@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

foxyfennec

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

Beefy you just sound like you hate women to be honest and feel threatened. There is feminism, and feminazism lol. The two are completely different.

L2 Sentinel

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbler View Post
It definitely says something about people's security about their sexuality that they think maybe having a female champion who isn't played up for *** appeal (for example wearing very heavy armor) is just completely unconscionable and denies that those players are men.

Somehow the notion that female champions don't have to be sexy is just a completely radical feminist agenda that threatens to destroy all of society as we know it. If Riot started making female champions who are just cool, without also making them sexy, I'd wager the vast majority of the player base would have no issue at all with it. There's just a very vocal minority of people who are deathly afraid that their only source of boobies will be taken away from them. The amount of people who post on the forums is probably not even one tenth of one percent of the total number of people who play this game. Probably not even one hundredth of a percent.
This made me laugh out loud, especially since I was explicitly called a radical feminist for taking that position. Thanks for the many many great posts, chumbler.

AwkwardCrying

10-06-2012

I'm amazed a Rioter hasn't posted yet.

mogonk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwkwardCrying View Post
I'm amazed a Rioter hasn't posted yet.
Seriously?

There will likely never be a red post in this thread. And if there is it will be an anodyne statement along the lines of...

"We recognize this as a concern and are committed to creating diverse and fair portrayals of both genders in League of Legends"

...with absolutely no change in their actual behavior or the content of the game. This is not a conversation they are willing to have, and the extent to which Rioters have participated in mocking and dismissive threads over the past few weeks makes that completely obvious.

chumbler

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogonk View Post
Seriously?

There will likely never be a red post in this thread. And if there is it will be an anodyne statement along the lines of...

"We recognize this as a concern and are committed to creating diverse and fair portrayals of both genders in League of Legends"

...with absolutely no change in their actual behavior or the content of the game. This is not a conversation they are willing to have, and the extent to which Rioters have participated in mocking and dismissive threads over the past few weeks makes that completely obvious.
Be fair. The Riot guy who posted in the pentakill Olaf thread did make posts later that were less dismissive. That being said, the Riot person's responses were the usual boilerplate statement of being concerned about the issue blah blah blah and there still has been little change in content. I fear that we basically got Diana and that's it, then it's back to the normal trend (though again to be fair Syndra's skin is a good one that I do not find any issues with). IronStylus' posts on the subject have all consistently indicated that he doesn't get it.

vvvv You are doing an awful lot of projecting. Most of the feminist stuff I've read rejects the notion that children should go to the mother by default, and the rest of your post reads like it came straight from a MRA message board. What do you think of men who claim they are feminist, then?

BeefyLoveLord

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyfennec View Post
Beefy you just sound like you hate women to be honest and feel threatened. There is feminism, and feminazism lol. The two are completely different.
I do feel threatened. Women have already overtaken men in the mediun earning, A woman can scream rape at me and I will pay a massive social and economic backlash even if she flat out lies thanks to societies brainwashing. A woman can divorce me and talk half of my livelihood at the drop of a hat, but they whine and complain about how all the "Good men" have gone and i am emotionally stunted because I do not see the value of committing to one. . A woman will get custody of my children pretty much by default due to the pressure they have waged on society, even if she is an unfit mother.

I don't feel threatened because they are women, I feel threatened because my human rights and the perception of equality are being further chipped away at day in and day out. I am painted by default as a rapist waiting to happen because I am a tall man and physically intimidating.

I am profiled and judged based on MY gender far more then i see any woman judged these days, in media or law. So yes, i do feel like feminism should start doing something for the equality it "supposedly" preaches. It won't however, because it has never been about equality. It has been about female advancement and always will be.

The nerve to say that "FEMINISM" a word that references the female gender is equality is stupid, if a man came in here and chauvinism was equality? You'd laugh at him. No, feminism is not equality and it does not reflect highly on you for blindly following it. But hey, I'm just a man and not capable of understanding or empathy. I must simply be misinformed, i wouldn't come to the conclusion that I don't like what your movement stands for unless I was a hateful male pig that didn't know any better right?

