Heed help with starting items for pure tanks

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darkness4910

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-06-2013

Hey guys!

I have a hard time deciding which starting items I would want while playing as a pure tank (Leona, Shen, Rammus, Malphite, (Amumu)).

Normally I go with:
- ruby crystal
- Doran's shield
- boots
- pots

My problem is, unless I build a kindlegem/hextech sweeper, the ruby crystal dead-ends until I get around building a BFT, which happens in like one out of 20 games.

Which items would you guys recommend? Tanks are basically the only class I am having general itemization problems with during the early game (I end up very squishy).

Have a nice day,
Darkness4910

Kaiseresc

07-06-2013

double hp crystal + boots + 2 pots

go for sweeper + aegis. get bulwark if its ap heavy, go for armor (frozen fist, frozen heart, raduin's) if its armor heavy team.
sometimes you will you play tanks that need to start prospect ring, like Maokai, although he can start catalyst too or hp crystal + mana crystal + boots, and rush that RoA. You can start ring with Amumu, cuz that mana...oh boy. I like to fool around with him and start hp crystal + mana manipulator + boots on Amumu. Yes, I go True Shard on Amumu! Malphite might also need the ring since you're REALLY mana hungry from start to finish, unless you get tear. Or go manmode with RoA rush.
on cases like Volibear, although not a pure tank, he can even start prospect blade, but double crystal works too.
Blitz can start with tear, although Im not a fan, and an hp crystal. Or mana crystal + hp crystal, to think about either triforce, or to dream of the sweet frozen fist + odyn's/visage.

but the ideal is double hp crystal. Rammus and Leona have defensive steroids, all they need is hp.
as for Shen, he scales with HP on the regen for his Q.

I really dont recommend doran's shield. I think its poop now. You might suffer more from champs' skills than auto attacks early on, so its a waste.

stormfallen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-06-2013

Sweeper is too good of an item to give up, so that's where the crystal will go 99% of the time. Early Haunting Guise is acceptable on more damaging tanks, and starting double Ruby Crystal is fairly popular (one for Sweeper, one for Guise or Aegis). Your item choice depends on the enemy team and on what champ you're playing; Leona likes the instant CDR from Kindlegem, Rammus and Malphite like Doran's armor, Amumu likes the damage and MP/5 from Prospector's Ring, etc. If the opponent's early damage is almost completely of one type, consider Doran's/Emblem of Valor for physical and double Null-Magic Mantle for magic.

And boots + pots is a given, unless you're starting catalyst.

Darkness4910

07-06-2013

Interesting idea to start with double ruby crystal. Sweeper and Aegis are my favorite items in the game, so rushing them would be fun. Gonna try some of that, thank you very much =)

Volandum

07-06-2013

I personally favour Kgem/Ruby/pot start, which is basically the same as double ruby build wise. Your ruby items include sweeper locket bulwark and guise.

Kaiseresc

07-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volandum View Post
I personally favour Kgem/Ruby/pot start, which is basically the same as double ruby build wise. Your ruby items include sweeper locket bulwark and guise.
that works well with engaging tanks like Sejuani or Leona.

Darkness4910

07-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiseresc View Post
that works well with engaging tanks like Sejuani or Leona.
Isn't about every tank about engaging?

Volandum

07-06-2013

Sometimes you want to peel against an enemy engage comp.

Kaiseresc

07-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness4910 View Post
Isn't about every tank about engaging?
Rammus isnt a good engager, for example. He can get ****ed easily. Amumu, Leona, Maokai, Sejauni are good engagers.
Rammus is better at peeling or, with another bruiser, engaging on someone particular, much like Shen.
Blitz can be a tank for that purpose, but he's not an engager. The grab isnt an engaging tool, its a "**** you" tool heh
Malphite is an engager but I dont like him as a tank, I prefer him as an AP bruiser of sorts. He has limited CC but has an excellent engaging tool.

Duelpower

07-06-2013

I don't play tanks overly often but I tend to start double ruby's +boots myself as well. One is for sweeper and the other is for Aegis.