was this helpful?

yes 10 52.63%
no dude, :P dislike you so much 9 47.37%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

To all you noobs :D

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MadMad Sickness

10-05-2012

HI new players, here are some GREAT tips that may answer some of your questions, and will help you really get into the game. I advise you read through these carefully. (freshen up on some LoL terminology here http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...inology-151019 ).

First off: SMURFS: PRO PLAYERS PLAYING WITH LEVEL 1-20 ACCOUNTS. Well they're not "pros" pros but they are much more experienced than you and can really ruin your experience early on. I remember when i was a noob and my team fed a nocturne (because we were new of course) to the point were he solo'd all 5 of us and won the game by himself. Trust me, that was no fun. I'm telling you, at the beginning it sucks because of people like this, but IT WILL get better. What you can do is just experiment on AI bots and figure out generally where all the items are at in the base/shop and what they do. And if you think you won't improve playing them your dead wrong, i wasn't able to beat intermediate bots till i was around level 20.

NEXT: WHAT SHOULD I BUILD BRO. Sites on Mobafire, solomid.net, and lolpro.com are helpful for beginners, but don't become dependant on them for builds. Guides are sometimes even rated, so look for the highly rated guides to get an idea of the playstyle of a certain champion. Heres a link: ( http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/champions). I know you hate taking builds from other people (or atleast I did) so for experimentation: 1.go to leaguecraft (http://leaguecraft.com/)-2.click on database- 3.click on champions- choose a champion and click builder- 4. Profit. BUT DUDE, WHAT IF WE LIKE, COMBINED THE TWO?!?!?!?. Thats awesome that you would think of that, see your learning already. Use guides and the build planner to play around with different build combinations. Another thing you could do is find a level 30 player that could help you out.

3rd WHERE DO I TRY OUT MY BUILD. I can honestly say that the best place to learn a champions combat mechanics is in dominion. If you are just starting out, play lots of dominion matches along with normal matches. Dominion has an accelerated gold income, and its not hard to build up your build in a short amount of time to see how it would work. Also, dominion is a game mode where confrontation is constant, you will always be attacking and playing against other champions. Also, champions tend to group more and the re-spawn time is not as long as what it is in normals. However, because the game mode is short you may not completely finish your build. If you find that your beginning build worked great in dominion, finish testing it in AI play or in a custom match.

4th: RUNES, WTF ARE THESE???? Wo there man, slow down a second. You are not ready for those untill you can access the tier 3 runes, otherwise its a waste of Influence Points. If you get them early you will regret it, because IP is not easy to get my friend. The amount of IP your getting as a beginner is higher than what you will get later, and this high IP gain rate will only last you so long. When your more skilled and higher leveled use guides to get rune builds going, but generally get flat armor/mR/ and armorpen/ or magic/pen tier 3s to begin with, and you will be glad you weren't wasting IP on lower ones.

5TH: WHICH CHAMP IS THE MOST OP. The answer: the one your good at. WELL HOW THE HECK DO I KNOW IF I'M GOOD OR NOT. Use free-champ weeks to try out champions. A good champion is one that you feel fits you like a glove (you will know what i mean when you find it). When i found my main, he was soo fun i wouldn't care when i was playing terribly because i was still having a blast. Also, don't worry about if hes UnderPowered or OverPowered. My main is renekton, hes kinda UP but i love that cute little crock to death. I also beat someone with like 2000 wins (i have like 200) the other day so i can say honestly: skill is what makes you. But skill comes with playing and practice. What you can also do is look at champ videos on youtube and their stats on league wiki: (http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...f_Legends_Wiki). ALSO, I RECOMMEND YOU PICK ONE CHAMP AND GET GOOD AT HIM, THEN LEARN OTHERS. You will get confused if your all over the place. After you find your main you can look for champs that are similar.

6th: DO NOT LEAVE GAMES, YOU WILL BE BANNED IF YOU DO IT ALL THE TIME. This happened to me when i was branded a leaver, and i started to get banned after leaving just once. Riot has a program in place that detects leavers and AFKer's that do it repetitively. If you make it a habit it will catch up to you. But if you do it only when you have to, you will be ok. Manage your time more efficiently and play when you have at least an hour to dedicate to a full game. Or you can play a dominion match which don't last all that long.

7th: TEAM COMPOSITION. Generally you want 1 tank character (lots of HP and armor/Magic resist). One Attack Damage Carry (does most of the physical damage on your team). One Ability Power carry (mage does all your magic damage on the team dude, with abilities and stuff). One jungler: ( goes and kills the minions that arent in the lane, you know the wolves and golems that were objectives in the tutorial) so that you get more gold overall as a team. and the last 2 are generally open, but theirs usually a bruiser top ( good damage/armor/ health but doesn't excel in anything), and a support bottom (don't take this position seriously to begin with because you are still learning how to play, unless you like helping your team get kills). Go online and find out what it means to play any of these positions and pick one to go with until you good enough to play all of them. If you figure out generally what each character is, you can also predict which characters will go into what lane and prepare yourself ahead of time.

8th: WTF IS LAST HITTING. I'm still getting good at this myself, practice makes perfect after all. I recommend you watch the tournaments closely (see how the pros do it) and look at videos on youtube. BUT, if your new, this may be way beyond your skill level so don't worry about it too much. Last Hitting is where you last hit a minion to earn gold from it, you don't receive any gold from minions otherwise. Last hitting comes from minion wave control, where you control whether a group of minions will push to another tower or stay put. Last hitting is a way to keep a minion group in place while earning money from that group. Heres a description about gold: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Gold. 10 points to LegendaryLemurs post down below.

WELL, if i think of anything else i will post it. I hope this helps some of you out. let me know what you think of my post. Theres much more to this game than this little thread so keep learning .

