@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

foxyfennec

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

I think fully clothed officer caitlyn would be sweet

Oh I love arctic caitlyn though that's a proper skin! That's the first one I bought

You missed out Rugged Garen, seriously. The most manly and handsome skin out there.

Kind of reminds me of Bill Sykes from the 1968 Oliver musical :P

BelligerentGnu

10-06-2012

Support bump for a red post

L2 Sentinel

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriMann View Post
Men are more attracted to looks while women prefer less physical things as much as physical so its kind of hard. I'm pretty sure some of the female players would be more attracted to twisted fate or a decent looking male champion in a tuxedo or something compared to going around in skimpy outfit lol. I'm a guy but from personal experience this is just what i experience. The champions are meant to be perfect people thats why the guys are rediculously muscled and the girls are impossibly proportioned. They arn't meant to portray real people.
There are just as many guys saying looks don't matter if the champion is strong.

The Tyrant

Adjudicator

10-06-2012

I read thread title, and i am now going to guess what this thread is about. Either sexism among players, how guys are ******s to females. Or that all the female champions are "sexy", and none of the male champions are.

Zetasphere

10-06-2012

And the obvious downvoting/upvoting trend continues.

Tspuun

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyalii View Post
I am a female gamer and there are obviously some issues with some guys treating female gamers like ****, if they find out you are female you must suck. But seriously in my mind that is the only problem I see. I don't get why riot is being harped on. I love the way the female champions look in this game. I want to play a sexy girl character like Zyra or a cute girl character like LuLu. I honestly would not play a female Gragas character because it just doesn't interest me to play a big fat ugly girl. While the outfits apparently are sexual for guys I just think they are cute and make the character attractive. I know plenty of other girl gamers who feel the same way in this game and others. I have never had a girlfriend tell me they didn't want to play a game because the girl characters were over sexualized.

I play other games like shooters and I am really excited when I get to play a female character because a lot of times you are forced to be male. The fact that riot has released so many champions is why I play LoL. There are plenty of girls to choose from to play and I think they have done a great job with the variety they offer. The gender issues that arise come from other players not riot and if you are a female gamer there is never any reason other people need to know that anyway.
Hi, I'm also a female gamer. It's totally fine that you like to play sexy characters, and no one is saying that we should put a burqa on everyone. However, maybe I want to play a tough character that smashes things. And it's always a dude or a tiny chick who doesn't look like she should be able to smash things but does anyway because **** logic. Also, I'm so incredibly bored of seeing boob plates and other totally ridiculous armor on every female character.

There's plenty of girls to choose from, but when they're all this "default sexy," it's really not much variety at all. Sure, sexy has its place, and it's pretty integral to characters like Ms. Fortune and Ahri, and they are great characters in their own right. It's when every character is an Ahri or a Ms. Fortune to some degree that it not only undermines what is supposed to make those characters unique, it makes them all horribly bland.

L2 Sentinel

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adumbro Deus View Post
It's not the clothes, it's the posing.

Example.

And unfortunately that's a major part of the issue when guys bring up these complaints, because most equate "few clothes" with sexualized when the reality is, that's just a less extreme version of the argument that islam makes towards exposure of say the ankle.

That's why fiora's classic skin art is sexualized, but akali's isn't.

Sejuani isn't sexist in the least.
I love your posts. We are almost on the same page. Posing is most of it, but I do think clothes can play a part when it's in poor taste. Stinger Akali isn't sexualized in the least, but I definitely think default Akali is. Anatomy has to count for something. Her boobs are gigantic. It's like having a male champion with a very pronounced package. Regardless of how he is posing, he is being sexualized.

Shadeykris

10-06-2012

I like sexy female characters. I just like other kinds of female characters too. And female Gragas isn't really what I'm looking for either. There's a lot of room between the two extremes, and a lot of really interesting lady characters live there. Character designs always have to be appealing, but there's more than one way to do that.

I made another thread with these two images awhile ago, and it was surprisingly hard to find good examples for the first one.

chumbler

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeykris View Post
I like sexy female characters. I just like other kinds of female characters too. And female Gragas isn't really what I'm looking for either. There's a lot of room between the two extremes, and a lot of really interesting lady characters live there. Character designs always have to be appealing, but there's more than one way to do that.

I made another thread with these two images awhile ago, and it was surprisingly hard to find good examples for the first one.
You should add Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance's Titania to that first image as well. And if you want to pull in more from anime, Yomiko Readman. I'm glad you posted that, since people like to pretend that the people complaining about Riot's female champion design are exclusively asking for that second image (not that there is anything at all wrong with having champions fitting the second image either).

foxyfennec

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

In all honesty as a girl gamer I don't really care. It would be nice to have non sexualised versions. I worry about what this is doing to the generation of boys who play this game (Yes, no men only boys play LoL).

I don't really see how men can be sexualised anyway. Maybe it's because it is never really portrayed. For me it's few and far between that I think "phwoaaa he's handsome". Rugged Garen does that for me, and Jaime Lannister from Game of Thrones.

I don't think looks are as important to women. Or perhaps men have been groomed to be easily tantalised by looks? I don't know. My ex was fairly ugly, but I just thought that was cute.

For me it's the way a guy makes me feel that matters. Obviously if he has poor hygiene and a gut it's a nono. Oh, and not like Quasi Modo.

I'd agree with unsexualising female champions but not sexualising male ones because it's not possible.

But yeah there are flirtatious females but no flirtatious males. I guess a lot of insecure guys would have problems playing a flirty male champion.