L2 Sentinel

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyalii View Post
I am a female gamer and there are obviously some issues with some guys treating female gamers like ****, if they find out you are female you must suck. But seriously in my mind that is the only problem I see. I don't get why riot is being harped on. I love the way the female champions look in this game. I want to play a sexy girl character like Zyra or a cute girl character like LuLu. I honestly would not play a female Gragas character because it just doesn't interest me to play a big fat ugly girl. While the outfits apparently are sexual for guys I just think they are cute and make the character attractive. I know plenty of other girl gamers who feel the same way in this game and others. I have never had a girlfriend tell me they didn't want to play a game because the girl characters were over sexualized.

I play other games like shooters and I am really excited when I get to play a female character because a lot of times you are forced to be male. The fact that riot has released so many champions is why I play LoL. There are plenty of girls to choose from to play and I think they have done a great job with the variety they offer. The gender issues that arise come from other players not riot and if you are a female gamer there is never any reason other people need to know that anyway.
You aren't wrong. But I'm not asking for a lady Gragas. A lady Graves would be pretty cool, though. I don't think Riot should go out of their way to make a girl ugly. No one will like that. But they should definitely expand their horizons and make something different. The female lineup is fairly homogenous in comparison to the males.

estelsia

10-06-2012

I upvoted the thread and completely agree with you that vast of female champions are sexualised. However, I think since Riot is a company as you have mentioned, they will prob make champions that will appeal to the male (Either to sell or to keep them playing). But I can't help myself too I mean I play sona,janna support since they are attractive and I love Sona's natural boobs and Jannas figure D:

L2 Sentinel

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeykris View Post
I like sexy female characters. I just like other kinds of female characters too. And female Gragas isn't really what I'm looking for either. There's a lot of room between the two extremes, and a lot of really interesting lady characters live there. Character designs always have to be appealing, but there's more than one way to do that.

I made another thread with these two images awhile ago, and it was surprisingly hard to find good examples for the first one.
Hey, great examples of how to diversify future female champions. +1

L2 Sentinel

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefyLoveLord View Post
I do feel threatened. Women have already overtaken men in the mediun earning, A woman can scream rape at me and I will pay a massive social and economic backlash even if she flat out lies thanks to societies brainwashing. A woman can divorce me and talk half of my livelihood at the drop of a hat, but they whine and complain about how all the "Good men" have gone and i am emotionally stunted because I do not see the value of committing to one. . A woman will get custody of my children pretty much by default due to the pressure they have waged on society, even if she is an unfit mother.

I don't feel threatened because they are women, I feel threatened because my human rights and the perception of equality are being further chipped away at day in and day out. I am painted by default as a rapist waiting to happen because I am a tall man and physically intimidating.

I am profiled and judged based on MY gender far more then i see any woman judged these days, in media or law. So yes, i do feel like feminism should start doing something for the equality it "supposedly" preaches. It won't however, because it has never been about equality. It has been about female advancement and always will be.

The nerve to say that "FEMINISM" a word that references the female gender is equality is stupid, if a man came in here and chauvinism was equality? You'd laugh at him. No, feminism is not equality and it does not reflect highly on you for blindly following it. But hey, I'm just a man and not capable of understanding or empathy. I must simply be misinformed, i wouldn't come to the conclusion that I don't like what your movement stands for unless I was a hateful male pig that didn't know any better right?
The term was coined when the disparity between the two genders was much greater. The female population were the driving force of the movement, and they chose a name that represents them. But they have never asked for more than equal rights, equal pay, equal treatment, etc. If one of us isn't equal, then none of us are.

There was a boy trying out for a girl's volleyball team. The district said he couldn't play. There wasn't a boys volleyball team. Many feminists backed this boy, because perpetuating a double standard is not what feminism is about. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't actually understand feminism.