@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xengre

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
Oh FFS.

Here is a real-life model, **** and all:
http://static.desktopnexus.com/thumb...gthumbnail.jpg

Notice how she has an actual waist.

What the **** are you talking about, seriously. I have no idea. 'Accurate' to what? It's a T&A pose, it's not in any way a fencing or fighting pose, and prior red posts were about the fencing accuracy of Fiora's model animations, not about her splash art.

Words fail me.

OF ****ING COURSE a swimsuit is inappropriate in many settings.

Again...FFS. Even if we take this vaguely expressed idea of vampirism and predation as gospel (when in fact it's garbage lore), when you look at Vlad as an example of the male vampire archetype, you cannot seriously argue that Eve is a fair treatment of the female vampire archetype.

Your viewpoint is far from reasonable or objective. It is in some ways ignorant, in other ways pure denial, in all ways intensely frustrating because refuting you point by point over and over and OVER again is simply tiresome.
As I said... artist failed to properly depict her waist.

In regards to Fiora.. claiming it is demoing her **** is just crude, and while it is demoing her ass the only real difference from a fencing pose would be her leg positioning. Nothing wrong with minor *** appeal (and that is certainly minor.. yet you claim it to be excruciatingly over the top).

I am not saying swimsuits are appropriate in other scenarios... but to claim that a given style of attire is acceptable in a singular instance and no other is ridiculous. I mean Akali is a ninja with her own culture and traditions and who are we to claim that a given attire is explicit or too extreme. You should be more open about the topic. It doesn't even disgrace women. Such attire does exist in given environments/cultures/classes and is not considered inappropriate. I won't claim it to be the norm though... that's for sure.

Vlad is not a vampire he is a hemomancer... and the point of the theme is lore >.>

RazRio

10-06-2012

I find this thread really stupid,you complain about how gender issues affect you personally, well...welcome to the internet, though not everyone will react to a female player negatively it's not like you had to reveal you are a female playing this game in the first place.

RisottoNero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

Same post from a red again. When things are actually going to change? It's boring to see these threads pop up every few months just to get the same answer but nothing gets done.

lemonchief

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus the Friend View Post
So the best portrayed female is one that respects the middle eastern code of only revealing her eyes?

I bet if every woman was dressed as Kayle we'd have women complaining that they're being subjugated like Islamic women are. RIOT CANNOT WIN.
I don't really think you understand what the OP is going for here. Again, this is a call for more variety. It's okay to have Ahri be sexualized. She CHARMS people (well, charmed) to consume their vital essence. Kayle is a warrior who has been waging a war for ten thousand years. It'd be a little ridiculous for her to be in her skivvies for ten thousand years whilst fighting a war.

Tenmar

10-06-2012

Oh look another, everything in video games needs to be designed the way I want them and not the way the actual developers want to design and create characters.

You know what happens when a consumer actually complains to companies and when companies buckle to try and appease people like the OP? They spend millions of dollars in more R&D and then dedicated time to create a specialized product that will then be released and marketed and then another consumer who thinks that after all the millions of dollars and years of work complains and demands that they think the result is somehow offensive or pandering.

I'm sorry but no amount of RP you buy entitles you to control the product and the choices of the developer. You can certainly criticize and try to maintain certain parts like during remakes but when you demand that "women shouldn't be objectified" only demonstrates how shallow and how prudish you are as a person as you are putting your own personal morality above everyone elses and uses that to dictate what is proper and what is indecent.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-06-2012
2 of 61 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Ironstylus always makes me happy
This is my goal in life.

chumbler

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneato View Post
started talking about girl gamers in being mistreated in the community, somehow got to the standard "stop making hawt female champions". i went from agree -> disagree.
Nobody ever said to stop making hot female champions. We're asking Riot to start making something else for once. Also IronStylus may talk a decent game, but I'll believe Riot's making progress when I see it. Also I have the feeling he still doesn't get the point that female champions don't have to be sexy.

Shaella

10-06-2012

Besides, the whole problem comes down to this, the art style always depicts the same bodytype, there's no large and stocky, no thin and lithe, no shorter and rotund, nothing but swimsuit models, allday erryday

But seriously? We've been having this discussion forever and nothing has changed.

Shaella

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenmar View Post
Oh look another, everything in video games needs to be designed the way I want them and not the way the actual developers want to design and create characters.

You know what happens when a consumer actually complains to companies and when companies buckle to try and appease people like the OP? They spend millions of dollars in more R&D and then dedicated time to create a specialized product that will then be released and marketed and then another consumer who thinks that after all the millions of dollars and years of work complains and demands that they think the result is somehow offensive or pandering.

I'm sorry but no amount of RP you buy entitles you to control the product and the choices of the developer. You can certainly criticize and try to maintain certain parts like during remakes but when you demand that "women shouldn't be objectified" only demonstrates how shallow and how prudish you are as a person as you are putting your own personal morality above everyone elses and uses that to dictate what is proper and what is indecent.
Oh hai tenmar, hows the forums been going?

Achenar

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Words!
Hi IronStylus - seriously, thank you for reading this and for considering variety in female body types, etc. It's great to see this getting some attention!

My pet peeve related to this topic is a recent change - the Soraka redesign. To me, it's taken a character who was not previously hyper-sexualised, who was a little bit ageless (in that kind of creepy way), and replaced her with a kind of vapid-looking T&A 18-year-old. This seems very much counter to your goals of creating greater variety and less objectified characters! Don't get me wrong - the art itself is lovely, and the remodel...well, I don't love the colour choice, but I don't have to! But the change in the presentation of the character is huge, and to me very negative. What were your thoughts around this redesign?

While you're (hopefully) listening - more variety is absolutely what we need. A similar three archetypes for female characters would be great - at the moment we seem to have one archetype with differing amounts of clothing. Something like the Diablo 3 barbarian would be great, in terms of body type - stocky and powerful. Sejuani would actually have been a great candidate for this.

I think the fundamental thing is that there is a difference between 'attractive' and 'sexy' - and while sexy isn't a bad thing in and of itself, when it's all that's available it feels very objectifying, and makes playing a little bit uncomfortable for even a hardcore female fan.