Season 2 Championships convinced me to play.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xciid

10-05-2012

So, to make a long story short I was bored on went over to twitch.tv. I seed that League of legends was having it's Season 2 World Championships! I watched Mascow 5 battle Invictus Gaming I think is what it was? I was amazed by all the intricacies I saw! I had to get in on this game! So here I am... about to dive into my battle training!

ACGIFT

10-05-2012

Best of luck, and enjoy. A few rules to remember:

• Spin to win!
  • Don't chase the Singed.
  • It's important to do TONS of damage.

More seriously, if you take Garen in the second tutorial, ignore the annoying "stay behind your minions" voice. And:

• Don't rush out to buy a new champion before getting very familiar with them first. There's 10 champions which are free-to-play, which change every week. These often include the newest ones, and a decent variety, so you'll always have an option to try something.
  • Exception to the rule above: there are 10 champions that cost 450 IP. They are so cheap, and for the most part useful, that it'll work to buy some of them.
  • There ARE some champions that are over-powered, and some under-powered, but they're not constant: Riot keeps patching to balance things, and keep it more balanced than other roster-based games. Also, among newer players, your own playing skill with your champion will make FAR more difference than being OP or not.
    • As an example of the above, Master Yi often does great among low-level players, but is generally a poor choice among pros.
  • At lower summoner levels (up until 10-15) you'll find plenty of what are called "smurf" accounts: they are experienced (but not particularly great) players who created a low-level alternate account so that they can over-run new players and feel better about themselves. Don't let them get to you.
  • Don't be afraid to try new things. At the same time, make sure you have an IDEA what you're doing. If you lack any ideas, don't be afraid to ask! This can include your own teammates in-game.

xciid

10-05-2012

Hey! Thanks for the tips! I had the opportunity to read a lot of Leaguepedia while I was at work. There was quite a bit of downtime today fortunately. Lee Sin seemed really cool but looked difficult to master. I am a little biased because of Diamond Prox or whoever M5's player was roaming the map. Master Yi looked like a Naruto fan boy's wet dream and therefore I don't think I would like.

TehomCD

10-06-2012

Welcome! The game has a really huge learning curve - the strategy is really deep in addition to the intricate teamfights you see in these games, plus having over 100 different champions. Try not to get too overwhelmed, since it'll take a long time before you start to remember what everything does, and just have fun with the game. I'd encourage you to try to get friends to play, or meet people in game to queue with - the game is way, way more fun in premades rather than playing with random strangers.

Good sites for learning champions are places like www.solomid.net and www.lolpro.com, which feature guides written by high Elo/pro-level players on how to build/play different champions. The league of legends wikia has a lot of information about more obscure things in game that the Tutorial won't necessarily cover - there's very few random elements in the game, but a lot of obscure/hidden mechanics that can be very confusing. High Elo players frequently stream while playing ranked solo queue games, which can be a great way to learn various tricks, and there's also featured matches you can spectate inside the game client.

Artifictional

10-06-2012

Welcome man, i'm glad that pro play is bringing in new players
The first thing you'll notice is that 90% of the league community is raging 12 year olds, dont let it bother you, just use the ignore function

Hoizengerd

10-06-2012

don't get discouraged with the ****ty community you will encounter in game, there's a lot of rage in this game, try to find positive people to play with before you start taring your hair out