor, it should provide a high MR bonus. Why not this:

Runeward -
+ 85 MR
= Returns 16.665% of all magic damage.

I have done the math.

Too many times.

To have to repost it.

For people who won't use the Search bar.

A magic Thornmail, balance-wise, mechanically and mathematically would break the game over its knee, spank it with a cast-iron frying pan, and then re-break it over the other knee. There is no way that it would be balanced on an item, and it would be VERY precarious as a champion-specific active spell.

Do not wantonly suggest something to balance a game when you don't understand how it's balanced, please.
Quote:
Estred Shantile:
I certainly like the concept of a MR thornmail but as AP scales harder definitely make the return damage lower perhaps only 15% (Just under 50% of thornmails return).

No, AP does NOT scale harder than AD. You want to know why?
1. AP almost never scales into auto attacks, and when it does, it's less than 100%
2. AP does not scale with Critical Strike
3. Pointing back at #1, AP mostly scales less than 100% on a skill with a cooldown that is, much more often than not, longer than a champion's level 1 attack speed.

And to the OP, do you want to know why there is more Armor than MR? Well, that would be because AP does not scale as well into late game as AD (as I just stated a few lines above).

Taylor HD

10-07-2012

Quote:
Exdeadman:
And to the OP, do you want to know why there is more Armor than MR? Well, that would be because AP does not scale as well into late game as AD (as I just stated a few lines above).

Well that still doesn't change anything. As a tank there just aren't as many good options for magic resist as there are for armor. You can choose between the Force of Nature or Banshees Veil which are great but i would like more than 2 options when I'm getting raped by AP carries