Think I may have finally figured Riven out.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Matt516

09-17-2011

After playing her pretty much nonstop since she came out, I've finally figured out how to play this champ lol. She's very fun, though in need of some minor buffs/fixes (will discuss below). For anyone wondering how to build - here's what's worked for me:

Armor Seals, Mres Glyphs, Arpen Marks, Health and Move Quints.

21/6/3 Masteries - still fiddling with these, not sure what's best yet.

Open Regen pendant - very important!
Merc Treads (CDR if low cc on enemy team)
Brutalizer (or open BF sword if you can)
Vamp Scepter...

And from then on, I build towards Bloodthirster, Atma's, Warmog's, and Ghostblade in whatever order seems to work for my particular situation. Last slot is for whatever Mres catches your eye (I'd recommend Hexdrinker, FoN, QSS, or Banshee's.)

Edit: I see a lot of people recommending Frozen Mallet - this seems like a great idea to me, I'm just not sure which item to give up for it, since BT, Atmog's, and Ghostblade are all very important and that leaves one slot that has to have Mres.
Edit: Did the math, and you lose 15 AD from Atma's for dropping Warmog's for Mallet, so it's only a net increase of 5 AD and the 20% slow at a cost of 45 health regen and 730 health. Unless you're not getting focused at all, I'd say the slow really isn't worth the survivablity - though it's a matter of personal preference I suppose.

With runes and such, I end up with ~36 arpen, ~3500 health, ~130 Armor/Mres, and ~225 AD. If I hit my combos right, I deal decent dps while being difficult to take down due to mobility and general tankiness.

Regarding closing of gaps and such - Happy was the day I learned that E + Q immediately after (followed by W or Q/AA/Q) is the right way to gap close with Riven. Kept trying E + W, which feels like it would work (dash plus stun - yeah!), but in reality usually ends up with you missing the stun and wasting both skills.

That said, I would suggest a few small changes. I think her damage is fine. Wouldn't mind a little more base armor, but I'm sure they had a reason for putting it so low (even though it makes me sad). Here are the two MAJOR things that need to be fixed:

Stun on E needs to be longer OR cast time removed. It's just not useful as a stun right now because you're stunned for the same amount of time casting the spell. A slight AoE buff in lieu of other changes might work as well.

Activation on first tick of R needs to be instant - it doesn't always work, and more often than not you'll end up accidentally hitting it twice and wasting the active, or not getting the buff til halfway through a fight. However, cast time on the active is fine for me. Makes it a bit more of a skillshot, and makes sense that there'd be a small cast time (Riven swinging her sword to shoot a shockwave and all).

In addition, I'd like a wee bit longer dash on the E, but that's optional IMO. Would be nice to go through short walls like Renek, but again, not necessary to fix her.

These small changes would allow Riven to be on par with similar characters (most noticably Lee Sin) - right now, she's fun, but a bit UP compared to the rest of her class.

TL: DR: Riven is hella fun and fairly balanced, but could really use a few small changes to make her viable in competitive play.

D3PRIV3D

09-17-2011

You're correct. She could definitely do with ALL of these changes. My ONE problem is the dash, and that's about it. The combo is effective to an extent (unless silenced mid-way through, of course.) but in order to get an effective combo, you need to use her ultimate. The problem is the ultimate takes too long to cast.. So I agree. She needs a bit of a buff but nothing major.

anu mara

09-17-2011

Riven feels like a champion designed for a different moba, rather than lol.

DorifitoX

09-17-2011

I actually am experimenting with getting a PD on her. PD Infinity edge because her passive crits as well. With just a PD Atmog BF Yoomuu's and CDR boots I was critting for 667 damage. I didn't get a chance to check with Infinity since I didn't get to attack the game ended. But her Passive is included in the crit. So PD Infinity is going to be amazing.

Tiapoa

09-17-2011

Thanks for some ideas, and I agree with your changes entirely.

DorifitoX

09-17-2011

Update!

I just did a bot game with IE PD Yomuu's and Boots of Lucidity and my highest crit was for 837 damage. The game didn't go long enough to pick up my atmogs but with your ult going you are hitting like a truck. Honestly I think the key to her is going to be getting that passive proc as much as possible. With yoomuu's and PD you are at about 1.6~ish Atk speed which means it isn't a chore to get your auto attacks in. You are also at about a 70% crit so you can count on the damage as you are doing your combo.

Ailwuful

09-17-2011

The reason for frozen mallet is really for the slow, feels so necessary on her...

Whitewolf42

09-17-2011

A good build I've found with Riven that makes her both tanky and gives her damage is as follows. I start with boots and 3 health pots in the beginning. Just focus on farming creeps and avoid any fighting with champions since your damage is so low in the beginning. Make a Youmuu's Ghostblade for damage/crit/attack speed and that extra little burst of movement speed to close the gap. Turn your shoes into Ionian boots of Lucidity for the extra cd reduction. Make a Trinity Force which gives her some of everything and most importantly the sheen proc. Then Make a Warmog's, Atma's Impaler and Guardian Angel for survivability and some extra damage. The cd reduction is important because with just the boots, Youmuu's and the cd reduction mastery under the offense tree you get 33% reduction which at rank3 ult gives her a 30.15 cd. With this build you can just use her ult at the start of every fight for the extra 20% dmg. I have gotten a positive k/d ratio ever game since i tried this build.
The order I buy items.
------------------------------------------------------------------
1.boots+3 health pots -> Ionian boots of Lucidity
2. Brutalizer -> Youmuu's Ghost Blade
3. Phage -> Trinity Force
4.giant's belt -> Warmog's armor
5. Atma's Impaler
6. Guardian Angel Armor

Kuriby

09-17-2011

FINALLY a Riven review thread that doesn't complain about her so called "lack of damage"! +1 +1 +1, Kudos to you for actually trying out Riven for more then 5 games and not qqing about damage!

Agreed with the cast times, mostly on her (r) making her feel a bit clunky.

BRAVEYpl0x

09-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorifitoX View Post
Update!

I just did a bot game with IE PD Yomuu's and Boots of Lucidity and my highest crit was for 837 damage. The game didn't go long enough to pick up my atmogs but with your ult going you are hitting like a truck. Honestly I think the key to her is going to be getting that passive proc as much as possible. With yoomuu's and PD you are at about 1.6~ish Atk speed which means it isn't a chore to get your auto attacks in. You are also at about a 70% crit so you can count on the damage as you are doing your combo.
Lol. Good stuff. I might actually try crit/CDR Riven.