If you have additional tips, post them and i will give you credit if i add the information to this post. And if you have anything to say or if this thread helped you, bump it so we can keep it going.

-SinfulKagemusha page1: He recommends solomid.net and lolpro.com as a source for guides. Although i have never personally used these sites, I looked at them and they look great.
-for mentoring from experienced players check out this thread:http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2614493
-WARNING: TwistWrist warns against using Mobafire, as he believes the site may make you worse. And he asks that you don't use the site. Use it at your own risk.
-heres a Q/A and guide thread about some questions related to the game that was provided by TerrorFlop page 3: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2614498. Some of the information overlaps with this thread but there are other things that i didnt mention. Also, TerrorFlop has rune information on the thread so scroll down to see it.

MeltedWater

10-05-2012

Good advice. I know a lot of people say Mobifire guides are bad, but there's so many there. Not all are bad (duh)...I wrote a guide there myself on that site so I must support it. Haha.

Definitely only play bots until you're around level 15 because otherwise you're playing smurfs. It's bad for you, because it kills your spirits and makes you think people at your level are that good. They're not. Just wait until the smurfs are all gone before you venture into pvp.

I remember when I first played my main, Alistar. He just seemed so "right" for me, much more so than the 3 main champs I played before him (Soraka, Gangplank, and Fiddlesticks). I have 15-20 champions that I beleive I can play well enough, but I spend 60% to 70% of my games playing Alistar I'd say. I love the cow so much! :P

TwistWrist

10-05-2012

Except new players can't tell good guides from bad guides. Which is why Mobafire is a bad choice for new players.

LegendaryLemur

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omjax View Post
One Attack Power carry (mage does all your magic damage on the team dude, with abilities and stuff).
It's ability power not attack power.
Quote:
7th: WTF IS LAST HITTING. I'm still getting good at this myself, practice makes perfect after all. I recommend you watch the tournaments closely (see how the pros do it) and look at videos on youtube. BUT, if your new, this is may be way beyond your skill level so don't worry about it too much.
Its just a game its nothing to worry about, but last hitting is arguably (along with warding, objective taking, and probably other things i haven't learned yet ) the most fundamental thing to learn as a beginner. Its not beyond anyone's skill level to practice last hitting in 1v0 custom game and something every novice should focus on, in my opinion.

MadMad Sickness

10-05-2012

k added stuff

MeltedWater

10-06-2012

I'm not re-reading it to see what you changed. So not commenting on it, unless you make it more clear...

But as far as Mobafire guides, you can generally assume that higher-ranked guides are more reliable, but ultimately, I'd ask a level 30 friend which ones are good or to point you in the dirrection of a good guide before taking any of them for face value. My guide personally isn't the highest ranked, but it's also newer. And being newer, it's also "less stale" (although I'd change nothing with my build after the nerfs, it's still considered stale).

MadMad Sickness

10-06-2012

i went in and re-edited some of it to make it clearer. also added a section on where to test builds

SinfulKagemusha

10-06-2012

A couple of other sites that have good guides are solomid.net and lolpro.com

I agree that mobafire is a great site, in fact I used guides from it for a very long time, so I'm just saying the other two as suggestions.

solomid has a lot of good guides and there's variety between them, just like mobafire. lolpro is less variety-oriented as when you click the champion there will be normally only one, maybe two guides for a champion.

TwistWrist

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltedWater View Post
But as far as Mobafire guides, you can generally assume that higher-ranked guides are more reliable
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...egendary-33262

Second highest Singed guide. Recommends Swift boots and a Mejai Soulstealer. Both are garbage.

Only guide that is ranked higher is better but also says that Swift boots works very well on Singed. Swift boots are such noob traps on Singed.

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...o-annie-215398

Top rated Annie guide.

Recommends maxing out Q first which is super iffy but what is worse is that he recommends Q at level 1. Really should never do that. W allows for a level 1 stun which is really useful for the early game jungle invades/protects.

Takes shield at level 3 so you completely screwed up Annie's harass combo from level 3 to 5 and the full burst combo at level 6.

Has Kage on the short build list (really have better items) and offers Doran's Ring has a start item on Annie. There are some mages matchups that opening Doran's Ring is okay. Annie does not have any of those matchups.

The novice part is completely "WTF".

And I can probably do this for any champ. Mobafire guides are just more prone to horrifically bad advice.

MadMad Sickness

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistWrist View Post
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...egendary-33262

Second highest Singed guide. Recommends Swift boots and a Mejai Soulstealer. Both are garbage.

Only guide that is ranked higher is better but also says that Swift boots works very well on Singed. Swift boots are such noob traps on Singed.

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...o-annie-215398

Top rated Annie guide.

Recommends maxing out Q first which is super iffy but what is worse is that he recommends Q at level 1. Really should never do that. W allows for a level 1 stun which is really useful for the early game jungle invades/protects.

Takes shield at level 3 so you completely screwed up Annie's harass combo from level 3 to 5 and the full burst combo at level 6.

Has Kage on the short build list (really have better items) and offers Doran's Ring has a start item on Annie. There are some mages matchups that opening Doran's Ring is okay. Annie does not have any of those matchups.

The novice part is completely "WTF".

And I can probably do this for any champ. Mobafire guides are just more prone to horrifically bad advice.
Yes, but everyone has their own opinions about what is and what isn't good. And certain builds are only viable in certain situations.

"....guides to get an idea of the champ."

".....but don't become dependant on it for builds."

I made sure to state that guides are a means to get an idea of a champs play style, not a set in stone way of playing them. It is understood that there will be some bad guides, which is why i also provided league-craft so new players can simulate builds themselves before testing them in AI play.